HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2005, 08:45 PM
Modelrater Deluxe
Western Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
1,048 Posts
Western Colorado slope combat event May 14-15

My club is planning to hold an AMA sanctioned slope combat event on May 14-15. The location will be the Flat Top (which is a 750 ft. high hill that is flyable with any wind direction) located just a few miles from Montrose Colorado. We are trying to get an idea of how many people to expect, so if you think you will be able to attend please let me know by E-mail at Quikeee@msn.com or on this thread. I will post more info as it becomes available.

Thanks for your time

Dale
1-26 Flyer is offline Find More Posts by 1-26 Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2005, 10:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
I'll be there!

I hadn't heard of an AMA sanctioned slope event... cool. Hey, all you front range guys, come over and fly.

Here's some shots of/from flattop...

looking south, then north, and from a distance...
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Last edited by Arbo; Apr 11, 2011 at 11:52 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 04, 2005, 11:25 PM
Boulder, Colorado
Joined Nov 2004
599 Posts
Ooooh, that looks like a great spot! How would an AMA sanctioned combat event work? Do they have established rules for such a thing?
SeaBass is offline Find More Posts by SeaBass
Old Jan 04, 2005, 11:51 PM
Modelrater Deluxe
Western Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
1,048 Posts
well actually to my knowledge there is no rulebook event for slope combat. What we are having is a sanctioned non rulebook event. Basically the sanctioning gives us insurance coverage and advertisement in the AMA magazine.
The rules that we will probablly use are from the Mid-Columbia Soaring Society. they can be seen here http://www.inlandempiresoaring.org/A...s/a_combat.htm

Dale
Old Jan 05, 2005, 01:08 AM
Human Like You
Colorado
Joined Feb 2001
1,616 Posts
Time to start training for this one, though May seems a World away after that storm today. I would imagine they'll be a few carloads of us coming from Denver and surrounding locales. Sounds great. Pray to the wind gods.

Rules or No Rules, You've brought this upon yourselves. People, there's only one thing you should fear. They call it "The Boomerang". The Boomerang is strong and wise. Crafty, swift and just plain freaky. You will not easily decieve or befriend The Boomerang, nor will your attempts to outrun it be successful. You'd be advised to bring along a Wizard of some sort or at least a fairly stout helmet.

Like a jungle cat I tell ya. A jungle cat!

Barring any unforeseen circumstances, I'm there. Dale, I'll email you from work tomorrow.

Thank-you. Great idea.

Graham
NewbieX is offline Find More Posts by NewbieX
Old Jan 05, 2005, 01:12 AM
plane obsessed
Denver, CO.
Joined Nov 2003
3,885 Posts
How do we get to the top? Access?
Cody WIlson is offline Find More Posts by Cody WIlson
Old Jan 05, 2005, 08:07 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Cody,

There is a dirt road that winds up it. I take my company car (Grand Am) up there all the time. As long as it's dry, anything will make it up there.

Paul
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 05, 2005, 08:33 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,146 Posts
It will be interesting to see if the AMA will issue a sanction for a slope combat event. I'm not sure if this has been done before.

A sanction is just a way of getting some insurance for the event, it's operators and the owners of the land. It sorta like having a "stamp of approval" from the AMA. You will need to have an official AMA Contest Director to run it.

Most slope events are not sanctioned events unless they are big like the PSS Fest, the Midwest Slope Races, the six-pack etc. Getting a sanction is a bit of a hassle and costs money. So unless your land owner is wanting there is little added benefit to a sanction.

TFLG
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Jan 05, 2005, 09:35 AM
Where's the wind?
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2004
5,855 Posts
A warm up event before MWSC.

I think I can be convinced to come. Are you doing a conventional and wing combat seperately or are they combined?

My combat wings aren't lookers, but there are reasons. Battles scars like crazy.

Well mostly rocks and trees take the wrath of the wing.

Andrew
the_canuck is offline Find More Posts by the_canuck
Old Jan 05, 2005, 09:57 AM
The Predator
Golden, Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
3,565 Posts
Brothers,
We just may need to carpool out there for this. It would be a perfect place to show off the new KILLER wings I'm working on.
One thing is for sure, the jungle cat better go easy on the trash talk or my junk yard dog will be taking a large bite out of the "jungle cat's" hind quarters next time it gets airborn at Zion ! I doubt I'll even need a wizard for that, maybe I can surprize him in his litter box so he has no chance to run!
Just kidding Gram, I'll bring the wizard . Come on out for some practice
Let's think about getting out there! How long is the drive from Denver????
The Predator is offline Find More Posts by The Predator
Old Jan 05, 2005, 10:01 AM
R U killing the kittens?
Chaos, UC
Joined Jun 2003
1,585 Posts
Im there dood !!!!!

love to fly that FlatTop !

It's always good to bring a variety of planes for different lift conditions.

I'm in for the wings and EPP warbirds. ((can my M60 be considered a warbird??? heheh.....what does the Spirit Elite think Dale?...hehe))

I would love to meet you Front Range guys.

((How's the knee Cody? .....I'm still traumatized by your thread pics about it...))

For more info about the FlatTop, directions, GPS coord's etc. go to:

ColoradoGliders.com

(((here's a few FlatTop pics)))

-Michael-
artmonster is offline Find More Posts by artmonster
Last edited by artmonster; Jan 05, 2005 at 10:01 AM. Reason: typos
Old Jan 05, 2005, 10:12 AM
R U killing the kittens?
Chaos, UC
Joined Jun 2003
1,585 Posts
oh...and by the way,

the local club website can be found here if anyone is interested:

Montrose Model Aircraft Association
AMA Charter Club #3814

and as mentioned before, my site, which is just about gliders, and silent flight in Western Colorado:

Colorado Gliders

peace
-Michael-
artmonster is offline Find More Posts by artmonster
Last edited by artmonster; Jan 05, 2005 at 10:16 AM. Reason: can never leave well enough alone :)
Old Jan 05, 2005, 12:10 PM
Modelrater Deluxe
Western Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
1,048 Posts
The main reason for getting a sanction is for the insurance. The site is on BLM land and we need to have a permit to hold an organized event there. Part of the permit requirements is that we have to have insurance with the U.S. Government named as additional insured. Also there are user fees involved that have to paid in advance and those fees are determined by the number of people attending. So in order to get an idea of how many entrants there will be please let me know if you will be attenting ASAP.

Dale
Old Jan 05, 2005, 12:16 PM
Modelrater Deluxe
Western Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
1,048 Posts
We are also kicking around the idea of having some foamie warbird racing. Any interest in that?
For all the out-of-towners I can arrange for reduced rate motel rooms.

Dale
Old Jan 05, 2005, 12:18 PM
Modelrater Deluxe
Western Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
1,048 Posts
The main reason for getting a sanction is for the insurance. The site is on BLM land and we need to have a permit to hold an organized event there. Part of the permit requirements is that we have to have insurance with the U.S. Government named as additional insured. Also there are user fees involved that have to paid in advance and those fees are determined by the number of people attending. So in order to get an idea of how many entrants there will be please let me know if you will be attenting ASAP.

Dale