HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2002, 10:59 AM
Northern New Mexico
Joined May 2001
140 Posts
CNC foam cutter electronics kit--anyone interested?

(Crossposted under modeling science.)

Hi, I'm working on putting together a CNC foam cutter, and a few people have contacted me about helping them out with PCB's. Well after doing a lot of leg work in tracking down parts for my own setup, I got to thinking that if there are enough people interested, I could put together about 10 kits that would include basically all of the electronics needed to put together a full CNC foam cutter with wire temperature control and the works. I would ask about $60 (basically the cost of parts and PCB) plus $10 shipping, and initially I would only do a run of 10 kits.

The kit would include:
All electronics, connectors, PCB's, drill bits (you'll have to drill the board yourself) and cabling needed to build the MM2001 driver board that is used with the french CNC foam cutting software.

The kit would not include:
-4 stepper motors (about $5 each or can be salvaged from old dot matrix printers)
-Power supply--Can be salvaged from old PC
-Hot wire bow and cable
-CNC software. ($30 from the French guys)

I think that the entire cost of the project can be held to about $200 (including software, stepper motors, and bow). I am just starting on my own, and more than anything, I'd like to have other people working on the project at the same time so that we can collaborate.

The design I intend to build requires no machining of metal parts and is basically made whith particle board and high precision drawer slides. I think it would be easily do-able by anyone who can build and fly an R/C aircraft. See for yourself:

http://www.teaser.fr/~abrea/cncnet/table/ta_ag.htm

Just so that you know, I'm not officially volunteering to go through with this, but if there is enough interest I probably would. Just send me a short email if you are interested and I'll get back to you.

Nathan

P.S. The software, and documentation for the controller board can be found here:

http://gm.cnc.free.fr/index_en.html
fregon45 is offline Find More Posts by fregon45
Last edited by fregon45; Mar 07, 2002 at 11:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2002, 06:51 PM
Northern New Mexico
Joined May 2001
140 Posts
I've got just a couple (2) of openings left. This will be first come, first serve.
Old Mar 07, 2002, 07:11 PM
Miami
Joined Dec 2001
1,641 Posts
Sounds interesting, Im in.
reznikvova is offline Find More Posts by reznikvova
Site Sponsor
Last edited by reznikvova; Jul 28, 2003 at 12:34 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2002, 07:28 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,307 Posts
I'm interested, sign me up! Are the two interface boards the only electronics involved? How about specific instructions (in english)? Can you cut sweptback highly tapered wings such as those on a modern jet with this setup? I'm thinking along the lines of an F-4 Phantom with 14" root chord, 4" tip chord, and a wing panel length of 12".
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Mar 07, 2002, 08:35 PM
Huntington Beach, California, United States
Joined Oct 2001
400 Posts
CNC

I will sign up.

We currently use a CNC to cut all our wings, a better mouse trap is always needed :-}

Tom
WingWarrior.com
wingmaster is offline Find More Posts by wingmaster
Old Mar 07, 2002, 09:42 PM
Northern New Mexico
Joined May 2001
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GregG
I'm interested, sign me up! Are the two interface boards the only electronics involved? How about specific instructions (in english)? Can you cut sweptback highly tapered wings such as those on a modern jet with this setup? I'm thinking along the lines of an F-4 Phantom with 14" root chord, 4" tip chord, and a wing panel length of 12".
Actually there about 5 different variations of the driver board, and the one that I'm putting together is the most popular, refined and simple version. It's the "MM2001" driver board, and the full instructions, layout, and circuit diagram can be found in the second link that I provided above. It pulls all of the electronics onto one board (as opposed to seperate boards for each stepper as shown in the first link above).

For a better description of the hardware look at:

http://aeropic.free.fr/indexenglish.htm

and go to "CNC corner -> CNC cutting"

The software can handle taper, sweep, twist (how cool is that?), it can cut slots and holes for spars, and a bunch of other stuff. As for the degree of taper, the only limitation would be the difference in wire velocity, which would cause more melt near the tips than at the cord. I think that this issue has been addressed, but I really can't tell you to what degree. The wire temperature is controlled by the software.

The total travel should be about 18", so cutting a 14" cord should be no problem. As for wing span, just about anything (within reason) should be possible.

For a more complete overall description of the project, get out your french translator, and go here:

http://www.teaser.fr/~abrea/cncnet/e...2001/mmx.phtml
Last edited by fregon45; Mar 07, 2002 at 09:56 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2002, 07:16 AM
Wisconsin, USA
Joined Jan 2001
160 Posts
I too would be interested in this project if still available. Thanks!
Helibee is offline Find More Posts by Helibee
Old Mar 09, 2002, 04:27 PM
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
65 Posts
Hey man, I am very interested! I would like to buy a kit from you please. Put me down for a kit, hopefully you can do a couple extr, and I'll take one! Thanks a lot!

Andrew
blink_boy12 is offline Find More Posts by blink_boy12
Old Mar 09, 2002, 10:32 PM
Jalapeņo Flyer
New Mexico
Joined Nov 2001
97 Posts
Nathan stopped by my house today to show me the progress on his board. It is really a great set-up and he has done a fabulous job on the etching and parts. He claims to only have one hour into soldering on the components and it is nearly done!!! I can't wait to get mine! Now, where to find those stepper motors!

Mike
LittleMoose is offline Find More Posts by LittleMoose
Old Mar 09, 2002, 10:54 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
I would be interested, but I think it would be better if you charged extra and included the sw, ps, hot wire bow, and motors. if it's $20 for motors, $20 ps, $20 bow, $30sw, +$60 kit, that's everything in the box for $150. no variables to get screwed up.
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Mar 10, 2002, 05:49 AM
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
65 Posts
opualuan,

I liek your idea, I would rather buy a full kit then have to go buy seperates where I could screw it up.

My 2 cents,

Andrew
blink_boy12 is offline Find More Posts by blink_boy12
Old Mar 11, 2002, 10:31 AM
Northern New Mexico
Joined May 2001
140 Posts
Hi all, as Mike mentioned, I'm about 80% done with the controller board. It went together faster than I had expected. (I spent about 3 hours on it Friday night). I'll let you know as soon as I'm able to test it out. (and I'll post some photos soon)

As for doing more kits, I am limited to quantities of 10 right now, and I've already got a full group. If anyone backs out, though, I'll let the next person on the list know.

As for doing a full kit, I may consider it in the future as more of a money making venture, but for right now I'm just helping stir up some interest, and not really making any money. As such, I really don't have the time to put together a full kit.

Plus, if I start doing this as a money making venture, I would probably have to start paying royalties to the French guy who designed the board, and I'd prbably have to hire someone to put the kits together, and as you can understand, things just start to get really complicated.

Thanks for the interest, everyone. It would really be fun to see this part of the hobby take off. I'll try to post my parts list in the next few days, so that anyone who is interested can get in on it too.

Nathan

P.S. Thanks for showing off your arsenal, Mike. Your planes are great.
Old Mar 11, 2002, 10:52 AM
iankraus.com/rcvideo
Joined Jun 2001
450 Posts
I would be interested in anyone who can build me a unit for a fee.
I would pay a for the kit to be built as I am not great with circuit boards.
This is a serious enquiry.
thanks
ian
iankraus is offline Find More Posts by iankraus
Old May 13, 2008, 02:00 AM
Joined Mar 2008
1 Posts
cnc foam cutter kit

Hi: I am from South Africa and the parts to build CNC foam Cutters are very hard to get hold of. If you are prepared to help me with the parts, I will apreciate it. I will pay the postage and money into your acount and will give you my email so you can contact me. hopiimp@vodamail.co.za

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregon45
(Crossposted under modeling science.)

Hi, I'm working on putting together a CNC foam cutter, and a few people have contacted me about helping them out with PCB's. Well after doing a lot of leg work in tracking down parts for my own setup, I got to thinking that if there are enough people interested, I could put together about 10 kits that would include basically all of the electronics needed to put together a full CNC foam cutter with wire temperature control and the works. I would ask about $60 (basically the cost of parts and PCB) plus $10 shipping, and initially I would only do a run of 10 kits.

The kit would include:
All electronics, connectors, PCB's, drill bits (you'll have to drill the board yourself) and cabling needed to build the MM2001 driver board that is used with the french CNC foam cutting software.

The kit would not include:
-4 stepper motors (about $5 each or can be salvaged from old dot matrix printers)
-Power supply--Can be salvaged from old PC
-Hot wire bow and cable
-CNC software. ($30 from the French guys)

I think that the entire cost of the project can be held to about $200 (including software, stepper motors, and bow). I am just starting on my own, and more than anything, I'd like to have other people working on the project at the same time so that we can collaborate.

The design I intend to build requires no machining of metal parts and is basically made whith particle board and high precision drawer slides. I think it would be easily do-able by anyone who can build and fly an R/C aircraft. See for yourself:

http://www.teaser.fr/~abrea/cncnet/table/ta_ag.htm

Just so that you know, I'm not officially volunteering to go through with this, but if there is enough interest I probably would. Just send me a short email if you are interested and I'll get back to you.

Nathan

P.S. The software, and documentation for the controller board can be found here:

http://gm.cnc.free.fr/index_en.html
hopiimp is offline Find More Posts by hopiimp
Old Jun 11, 2008, 12:02 PM
Joined Aug 2005
30 Posts
i made one by myself, and it cost less then 100USD
logicalmetal is offline Find More Posts by logicalmetal