SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 07, 2002, 10:08 AM
Northern New Mexico
Joined May 2001
140 Posts
Electronics kit for CNC Foam cutter--Anyone interested?

Hi, I'm working on putting together a CNC foam cutter, and a few people have contacted me about helping them out with PCB's. Well after doing a lot of leg work in tracking down parts for my own setup, I got to thinking that if there are enough people interested, I could put together about 10 kits that would include basically all of the electronics needed to put together a full CNC foam cutter with wire temperature control and the works. I would ask about $60 (basically the cost of parts and PCB) plus $10 shipping, and initially I would only do a run of 10 kits.

The kit would include:
All electronics, connectors, PCB's, drill bits (you'll have to drill the board yourself) and cabling needed to build the MM2001 driver board that is used with the french CNC foam cutting software.

The kit would not include:
-4 stepper motors (about $5 each or can be salvaged from old dot matrix printers)
-Power supply--Can be salvaged from old PC
-Hot wire bow and cable
-CNC software. ($30 from the French guys)

I think that the entire cost of the project can be held to about $200 (including software, stepper motors, and bow). I am just starting on my own, and more than anything, I'd like to have other people working on the project at the same time so that we can collaborate.

The design I intend to build requires no machining of metal parts and is basically made whith particle board and high precision drawer slides. I think it would be easily do-able by anyone who can build and fly an R/C aircraft. See for yourself:

http://www.teaser.fr/~abrea/cncnet/table/ta_ag.htm

Just so that you know, I'm not officially volunteering to go through with this, but if there is enough interest I probably would. Just send me a short email if you are interested and I'll get back to you.

Nathan

P.S. The software, and documentation for the controller board can be found here:

http://gm.cnc.free.fr/index_en.html
fregon45 is offline Find More Posts by fregon45
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2002, 10:14 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,251 Posts
Nathan-

You the man! I'll hopefully be able to jump into this w/ you soon, I'll email in a couple weeks.

Ed
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member