HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2005, 06:46 PM
don't think.. just fly!!!
Littleton, Colorado
Joined Apr 2004
554 Posts
2 new GWS planes...glassing?

ok...just got off the phone w/ tower hobbies and i ordered two GWS planes... J3 and the pico stick... before i do any thing w/ them i want to glass them so they will b more sturdy... is this good? glassing the J3 and the pico stick? should i glass them? how sturdy are they w/ out the glassing? thanks for your time
xoon is offline Find More Posts by xoon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2005, 06:53 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
Dymond say mix acrylic water color paints with thinned down Elmers glue to harden the foam and cover LE of wing with clear packing tape
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Old Jan 02, 2005, 07:14 PM
Littleton, Colorado
Joined Apr 2004
554 Posts
on which one...J3 or pico stick? if i don't want color can i leave out the paint and just use the glue instead? which kind of elmers glue would i use..wood, of just regular school glue?
Old Jan 02, 2005, 07:18 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
Any, for hardening foam surfaces, and yes U can use without color
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Old Jan 02, 2005, 07:44 PM
Clueless, but trying
United States, CA, Walnut Creek
Joined Nov 2001
753 Posts
Why?

My opinion only; but I wouldn't glass either of these planes. They are both meant to fly low and slow, and really would not benefit from adding wieght. If anything, I'd just add some clear packing tape to the leading edge of the wings, and maybe some on the nose and call it good.

Greg
Orcoz is offline Find More Posts by Orcoz
Old Jan 02, 2005, 08:03 PM
Littleton, Colorado
Joined Apr 2004
554 Posts
well my last plane.....um...... the E-starter was a mess... i got it up and flying ONCE !!!!!!!!!!! and the plane was down...and that's after about 10 millions tries!!!!! so for these planes i want to keep the parts together...like the wings as long as i can... and by adding weight the plane might go fasster.

have any one tried this method on one of these two planes? Elmer's glue? how did it go?... thanks for your time
Old Jan 02, 2005, 09:04 PM
RC Outlaw
New Mexico
Joined Mar 2002
370 Posts
Any weight added to these planes will hurt the performance with the stock motors. Best bet is packing tape on all leading edges. Glassing is out of the question unless you're going brushless or at least using a stronger motor.
NitroWatt is offline Find More Posts by NitroWatt
Old Jan 02, 2005, 09:29 PM
Registered boozer
davis, ca.
Joined Sep 2002
493 Posts
do not glass these planes if you plan on keeping the stock powerplants. i had an old pico stick F and it eventually wouldnt fly anymore with an ips because i had epoxied it a few too many times. i know, your thinking, i wouldnt need any epoxy if i just glassed it...wrong. if you feel like you need to glass your pico or cub to prevent damage, then your probably gonna be doing lots of repairs no matter what you do. but you would be lucky to get in one repair on your glassed planes before it were too heavy to fly. you could also just put in a geared 300 and glass away. but do not do it if you want to continue with the ips. remember...a stupid man doesnt learn from his mistakes, a smart man does, but a wise man learns from other peoples mistakes. good luck m8, and post some pics either way.
corndog is offline Find More Posts by corndog
Old Jan 02, 2005, 09:35 PM
Clueless, but trying
Joined Nov 2001
753 Posts
I understand completely, and am sorry about your e-starter. The Pico Stick and J3 are very different in that they run on the IPS motor and really are meant to be light 'floaters'.

Try them stock and then glass later if you think you need to. Any repair needed on these little guys would only involve some 5 minute epoxy and/or packing tape anyway, so if (and I kindof doubt you'd get to this point) you really bust it up and decide to go to glassing you could certainly do it after a repair or two.

One other consideration - if you've got a 2s lipo pack, that would help a lot.

Good Luck!
Old Jan 02, 2005, 09:37 PM
Clueless, but trying
Joined Nov 2001
753 Posts
corndog kindof beat me to the punch - I'm not that fast of a typist when my 4 year old is on my lap
Old Jan 02, 2005, 09:42 PM
My Bulldog is my copilot ..
Joined Feb 2004
2,264 Posts
I would suggest returning both planes and get a SlowStick.

Glassing either plane will add to much weight. If you had problems with the E-Starter then you will have a real hard time flying your new 'bricks'.

The SlowStick is easy to fly.. easy to modify.. and will teach you to fly.

"Build to Fly, Not to crash" (I stole that from Mike Molt).
TheLost is offline Find More Posts by TheLost
Old Jan 02, 2005, 09:48 PM
Registered boozer
davis, ca.
Joined Sep 2002
493 Posts
sorry orcoz, i had to kick my 3 yo off mine to beat ya : ) hey...your just down the road from here!

thats some good advice lost, you can always justify having a slow stick in your fleet, no matter how good you are at flying.
corndog is offline Find More Posts by corndog
Old Jan 02, 2005, 10:22 PM
Littleton, Colorado
Joined Apr 2004
554 Posts
what is the difference between the slow stick and pico stick?

and the one that i brought were slope gliders.. so no motor.. so i'm planning to put the 350c motoro on both of them... is it good?... thanks for your time
Old Jan 02, 2005, 10:36 PM
Joined Apr 2004
776 Posts
The 350 is too much motor for those planes.

Those are both slow flyers that fly well with the stock motors. They will flly better if you use lipo batteries as long as you are aware of the safety precautions needed.

If you put a 350 on them you will make them harder for a beginner to fly for several reasons - 2 of the reasons being that the planes will be too fast and you will create CG (center of gravity) issues.

At most, I would put an IPSD A or B drive on them

It will be easier for a beginner to learn to fly on a slow flying light weight airplane.

Definitely do NOT glass those planes.
WolfeWind is offline Find More Posts by WolfeWind
Old Jan 02, 2005, 10:41 PM
Littleton, Colorado
Joined Apr 2004
554 Posts
well i'm not exactly a beginner...um... i flew the DURAPLANE AEROBATIC 40 and it was kinda easy.. so flying fasst shouldn't be a problem for me..but what about the CG?

HOW WILL I HAVE CG ISSUES? how can i fix it?