|Jan 01, 2005, 02:45 PM|
Isthmus Models Zephyr II build thread
Despite the popularity of DLGs, I enjoy flying built-up javelin-style HLGs. A simple hi-start made from a $2 pack of #84 rubber bands, monofilament line and red streamer can take these planes up to 100-150 ft without too much setup time. Because of the lower structural requirement, these balsa gliders can be built relatively light, which in turn allows tighter circling in small, low bubbles.
Mark Miller of Isthmus Models was kind enough to send me a beta kit for this model:
I totally dropped the ball and proceeded to build at a snail's pace. No longer!
I'm now waiting for some the wing sheeting glue to dry, so here's a build thread for everyone's viewing pleasure. Your comments and advice are welcome.
Also see this page for the Liftzone review by Paul Johnson:
I'll see if I can get anywhere close to his 7.5 oz.
Here's the kit:
|Jan 01, 2005, 03:16 PM|
Wing area: 358 sq.in.
Aspect ratio: 10
Airfoil thickness: 9.4% (modified S3014)
Equivalent dihedral angle: 12.5 degrees
Vertical tail volume: 0.017
Horizontal tail volume: 0.49
The fuselage builds in about three hours (less if you use CA throughout; I used aliphatic resin on many parts).
The fit of the lasercut parts is similar to most other lasercut kits.
When I put the fuselage sub-assemblies together, the nose block protruded slightly past the fuse sides (see below). This is of little consequence, because the nose is shaped and sanded anyway.
|Jan 03, 2005, 11:13 PM|
Joined Mar 2001
|Jan 06, 2005, 04:45 PM|
Shaping the canopy and nose was quite satisfying. Just remove anything that doesn't look like an airplane...
Tail feathers and wing build!
The tail parts aren't sanded yet in these pictures. Mark seems to have carefully selected some hard B and C-grain balsa sticks for the tail. I tried to make the parts lighter by building them out of contest-grade wood--and found that they were ridiculously flimsy. So I chucked them, used the supplied wood, sanded/tapered the tail feathers razor thin.
Since the stabilizers are built up from sticks, you can easily adjust the tail size to your own preference.
I personally like more yaw damping, so I've built the tail with a vertical tail volume of 0.025 rather than 0.017. Obviously, if I end up with poor lateral handling qualities, I've nobody to blame but myself. I've attached the vertical stab with just a few of drops of thick CA, so that I can pull it out easily and compare it with the stock stabilizer.
Flight pictures coming up, as soon as: 1) I locate a USB cable to upload more pictures, and 2) the blasted sleet/snow/hail in Boston lets up.
Can't wait to get this thing in the air!
|Jan 10, 2005, 06:22 PM|
The build is finished.
Wing and tail feathers covered with 1.5 mil Doculam, fuse painted with a single coat of Minwax Polycrylic and blotted, and a small patch of 0.75 oz glass applied to the 'chin' with Polycrylic for dent-resistance.
GWS R-6P II Rx, 110 mAh NiCd battery, and HES 5.4 g servos yields an AUW of 7.8 oz. However, I still haven't hollowed out the solid balsa canopy, and this should reduce weight.
Still waiting on weather for a test flight. Stay tuned...
|Jan 11, 2005, 04:10 PM|
Very nice looking! This one is on the list to build. thanks for the comments and pics--looking forward to hearing about your first flights. -Steve
|Jan 30, 2005, 07:48 PM|
Unfortunately, I've still not had a chance to fly it between work and a huge snowstorm. Will update soon, hopefully.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Schuebeler Vector II Build Thread||Gordon||Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk||198||Jun 02, 2012 09:18 AM|
|Bitstream-II build thread||bwanajim||Electric Sailplanes||2||Dec 11, 2004 08:46 AM|
|Yippee! E*STAR Models 3D YAK54 build thread||Happy|Harry||3D Flying||122||Sep 20, 2004 10:43 PM|
|FoamyFactory Pitts Challenger II Build Thread.||Boss248||3D Flying||44||Aug 29, 2004 06:59 PM|
|Mountain Models Tantrum Partial Build Thread..||Tram||Parkflyers||142||Apr 03, 2004 11:41 PM|