HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2001, 05:19 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Mark EXELLENT!!!!!!!!! I'm giving you a double thumbs up!!!!! Sounds like a real sweet plane.many more happy landings..... stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2001, 05:28 PM
Make Haste Slowly
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Nov 1999
966 Posts
Great looking plane! It's nice to see some larger airplanes being done with e-power. You should visit some electric fly-ins with that for sure. We are having one in Lexington, KY on July 21. Here's a link to our flyer if you're interested.
http://www.geocities.com/~lmac_ky/event/ELECFLY.html

realdeal is offline Find More Posts by realdeal
Old Jun 25, 2001, 07:54 PM
Coldwater, Mi. USA
Joined Jul 2000
830 Posts
Fantastic Mark, your post answered most of my questions that I emailed to you. What is deal with all of the trees in your pictures???
Do you fly in the forest???
Dave Grife is offline Find More Posts by Dave Grife
Old Jun 25, 2001, 09:20 PM
Joined May 2000
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Wolf:
After months of waiting for a location and good weather, I finally flew my Great Planes Ryan STA this morning.

The specs on the Ryan are:

Great Planes Ryan STA ARF
82" span, 1062 Sq.in.
Astroflight cobalt 60 (11t)
Modelair-tech 2:1 belt drive
32 Sanyo RC-2400's
APC 17x13 prop, static draw 31 amps.
RTF weight: 15.25 pounds.

close enough to hear it.

I didn't attempt anything wild on the first flight. I climbed up to a safe altitude and tried a stall. After pulling the power off, I slowly fed in full up elevator. The STA just kept slowing down. There really wasn't a "stall" to speak of at all. It just sat slightly nose high and mushed forward.

[This message has been edited by Mark Wolf (edited 06-25-2001).]

Mark,

that's serious wingloading--but
great news that it won't mind...maybe @31 amps 32x2000nimh should do the trick also...

Congrats, looks great and a cool conversion!

Andre

Andreas is offline Find More Posts by Andreas
Old Jun 25, 2001, 11:01 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,312 Posts
Great job Mark! I've always liked the looks of the STA and you did it quite well. I know I'm one to ask this but what makes you want to add more cells? Did it not have enough umph for you as it was? It sure looks good anyway!
GregG is online now Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jun 26, 2001, 12:23 AM
Flying electric since 1986
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
Great Planes Ryan STA first flight!

After months of waiting for a location and good weather, I finally flew my Great Planes Ryan STA this morning.

The specs on the Ryan are:

Great Planes Ryan STA ARF
82" span, 1062 Sq.in.
Astroflight cobalt 60 (11t)
Modelair-tech 2:1 belt drive
32 Sanyo RC-2400's
APC 17x13 prop, static draw 31 amps.
RTF weight: 15.25 pounds.

With shaking knees, I held a bit of up elevator and right rudder then eased the throttle forward. Once she started rolling I relaxed the elevator and the tail lifted. After about 100ft. of roll, I gently pulled back on the stick and up it went!

The first thing that struck me was how quiet this plane is. Aside from a tiny bit of prop noise, there is no sound at all. That big prop sounds really good when you come in close enough to hear it.

I didn't attempt anything wild on the first flight. I climbed up to a safe altitude and tried a stall. After pulling the power off, I slowly fed in full up elevator. The STA just kept slowing down. There really wasn't a "stall" to speak of at all. It just sat slightly nose high and mushed forward.

I didn't try a loop this flight, but I did roll it. Level cruise takes about half throttle and looks great with my little pilot figure's silk scarf flapping in the breeze.

After about 3 minutes of cruising around I set up to make a few practice approaches. Each one I made, I overshot. The plane just didn't want to come down. Each approach was made with less and less power until finally I was gliding it in.

I finally decided to bring it in. Once I had completed my turn on final approch I pulled the power all the way off and brought her in like a glider. Once I got a few feet off the ground I slowly fed in up elevator at the STA touched down with a gentle bounce. Roll out was smooth and I taxied back to the pits. At touchdown, the stopwatch read a bit over 6 minutes.

I want to experiment with props and gear ratios a bit and I may go up to 36 cells, but overall I was very pleased with the flight. Honestly, anyone who can land a Twinstar could land the Ryan.

Sorry this post turned out so long, I'm a bit excited.

Here are some pics, the flight shots are not the best but they are proof that the model flies!

Here's a shot on the ground:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...ce=0&res=high]

Here's a flyby: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...ce=0&res=high]

And finally, here it is just before touchdown: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...ce=0&res=high]

[This message has been edited by Mark Wolf (edited 06-25-2001).]
Mark Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aeromodel Skybuggy 100
Old Jun 26, 2001, 12:27 AM
Flying electric since 1986
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
Quote:
that's serious wingloading--but
great news that it won't mind...
The wing loading isn't that high for a model this size. In some ways, bigger is better.

Quote:
I've always liked the looks of the STA and you did it quite well. I know I'm one to ask this but what makes you want to add more cells? Did it not have enough umph for you as it was? It sure looks good anyway!
I'd just like to have a bit more "pep" for aerobatics. I really need to fly it again before I change anything. I think my perception of speed and performance was somewhat altered at the time. I actually test flew 2 new models in a row. Before the Ryan I test flew my new F5D pylon racer with an Astro brushless 05 and 8 cells. After flying a 40" span model at 100+ mph, the big Ryan seemed so slow.

Mark Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aeromodel Skybuggy 100
Old Jun 26, 2001, 12:42 AM
ohio
Joined Aug 1999
3,635 Posts
congrats mark. sounds like an excellent flyer. i hope to see you and the sta in columbus on august 18th! (e fly-in)

i know about the knocking knees. i flew my something extra this weekend. f-27 on 20 cells. 14x7 apc e prop. the e prop made a big difference , much better verticals.
anyway, congrats again!
kevin is offline Find More Posts by kevin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Video of my HK Cobra
Old Jun 26, 2001, 07:30 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,138 Posts
Mark:

What a great looking plane! I love flight reports with such a happy ending (don't we all). Some day I'll get the nerve to fly something so big. Your comment that "anyone who can land a Twinstar could land the Ryan" is very encouraging.

Neil
Neil Morse is online now Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Jun 26, 2001, 09:00 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,429 Posts
Mark-

VERY inspiring!!!! Great job.

Ed
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2001, 11:19 AM
Over-engineered
Ridgecrest, CA
Joined Nov 1998
1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Wolf:
The wing loading isn't that high for a model this size.
Exactly, the wing loading is right in the sweet spot for a model this size!

Bf109G is offline Find More Posts by Bf109G