Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 31, 2004, 07:50 AM
Whatever happens..Happens
Sanford, Maine, United States
Joined Aug 2004
628 Posts
twin motor ap slow stick... a brushed plane with 35.5oz of thrust. building soon

well i need a lot of power for ap but i dont have the money for brushless yet. so i am doing a twin brushed slow stick.

ive already ordered:

cf rods(2.5, 3 and 4 mm)
2 slow sticks
dubro skis
foam wheels
8cell cbp2500 battery 2x2 config
35amp castle creations esc
2 gws 400c-g
4 1365 props
music wire(1/16 and 1/8)
2 plastic parts frames
3/8x3/8 spruce sticks
and some other stuff

now from what ive seen the 400c-g w/1365 prop at 9.6v will give 17.8oz of thrust at under 9 amps each. was this the best choice?

i was going to do a twin 350c-c w/1047 at 8.4 so 15.5oz of thrust each at under 11 amps, but the 400 set up has about the same thrust to weight but uses less amps and the motors will last a lot longer. the 400 set up will be about 4 oz more but im geting 3 more oz of thrust

im attaching the motors to the wing using the plastic wing mounts and a 3/8"x3/8" spruce stick. i got two extra sticks(36"), should i use one as the fuse or stick with the stock?

to reinforce the wing i am first epoxing flat cf strips to the center of the wing. im doing this because this is where my last slow stick failed first. then im epoxing the fiber glass rods first to the dihedral then the wing, and tapeing it. im also going to do a carbon fiber rod across the wing, im not %100 shure on how im attaching it yet. should i use the 3mm or the 4mm for that?

the 2.5mm rod is for the le of the tail.

im doing two sets of landing gear, one for skis the other for the wheels i got. i think i am going to build of the stock gear but i might end up bending new ones. i am going to bend a new tail gear to, my old ones snaped at only 20oz.

wiring:
battery>deans>esc>deans>x2 deans>x2 motors
this will make it so i can unplug both motors with one plug to take the wing off, or one motor at a time so that i can replace motors. i will be using deans ultra plugs, not the small ones. the wire will be 16 guage.

im hoping that it will be under 40oz with camera(7oz camera w/batteries)

the parts should be here between 1/6/05 and 1/15/05

Is there any other mods i should think of doing?

please tell me if any thing is wrong with my idea
jswjimmy is offline Find More Posts by jswjimmy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2004, 08:15 AM
All posts Copyright '07
Joined Sep 2004
1,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswjimmy
well i need a lot of power for ap but i dont have the money for brushless yet. so i am doing a twin brushed slow stick.

ive already ordered:

cf rods(2.5, 3 and 4 mm)
2 slow sticks
dubro skis
foam wheels
8cell cbp2500 battery 2x2 config
35amp castle creations esc
2 gws 400c-g
4 1365 props
music wire(1/16 and 1/8)
2 plastic parts frames
3/8x3/8 spruce sticks
and some other stuff

now from what ive seen the 400c-g w/1365 prop at 9.6v will give 17.8oz of thrust at under 9 amps each. was this the best choice?

i was going to do a twin 350c-c w/1047 at 8.4 so 15.5oz of thrust each at under 11 amps, but the 400 set up has about the same thrust to weight but uses less amps and the motors will last a lot longer. the 400 set up will be about 4 oz more but im geting 3 more oz of thrust

im attaching the motors to the wing using the plastic wing mounts and a 3/8"x3/8" spruce stick. i got two extra sticks(36"), should i use one as the fuse or stick with the stock?

to reinforce the wing i am first epoxing flat cf strips to the center of the wing. im doing this because this is where my last slow stick failed first. then im epoxing the fiber glass rods first to the dihedral then the wing, and tapeing it. im also going to do a carbon fiber rod across the wing, im not %100 shure on how im attaching it yet. should i use the 3mm or the 4mm for that?

the 2.5mm rod is for the le of the tail.

im doing two sets of landing gear, one for skis the other for the wheels i got. i think i am going to build of the stock gear but i might end up bending new ones. i am going to bend a new tail gear to, my old ones snaped at only 20oz.

wiring:
battery>deans>esc>deans>x2 deans>x2 motors
this will make it so i can unplug both motors with one plug to take the wing off, or one motor at a time so that i can replace motors. i will be using deans ultra plugs, not the small ones. the wire will be 16 guage.

im hoping that it will be under 40oz with camera(7oz camera w/batteries)

the parts should be here between 1/6/05 and 1/15/05

Is there any other mods i should think of doing?

please tell me if any thing is wrong with my idea
If you are only lifting a seven oz. camera, I think you could have bought a ~$60 Himax 2812-850 outrunner for the same money and hauled it just fine without the hassle. I ran a stock SS (carbon in the wings only mod) with a camera and mount in the 7oz range on this setup. Just need a little more runway. Of course the PJS800 works a little better.

Also, isn't the CC ESC a brushless controller?

Regards,
TrappedinNM is offline Find More Posts by TrappedinNM
Old Dec 31, 2004, 09:15 AM
Joined Aug 2004
628 Posts
castle creations also makes brushed esc, the brushless ones are phoenix. the castle creations griffin, pixie, sprite, and pegasus are for brushed motors. im getting the pegasus.

i could have gone brushless but i ordered parts to soon. originally i was going to buy all of the parts myself, so i only had enough for the brushed motors. but one of the guys from my flying feild got me the battery, motors, and some other stuff, so i had enough money to get a pjs800, mount, and esc but my uncle rushed me on ordering parts so i forgot how much money i had. so im staying with brushed until summer.
still its a twin... it looks cool.

i also might try to fly with both of my cameras(the other one is only 3oz) so i can take pictures and video at the same time.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 09:41 AM
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Nov 2003
487 Posts
My twin

I made a twin SS that was inspired by Barstool. Front camera mount and twin 350's. I will be moving up to brushless also when the funds come in but it flies well with the stock motors. Just be sure that you have a battery that can handle the amps it takes to run both motors. I have parralled two batteries together to get the amps. The only reinforcing that I did was a CF rod across the front. This really makes a difference with the wing. I also used CF tape for the tail feathers. Here are the pics.

Rick
azfrench is offline Find More Posts by azfrench
Last edited by azfrench; Dec 31, 2004 at 09:51 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 03:27 PM
Joined Aug 2004
628 Posts
so you cut a hole in the wing then put a stick that was wedged on one side in the hole then glued it to the back of the wing, then epoxied a cf rod to each side. is there any thing other than that you had to do?

it looks good but i dont think i want to put a hole in my wing with out it involving a crash.

the batery im using is good
cbp2500, 8cell, 2200mah, 30+amps, about 11oz
that was the best A cell battery i could find.

good job with your twin. i am also going to do a nose mounted camera, and i also got the idea from bar-stool.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 03:55 PM
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Nov 2003
487 Posts
The hole in the wing is not that big a deal. I just had to make sure that the thrust line of the motors was good. I think that I have 2 degrees of down thrust. I also used cf thread to wrap around the motor mounts. After wrapping the thread I put CA on the thread to harden it. Makes a very strong bond. On the tail section you can see the CF tape and the CF rod on the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizor. With all of this added weight you need stronger landing gear. I have a rear wheel that im in the process of evaluating that is very good but the front needs attention. I just placed wire across the landing gear and soldered it. Works well. There are many other mods that are better for landing gear that I have not done yet. Have fun.

Rick
azfrench is offline Find More Posts by azfrench
Old Dec 31, 2004, 07:31 PM
Tenino WA.
Joined May 2004
1,195 Posts
jswjimmy +++ what do you think about using a reversed prop on the right motor..

I'm working on a dual motor SS too, and just thought about the revesed prop to night.. Gonna start looking for one.

Jack
CRASHED AGAIN is offline Find More Posts by CRASHED AGAIN
Old Dec 31, 2004, 07:41 PM
Joined Aug 2004
628 Posts
the only reversed prop i can find is a 1045, this will work good for a 300 or 350 but i need a 1365. if you find some 1365 reversed props let me know i would like to try it.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 09:02 PM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,105 Posts
go with smaller/lighter camera and stock ss check at www.aiptek.com for small digital cams....
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Old Dec 31, 2004, 09:06 PM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,105 Posts
or if interseted in live video check out the wireless transmitter/cams at black widow; I have a similiar setup on my(mostly)stock SS
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Old Dec 31, 2004, 09:16 PM
Joined Aug 2004
628 Posts
ive already done the stock slow stick and small camera, i want to do video now. the live video stuff is to much money, plus i dont drive yet.