HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2004, 07:27 AM
Joined Dec 2004
13 Posts
Question
New RC'er - engine question

I was given RC kit for Xmas. Engine is NOS, Fox 45 BB RC that is 20+ years old. Throttle won't move and I suspect original factory lube has hardened. What is the best way to prepare this engine for operation?
mhgoldwing is offline Find More Posts by mhgoldwing
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2004, 08:45 AM
BAKO
Tbilisi, Georgia
Joined Jul 2004
772 Posts
just remove any rubbers, remove glow plug and drop in antifreeze. let it cook there about 4 hours. or take it apart and wash everything with kerosine, using tooth brush. but i think cooking is better. it will look like new.
Bako is offline Find More Posts by Bako
Old Dec 31, 2004, 09:31 AM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,863 Posts
I would use glow fuel rather than antifreeze and let it soak for 24 hours. You can then leave the rubber bits on. If you decide to use anti-freeze, there is usually a rubber gasket between the backplate and the crankcase, on the carb to crankcase mount and maybe one inside the needle housing in the carburettor.

You will probably have to take the carburettor apart to clean out all the small holes but this is easy to do as long as you remember where all the small bits go.
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old Dec 31, 2004, 10:32 AM
Joined Dec 2004
13 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the help.
mhgoldwing is offline Find More Posts by mhgoldwing
Old Dec 31, 2004, 09:00 PM
Brockton, MA
Joined Nov 2003
344 Posts
Some folks have suggested that there's another technique. Warm the engine in an oven (not too hot, say 225F max) to see if the engine will move. Sometimes, all that is holding it is hardened caster oil that needs to be softened.

If that works, then flush the engine (or better yet, disassemble and clean it) and fire it up. If you disassemble it, be careful of the backplate. Most likely, it will have a paper gasket that will rip. See if you can get spare gasket kits on line.

Just giving another option.

Bob
N1EDM is offline Find More Posts by N1EDM
Old Jan 01, 2005, 10:46 PM
USA, NJ, Somerville
Joined Nov 2004
24 Posts
I just freed up a 30 year old engine this week by cooking in antifreeze for about 4 hrs and it seems the most efficient method. I originally tried putting the engine in alchohol overnight but it didnt do anything.

Dave
dszabo2 is offline Find More Posts by dszabo2