SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 06, 2002, 06:19 PM
Manchester, TN USA
Joined Nov 2001
217 Posts
Your Thoughts on My Wild Idea

I've been flying some of my e-planes on cordless drill packs, most of which have been Sanyo 1250 SCRs, and they've held up well for me (I got a great deal on them). While scanning one of my recent Harbor Freight catalogs I saw a 14.4V variable speed cordless drill, battery, and charger for $16.

Hmmmm, me thinks... for $16 bucks you get a speed-600ish motor (probably a Mabuchi, Johnson, or Sagamo), TWELVE 4/5 Sub-C cells, an AC charger, AND a speed control that works off of a motion input (the trigger). So, I reason, why not rig up a servo to actuate the speed control and go fly.

I'm gonna order a drill to try it out -- I'll report on the results as soon as I bench test it. Has anyone done this before or have a good reason I shouldn't waste $16? At worst, I'll have a spare drill.
Craig Logan is offline Find More Posts by Craig Logan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2002, 08:35 PM
Kings Park, New York, USA
Joined Sep 2001
813 Posts
Hey Craig

Hey Craig

Get real, if the drill mfgs meant thier product to fly they would lower the price so you could afford 2!!!!

And of course give you a reverse at the same time.

So my point is, consider a twin, with counter rotating props, with inflight reversing for that steep descent.

Just think the kool spins you could do with 1 full foward and 1 full reverse.

While you are at it order a third, so you can make 2 14 cell packs instaed of the power deficient 12 cell pack. You have 1 motor to burn up to see how far you can push it.

Ron Parigoris

BTW I think I saw a below 10$ drill from them, with a lesser cell count.
rparigoris is offline Find More Posts by rparigoris