HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2002, 05:14 PM
Buffalo Intl, New York, United States
Joined Feb 2002
1,062 Posts
Building Mark Rittinger Python -- Washout Question

I am begginning to build the Python and I was going over the plans and questioned "washout". I know that it is a twist in the wing, but what I am really after is how to use the washout guides in the plan. Do I just cut them out and lay them under the solid bottom wing then build on top?

Thanks
jet_jer is offline Find More Posts by jet_jer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2002, 09:27 AM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,151 Posts
They taper form 1/8" tall at the tip to zero at the wing root.Same with the one that goes from the trailing edge to the leading edge a the tip.Glue them together in the corner.Make only one guide, you can flip it over to the other side when you get done...place under the wing when glueing the top sheet on, remove from under wing when sheeted.They do not stay on the wing.You'll see how putting the top sheet on really makes the wing stiff, and locks in the washout.

Mark
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Mar 07, 2002, 09:30 AM
Joined Feb 2002
1,062 Posts
Thanks
Old Mar 07, 2002, 09:52 AM
I fly, therefore I crash
NY
Joined Mar 2002
282 Posts
I'm just waiting on the receiver so I can go and fly my Python. I did a few things differently when building mine. The washout guide -which, I believe, decreases the angle of attack at the tips making the plane less susceptible to stall, though I may be corrected on this- I made from 1/8th scrap cut in the triangular shape found on the plan where the two guides meet. I placed this under the rear of each wing when I glued the skins on. Again, there are no test flights yet, but the washout is visible.
Also, for the top hatch, instead of using a bolt to hold it down, I used a rare earth magnet which attaches to a small piece of metal, and at the rear, a carbon fiber rod sits through a hole in F3. This makes getting to the battery easy. The rear, bottom hatch has a hole in it where the receiver antenna will slide through, and the hatch is simply taped on.
For the canopy, I cut out a piece of a soda bottle and hit it with a hairdryer until it formed the shape I wanted.
I don't have any pics to post yet and after the first flight, if there are any problems with these modifications, I'll be sure to let you know.
BTW, thanks Mark for your help in this building process!
van-S is offline Find More Posts by van-S
Old Mar 07, 2002, 12:06 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
9,151 Posts
Not a problem guys, I like to see them work and fly well....

Keep me posted as to how it goes!

MArk
Old Mar 07, 2002, 12:22 PM
Joined Feb 2002
1,062 Posts
aileron connection

Mark,
I emailed you earlier today about how the aileron connections work, I think I understand but I was wondering if anybody else out there has a better picture of the setup. Seeing as how this is an important step I don't want to get it wrong.

My understanding: bend a piece of 1/16th wire 90 degrees at one end, place through aluminum tube, glue tube(which goes from ~R2 to ~R3, no bend in tube) onto the bottom sheet. Bend wire at 90 degree again to conform with the bottom wing leaving the other end vertical to the bottom wing. Glue wire at aileron end onto the aileron. Make hinge out of monokote for aileron? Do I glue the wire into the tube?

Sorry for all the questions on this one little part!
Old Mar 07, 2002, 10:29 PM
I fly, therefore I crash
NY
Joined Mar 2002
282 Posts
It sounds like you've got it. Do NOT glue the wire into the tube. The tube acts as a guide for the wire to move. I used Dubro EZ aileron linkages, and they were E -Z.
I did a search for the over and under monocote hinge technique but couldn't find it. I made my hinges by cutting rectangular pieces of my covering, about 1" x 1.5" or so and made sure to flex the aileron and ironed on the hinges alternating top and bottom. Pictures do this greater justice. The alternative is to simply use sig easy hinges and glue them in.
Old Mar 08, 2002, 06:34 AM
Joined Feb 2002
1,062 Posts
Thanks for the info, as of right now I am not that far yet but wanted to get a heads up. Right now I am trying to get the motor mounted at 3 deg. down and 2 degree right. I assume you use triangle stock and cut the angles into it then glue it on the mount, sanding away whats needed to get the best motor fit.

Thanks for all he help.
Old Mar 08, 2002, 07:17 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,233 Posts
I have one standard nylon hinge at about 75% of aileron span, and use the torque tube as the other hinge point. The ailerons were sheeted first (before hinge was installed), then the wing itself.

As part of the finish I make some pieces which only cover part of the hinge line gap. It doesn't seem to affect operation at all.

You can see some photos at www.andykunz.us then click on "Model Airplanes"

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Last edited by AndyKunz; Sep 08, 2014 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Correct link
Old Mar 08, 2002, 08:15 AM
I fly, therefore I crash
NY
Joined Mar 2002
282 Posts
For the motor mount, I fitted my s400 into the mount, then positioned the mount so the motor had the appropriate angle and held it there while I glued. Then, I put the triangle stock up against the motor and glued the wood to the motor mount and to the fuse sides, sanding all around it as best I could afterwards. Sanding really can add some nice curves to the plane.
When I glue moving parts that will have high torque or pull, such as the aileron linkages or the control horns, I make sure there is lots to glue -the control horns always fit into slots I've cut, and I use epoxy instead of CA or Aliphatic resin. After my first control horn got ripped out of my Tiny, I made sure to use only epoxy.
Old Mar 08, 2002, 11:37 AM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
9,151 Posts
Whatever works!
DO NOT glue the wire into the aileron when you build the wing.You need to be able to cut the aileron off the wing,cover it, hinge it, then install it.Glue it on when you install the aileron.

Ask aroundm theres plenty of guys that have built it that will help.

The Down/right isn't hyper critical.It helps to keep it from climbing when the power is on.

Good Luck!

See you all in Toledo!

MArk
Old Mar 10, 2002, 03:01 PM
Happy happy, joy joy!
Portland, Oregon, USA
Joined Jun 2001
623 Posts
Mark-
I was going to give one of these a shot too, however- I can't seem to find what the fuse thickness is. Looks like the doublers are 1/16th, but the actual fuse thickness is escaping me. I must have passed it over on the plan or something. Help?
-Goge
Goge is offline Find More Posts by Goge