HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2005, 07:18 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2005
869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert4u
Hi Chris,

I'm glad your first flight went ok. It really is a pleasure to fly this little plane.
It goes really fast. But as always you get used to the speed very soon It want to go faster, faster ......

You are right about the loud whistle. It really makes a hell of a noise, but hey I like it. It will make people think twice to fly there planes low when the VooDoo is making a fly-by

What kind of spinner are you using (picture?) that the air can enter from the front???
I have been thinking the same about drilling holes through the spinner and motor mount, but didn't really know how much air would go through at 22000rpm

I haven't testflown my mods, maybe tommorow

Robert
Hi Robert,

Yes love it! Will duck out again today for 3rd fly. Love the noise also. Spinner from aircraft world. Great aluminium and perfectly machined see below;

http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopdi...%2D+FIXED+PROP

Any idea how fast your set up goes ?? I will get to prop test shortly have not forgot.

Chris
Mavrik is offline Find More Posts by Mavrik
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2005, 05:22 PM
Netherlands
Joined Aug 2004
25 Posts
Hi Chris,

thanks for the link , but what I can't see is if the front of the spinner is open to let the air through??

I have flown my VooDoo today again, and am glad to say that my airscoops seem to be working. After a 6 min flight with almost full throttle my controller is only warm, so no I finally can enjoy my flights without having to worry about the controller switching the motor off.

I really don't know how fast it is going, just that it is going really fast
I like going up until I only see a small dot, roll 180 degrees, and then come down again full throttle to level of at about 1 meter and fly by.

If I can get a camara I will try to calculate the speed using doppler. Never done this before so don't know if I will succeed.

Really looking forward to the RPM's, because this will tell me if I can get more speed out of the VooDoo.
I might have overread it but whats your all-up weight??

I have done now about 9 flights and this is for me definitly the best pylonracer

Robert
robert4u is offline Find More Posts by robert4u
Old Jul 14, 2005, 12:57 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2005
869 Posts
Quote:
Hi Chris,

thanks for the link , but what I can't see is if the front of the spinner is open to let the air through??

I have flown my VooDoo today again, and am glad to say that my airscoops seem to be working. After a 6 min flight with almost full throttle my controller is only warm, so no I finally can enjoy my flights without having to worry about the controller switching the motor off.

I really don't know how fast it is going, just that it is going really fast
I like going up until I only see a small dot, roll 180 degrees, and then come down again full throttle to level of at about 1 meter and fly by.

If I can get a camara I will try to calculate the speed using doppler. Never done this before so don't know if I will succeed.

Really looking forward to the RPM's, because this will tell me if I can get more speed out of the VooDoo.
I might have overread it but whats your all-up weight??

I have done now about 9 flights and this is for me definitly the best pylonracer

Robert
Hi Robert,

I had my 3rd flight yesterday. I am now getting more comfortable with it. Bit scary for maiden I must say. I have had to trim about 1 mil of up in elevator. This must be COG so I will try moving it back. Did you have this problem ??

Spinner are quite open where prop extends so some air will get in there. I have not had cooling issues at all, but winter in Oz with 16 degree air temps !!

I should get to prop test over weekend when I can get another flight in. Can't wait. AUW 418 grams on digital scales !!

love to know how fast this thing goes. How do you measure doppler on camera ??

Chris
Old Jul 14, 2005, 04:32 PM
Netherlands
Joined Aug 2004
25 Posts
Hi Chris,

I didn't need to trim my elevator so it is most likely your CG. Just move it back 1 mm and try again.

Thanks for the info about the spinner. I have been flying my VooDoo with 29 degrees air temps, and after my mod no more heating problems, so for now I'll stick with my current spinner.

I'm interested in the speed as well. Not sure about how to measure the speed with doppler , but will give it a try time permitting offcourse.
I looked at this site for some info
http://www.sprut.de/electronic/soft/scope.htm

Tomorrow I will take my nice little plane out to the field again

Robert
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:48 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2005
869 Posts
Quote:
Hi Chris,

I didn't need to trim my elevator so it is most likely your CG. Just move it back 1 mm and try again.

Thanks for the info about the spinner. I have been flying my VooDoo with 29 degrees air temps, and after my mod no more heating problems, so for now I'll stick with my current spinner.

I'm interested in the speed as well. Not sure about how to measure the speed with doppler , but will give it a try time permitting offcourse.
I looked at this site for some info
http://www.sprut.de/electronic/soft/scope.htm

Tomorrow I will take my nice little plane out to the field again

Robert
4th flight today I agree aileron settings a bit mild. I have almost doubled recommended throws. COG moved back 1.5 mil and now less up elevator trim. About half mil left of up in normal flight. Might try another mil rear of COG !

How are flights going. Landings are not too bad with 2 mill down flap !! All in all super impressed

Chris
Old Jul 15, 2005, 01:58 PM
Joined Jul 2005
37 Posts
Hello

Can voodoo fly slow with a speed400 and 7st GP1100?
Or will it fly like a stone?
Voodoo2 is offline Find More Posts by Voodoo2
Old Jul 15, 2005, 04:58 PM
Netherlands
Joined Aug 2004
25 Posts
Hi,

another good day at the field today.
I really like to take the VooDoo out for a spin
I'm getting more used to it every flight I make. Take it up higher every time so there is more altitude to build up the speed
Even inverted it flies like it's on rails.
I also managed to do some rolling circles
I'm amazed with it's slow speed handling. When it stalls it just drops the nose, no tendency to drop a wing whatsoever.
It's just hard work keeping the VooDoo in sight. After about 5min of full throttle flight I have to land just to relax again.( only used about 1100mAh)
Did my 13th-flight today and accept for the first flight didn't brake any props

Have a nice weekend (I have to work, so I will still be flying,but no modells)

Robert
Old Jul 15, 2005, 04:58 PM
Joined Dec 2004
352 Posts
Sorry.... but Speed400/6V + 7Gp1100 is the official setup for competition.......

did you all forget the real use for this by using all the BLs ?
f5b@wannabe is offline Find More Posts by f5b@wannabe
Old Jul 15, 2005, 05:24 PM
Joined Jul 2005
37 Posts
Okey ! Im a little bit Newbie

Wich plane can fly slowest and is the most easy to fly with speed400 and 7st GP1100? Excite400, VIP, VOODOO.

Thx
Last edited by Voodoo2; Jul 15, 2005 at 05:46 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 02:37 AM
Joined Dec 2004
352 Posts
sorry, i didnt see that.........

i personally would say the voodoo..... but there will be other suggestions.
f5b@wannabe is offline Find More Posts by f5b@wannabe
Old Jul 16, 2005, 05:36 AM
Joined Jul 2005
37 Posts
I think the vip has most ving area , 7,8dm2
Old Jul 16, 2005, 09:00 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,337 Posts
CS Twister
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jul 16, 2005, 05:11 PM
Joined Jul 2005
37 Posts
Ok, i can fly but i dont like if the plane stall to easy
Old Jul 18, 2005, 01:22 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2005
869 Posts
Dynamic with large wing area and tail area must fly slow (or harder to stall).

Not 100% sure as I only fly Voodoo, but judging from pictures and specs this would be the case.

Can any one else make a suggestion ?

Chris
Old Jul 18, 2005, 03:29 AM
Netherlands
Joined Aug 2004
25 Posts
Hi,

I have flown the dynamic 400 a couple of times as well (it's not mine), and topspeed is also really high (not as fast as the VooDoo offcourse), but it's also possible to fly it really slow and that helps when you want to land it. You only need a lot of space to bleed of the speed
It is also much easier to follow the modell because of the larger dimensions.
The one I have flown was equipped with mega 16/15/3 and 8xGP1100.

But then again, I think when you keep the VooDoo light it can be flown reasonably slow as well and it has no tendency to snap in slow turns whatsoever

Robert