HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2010, 01:16 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,537 Posts
The setup you have is pretty quiet, which can rob you of mph when using doppler with lower quality microphones (larger cosine error). On another note, taking an upwind and downwind pass allows you to cancel the effects of wind. That said, your second pass (167mph) was cleaner than the first (160mph). This assumes 70F temperature.

That's fast, but I'm sure you didn't need me or my doppler numbers to tell you that.

What setup are you running?

Cheers,
Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2010, 07:54 AM
smokin electrons...
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,265 Posts
thanks Kev, my setup is HET 2W (4750kV) on 3S and 4.5x4.1 prop.

Abdullah...
skyzking is offline Find More Posts by skyzking
Old Sep 23, 2010, 05:42 PM
Joined Mar 2008
15 Posts
Can anybody tell me the CG on the Voodoo? I changed battery in mine and lost the manual. Come on guys, I really want it in the air saturday.

Thanks, Yngve
sekkenes is offline Find More Posts by sekkenes
Old Sep 23, 2010, 07:49 PM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekkenes View Post
Can anybody tell me the CG on the Voodoo? I changed battery in mine and lost the manual. Come on guys, I really want it in the air saturday.

Thanks, Yngve
38-41mm

Here is the manual (sheet) that came with mine from SoaringUSA.
hybris is offline Find More Posts by hybris
Old Oct 02, 2010, 09:57 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
What about throttle to elevator mix?.. Im using it with great sucess.
Elevator mix adds drag as its forcing the AOA of the wing down, adding reflex changes the foil of the wing, making less lift (and less drag)

Full throttle to ~.5mm reflex works awesome, flies like an arrow at Mach 2+ now. If ya overpowered voodoo balloons mix some reflex in to full throttle

STOKED with this plane its Ridiculously fast.
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Oct 03, 2010, 02:29 AM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,537 Posts
Mixing is IMO always a last ditch effort. There's always that momentary "crap, pull up!" moment when you first drop the hammer... that's never a pleasant thing. If that didn't bother you and you survive to reach WOT steady state flight, there's the "shoot for the moon" the second you let off the throttle that will at least annoy you. Mixing is very flight speed dependent. So unless you're some how utilizing a pitot probe for input to your mix, a simple mix is never going to complete the ideal connection between man and machine. With any high performance aircraft, the devil is in the details... you will feel so much more in tune with the aircraft if you trim it out (aerodynamically) versus mixing it out (electronically).

Maybe I've had one too many strong margaritas at the party tonight... I'll find out tomorrow morning I guess.

Cheers,
Kev
Old Oct 03, 2010, 02:46 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,401 Posts
Yup, thats were the reflex thing comes in, there is no pitching when mixed in as its such a tiny amount. The wing is just making less lift at high speed. Elevator mixing causes the scary porpoising, and thats more to deal with thrust line issues. The mix is proportional too which helps, Top 10% of the throttle starts bringing it in.
Old Oct 03, 2010, 02:24 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,537 Posts
Thanks for the info Jacko, I'm going to give that a try on my Voodoo. I've never had great results using elevator mixing on my wings, but reflex mixing on a full house plane is a different thing.

Cheers,
Kev
Old Oct 03, 2010, 04:53 PM
Take off, eh
USA, CA, Long Beach
Joined Jan 2009
213 Posts
I have flown SRII with 3S NEU 1110 & fly Escape with 1112 1Y and Viper with 4S, 1115 1Y...
The voodoo on 3S mega 16/15/2 with 4.75 x 4.75 prop as advised previously is amazing fast.

in my view -no better speed for the money!

hallelujah!
plainguy is offline Find More Posts by plainguy
Old Oct 04, 2010, 12:16 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,401 Posts
Now i just need to find someone game enough to race.

Launch the voodoo and everyone else on the flight line calls "landing!" . Dunno what the problem is

plainguy - How hots that 16-15-2 getting with a 4.75x4.75?? Mines on a 4.1x4.1, and comes down averagely warm. 4.75x4.75 must draw some wicked current.
Old Oct 04, 2010, 11:55 AM
Take off, eh
USA, CA, Long Beach
Joined Jan 2009
213 Posts
Fairly warm. Battery comes in at about 130 Fahrenheit.
i don't have clear access to motor ESC to test temp but i reckon to be about 110F - 120F
System pulls a lick under 800 watts with a 1750 mAh, 3S, 45C, TPower batt.
Throws need to be decreased a tad and /or some expo added in the center otherwise she's all over the place.
Flight time: 2 minutes. unfortunately -either because of draw or because i ruined TP batt by overspending which i did twice accidentally.
-r
Old Oct 06, 2010, 01:48 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2009
26 Posts
ok set up for a Voodoo?

Hi friends!

I`m planning to buy a Voodoo from Hoellein. It seems that they are out of stock now,so Im just planning what to use.

So far I`ve come up with this:

Het 2W ( like the Mega 16-15-2 )
graupner speed cam 4,1 x 4,1 ( starting with that )
Castle Creations ICE60 ESC
2x Hitec HS55 ailerons
1x futaba S3154 elevator

Any suggestions to battery mah?

How many watt/amp should this be? Can I use a smaller Esc? Hmmm

Thanks.
Aleksander
aleksander is offline Find More Posts by aleksander
Old Oct 06, 2010, 10:41 PM
Take off, eh
USA, CA, Long Beach
Joined Jan 2009
213 Posts
if you install Servo's on the wings. Thunder power 3S 1750 mAh 45C -fits like a glove and really puts out.
i'm using a Thunderbird ESC 54 amp but i am pushing it.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 11:26 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,401 Posts
aleksander -

Id suggest S3154's on ailerons and elevator, far better servo than an HS55 and much smaller. Small components are the key to the voodoo, smaller aileron servos give you more ESC and wiring room.

Hyperion Vx 3S 1800's fit in the voodoo very well too, nearly like they are designed for it and they take a licking too.

That 2W will put you around the 60A/600+watt mark on a 4.1x4.1 , I wouldnt go for a smaller ESC as there is very little cooling room inside the fuse.

I didnt know graupner made a 4.1x4.1, thought I had every speed 400 prop in existence!
Got a link?

Good luck, for a molded ARF that is nearly built outta the box, it takes some building time, some thinking and multiple test fits to get all the gear too fit, but its worth it!

Its a seriously awesome little plane, Ive flown a bunch of speed400 pylons, none fly as well (or as fast) as a voodoo.
Old Oct 07, 2010, 12:19 AM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
aleksander -

Id suggest S3154's on ailerons and elevator, far better servo than an HS55 and much smaller. Small components are the key to the voodoo, smaller aileron servos give you more ESC and wiring room.

Hyperion Vx 3S 1800's fit in the voodoo very well too, nearly like they are designed for it and they take a licking too.

That 2W will put you around the 60A/600+watt mark on a 4.1x4.1 , I wouldnt go for a smaller ESC as there is very little cooling room inside the fuse.

I didnt know graupner made a 4.1x4.1, thought I had every speed 400 prop in existence!
Got a link?

Good luck, for a molded ARF that is nearly built outta the box, it takes some building time, some thinking and multiple test fits to get all the gear too fit, but its worth it!

Its a seriously awesome little plane, Ive flown a bunch of speed400 pylons, none fly as well (or as fast) as a voodoo.

How about this one

http://www.icare-rc.com/catalog/grau...rop-p-141.html
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418