HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2010, 09:52 AM
UN Earth peoples true enemy
Euroland
Joined Jan 2004
1,801 Posts
Darn Just heading off in a few hours on a small boat into the ocean for a few weeks with freind
The boat is too small to carry internet at sea
Have to pass on it this time bound to be sold by the time I get back

C U in a few weeks

Ralf
treehog is offline Find More Posts by treehog
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2010, 02:14 AM
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2007
53 Posts
What a great model

FAAAAaaaaaaassssssssstttttttt, Straight and true,

Any tips to slow down on landing as im running out of field

Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgooner99 View Post
Hi,

Not looking for anything too hot, just want to run for 2 minutes in a club pylon race.

Im running the mega motor 16/15/3 on a APC 4.1 x 4.1 and it pulls 17 amps on the bench so thats about 290 mamps/minute.

I have a small 1000 mah 3s 25c lipo that fits fine and balances the model

Is this all ok or am i a numpty

Cheers

Ray
madgooner99 is offline Find More Posts by madgooner99
Last edited by madgooner99; Sep 06, 2010 at 04:14 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 03:25 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,390 Posts
Are you using flaperons? The settings in the manual work shweet.

I have mine set on a switch, turning it on mixes the throttle to down ailerons below 50% throttle, couple of passes at 25% throttle is enough to slow it down enough land. Still takes its time to bleed speed but will slow down to a semi-sensible landing speed
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Sep 06, 2010, 04:19 AM
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2007
53 Posts
Thanks,

So you have 2 mm of down aileron below 50% throttle thats on a switch, and when you want to land you activate the switch.

Do you have full deflection below 50% or is it proportional ( 2mm at 0% throttle, 0.0001 at 49% throttle)

Thanks for your help

Ray
Old Sep 06, 2010, 05:08 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,390 Posts
Proportional to the throttle, full down is at about 10% throttle. Flicking the switch and reducing throttle to land. Makes it easier to do a go around as you can just bang the throttle and the flaps retract again, and you dont have think about anything else
Old Sep 06, 2010, 11:55 AM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Are you using flaperons? The settings in the manual work shweet.

I have mine set on a switch, turning it on mixes the throttle to down ailerons below 50% throttle, couple of passes at 25% throttle is enough to slow it down enough land. Still takes its time to bleed speed but will slow down to a semi-sensible landing speed
Have you tried spoilerons? Usually those are more effective on these models, and it helps to prevent tip stalling.

Kid
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Sep 06, 2010, 12:46 PM
$#|+
United States, CA, Orange
Joined May 2007
1,605 Posts
i land my voodoo with with spoilerons, with flaps it floats for ever
btw i had my voodoo since xmas of 2007 and still running strong with the same HET 3W motor with 4.75x4.75
mkmkmk13 is offline Find More Posts by mkmkmk13
Old Sep 06, 2010, 04:41 PM
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2007
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418 View Post
Have you tried spoilerons? Usually those are more effective on these models, and it helps to prevent tip stalling.

Kid
Whats spoilerons and how much?????????????

Ray
Old Sep 06, 2010, 08:27 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgooner99 View Post
Whats spoilerons and how much?????????????

Ray
Spoilerons deflect the ailerons up as opposed to down (flaps). It creates drag and allows you to approach at a higher angle of attack, lowering the speed further. How much is a good question, I can't tell you. I don't have a voodoo. And I don't have the time or skills with programming a computer radio to figure out how to do it on my Siren/Sunracer/Escape. I just land them long and fast Fortunately I am blessed with some very long runways in my area.
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Sep 06, 2010, 10:56 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,864 Posts
This doesn't answer the original question ("how to slow the model for landing"), but it may apply because it still has to do with improving the landing. What I have been doing with my Rifle is mixing in about 20% 'up' elevator to a switch. When I flip the switch I get up elevator. Originally, I started using this for the launch, but now I also use it on landing too. When it's time to land and after I cut the power I flip the 'up' elevator switch. The plane naturally balloons at first, but when it slows and reaches 'equalibrium' and settles into a natural glide that is slower than without the up elevator. What this does is dampen the pitch down when I momentarily let off the elevator during the last few seconds before touch down--you know, when you're coming in to land you're working the elevator. This makes for smoother landings and usually slower landings too.
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KRProton; Sep 06, 2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 12:23 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418 View Post

Kid
Never had much luck with spoilerons on full length ailerons (tip ailerons work well though), the throws are so tiny (mechanically limited) that id think you'd end up with a reflexed wing on a voodoo and therefore make it harder to land.

Ive tried it on a few different full length aileron pylon planes, and ended up with either a faster glide due to the reflex or a plane that just dumps hard (pancaked a few playing with settings ) couldnt find a throw that just slowed it down.

Doesnt show any sign of wanting to tip stall with flaps (its only 2mm of throw) still feels predictable. Its not a massive amount of drag, just lowers the stall speed. I think there is a decent amount of reflex built into the wingtips on a voodoo which helps keep it stable

All the stock throws on the voodoo feel right, if a tad twitchy, when slower (28-37-2), but ive reduced my elevator throw to about +/- .7mm and ailerons are around +/- 1.5mm with the 16-15-2. Using an A9 my expos are around the 80% mark (roughly the same as 50% on a JR radio)

Still got a slight ballooning happening at full noise, its only at full noise and flat out though (which is stupid crazy fast) . Im toying with the idea of mixing in some up ailerons with full throttle to add some more reflex. Shimming the TE of the wing isnt going to work due to my servo setup, and it flies on rails at any speed other than "crazy fast" so dont want to ruin that.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 05:51 AM
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2007
53 Posts
Thanks everyone for the feedback

Much appreciated

Ray
Old Sep 07, 2010, 02:19 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Never had much luck with spoilerons on full length ailerons (tip ailerons work well though), the throws are so tiny (mechanically limited) that id think you'd end up with a reflexed wing on a voodoo and therefore make it harder to land.

Ive tried it on a few different full length aileron pylon planes, and ended up with either a faster glide due to the reflex or a plane that just dumps hard (pancaked a few playing with settings ) couldnt find a throw that just slowed it down.

Doesnt show any sign of wanting to tip stall with flaps (its only 2mm of throw) still feels predictable. Its not a massive amount of drag, just lowers the stall speed. I think there is a decent amount of reflex built into the wingtips on a voodoo which helps keep it stable

All the stock throws on the voodoo feel right, if a tad twitchy, when slower (28-37-2), but ive reduced my elevator throw to about +/- .7mm and ailerons are around +/- 1.5mm with the 16-15-2. Using an A9 my expos are around the 80% mark (roughly the same as 50% on a JR radio)

Still got a slight ballooning happening at full noise, its only at full noise and flat out though (which is stupid crazy fast) . Im toying with the idea of mixing in some up ailerons with full throttle to add some more reflex. Shimming the TE of the wing isnt going to work due to my servo setup, and it flies on rails at any speed other than "crazy fast" so dont want to ruin that.
What about throttle to elevator mix?.. Im using it with great sucess.
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:46 AM
uk
Joined Oct 2007
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonger View Post
I am selling my never flown Orange/white VooDoo is anyone if interested, it's just too small, i don't know how you guys fly it. On ebay from tonight.
still for sale?
mk1spitfire is offline Find More Posts by mk1spitfire
Old Sep 22, 2010, 07:48 AM
smokin electrons...
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,265 Posts
Heres a video of mine, can someone run Doppler on it so i can work out how fast it is???

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post16102867
skyzking is offline Find More Posts by skyzking