HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:00 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,614 Posts
I've got lots of experience with another small pylon racer, but not the Voodoo. I'm sure the Voodoo experts will chime in, but I've learned a lot. First, if you can, get a somewhat experienced assistant (not your wife, not your kid, not a passerby walking down the street!) to do the launch. This way, your hands will be on the sticks. Later, when you get it trimmed self-launching should be no problem. Then, I also like to add about 20% 'up' elevator trim activated by a switch. After you launch, you can flick the switch to turn off the up trim. This is less necessary if you've got gobs of power. Tell your assistant to look at the plane as he throws it (at least this is what works for me) and concintrate on keeping the wings level.

Launch directly into the wind, or possibly quartering from the left, but not the right. Depending on the motor/prop/battery combo, the plane will probably torque to the left on launch, so a nice breeze will facilitate the launch.

Make sure the conditions are optimal until you get used to such a small, fast plane--sun at your back, blue sky not gray. Our field faces West and I don't like to fly past about 1:00 or 2:00 in the afternoon because when the sun starts getting overhead or in view it's just too hard to see these things.

It might take a few flights, but once you get the control, timing and confidence to bank these things hard and turn quickly this will help you keep it close--you don't need to fly as far as you might think if you can turn it hard. But don't overbank, otherwise you'll pull it into the ground.

I guess you can always throttle back too!

When you're in the air, once you get it trimmed, climb to a good altitude and cut the throttle to see how it behaves when you are going to land. Hold full elevator and watch what it does. Hopefully, if it's set up correctly, it will just settle into a stable glide path and not drop a wing. Then, you'll have an idea of what it's gong to do when you land.

Set your timer at least a minute short of how long the plane will fly full-throttle. This will give you ample time for as many landing attempts as you need. You don't want to be landing under any pressure--if you don't like the approach just go around and try again.

Keep in mind I've never flown a Voodoo, but I imagine it's similar to other pylon racers. I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong and give their own tips.

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:39 PM
smokin electrons...
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,257 Posts
Thanks for the input Tim, very much appreciated.

I have run into a problem. The plane has a HET 2W (4750kv) motor and 40A Esky ESC. Static with a 4.75x4.5 =, it draws around 80A. But the previous owner ran the exact same setup for many flights without any worries. He did a 70 second run full throttle which only used up 890mAh which i think equates to around close to 30A draw.

Can there be such a major difference between static draw and draw in the air?
skyzking is online now Find More Posts by skyzking
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:27 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,153 Posts
That prop is way too big for that kV motor, it will hold together with awesome cooling, but not in a pylon plane, gauranteed toast.

a 4.1x4.1 will draw around 60A Id guess on that motor on 3S.

Perhaps he was running 2S?
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Aug 24, 2010, 01:00 AM
smokin electrons...
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
That prop is way too big for that kV motor, it will hold together with awesome cooling, but not in a pylon plane, gauranteed toast.

a 4.1x4.1 will draw around 60A Id guess on that motor on 3S.

Perhaps he was running 2S?
Nope, im running exact same pack 3S. I have switched to a 4.5x4.1 instead. He reckons everything is stone cold after flying...
Old Aug 24, 2010, 01:03 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,153 Posts
You guys must have some seriously hot stones in strayla for that too be "cold" !
Old Aug 24, 2010, 08:06 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyzking View Post
Thanks for the input Tim, very much appreciated.

I have run into a problem. The plane has a HET 2W (4750kv) motor and 40A Esky ESC. Static with a 4.75x4.5 =, it draws around 80A. But the previous owner ran the exact same setup for many flights without any worries. He did a 70 second run full throttle which only used up 890mAh which i think equates to around close to 30A draw.

Can there be such a major difference between static draw and draw in the air?
skyzking,

I'm wouldn't yet call my self an expert in this current/Wattage/Voltage/prop game, but I'm getting there. Same as jackosmeister said, and in spite of the previous owner's data, I'm pretty sure that about 4000kV is about the highest you can go on 3S - and that's with a smaller prop (I run 4.5x4.1 on my ARC 28-37-2 motor with 3750kV). I also have several trials logging data both static and in-flight which shows that the current draw is about 32% less in the air than on the ground (so if, on the ground I'm drawing maybe 33A or so I would still use a 25A ESC). Maybe you could get away with bursts of full power (70 sec?) in the air, but it still sounds like you're pushing it with that setup.

I just purchased a Neu 1105/2Y motor that has 5000kV. I ran it on 3S with a 4.1x4.1 and it drew about 59A, 618W!!! Way too much. This sounds in line with your numbers considering you have a larger prop but a lower kV. But I flew the motor this morning on 2S (4.5x4.1 prop) and it was beautiful--not as fast as I prefer, but a nice, lightweight setup and the motor was very happy.

Based on my '32%' data, if you're drawing 80A on the ground you will be drawing about 54A in flight.

Tim
Last edited by KRProton; Aug 24, 2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:17 PM
smokin electrons...
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,257 Posts
Thanks for everyone for the input. Flew her this morning, flies like on rails and easier than i thought to fly. I was using the motor for 10 sec bursts, flew around for 2-3 minutes, when it came down it wasnt hot at all. But i dont think ill run this setup continuously...
Old Aug 25, 2010, 05:13 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,614 Posts
Congratulations on your maiden! Eventually, I assume, you'll end up flying the thing with the throttle stick 'firewalled.'
Old Aug 25, 2010, 06:02 AM
smokin electrons...
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
Congratulations on your maiden! Eventually, I assume, you'll end up flying the thing with the throttle stick 'firewalled.'
Thanks, ill eventually put a lower Kv motor in it and a separate BEC...
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:49 AM
UK. Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2010
3 Posts
I just got one of these models and would like to build it up as a very fast sports model but nothing too crazy which will require excessive modification to the model, i have flown fast IC pylon models in the past but not for a while and the only electric RC i have flown lately is a Zagi and then a Zagi "Tazz" which is getting a bit boring now.
I know very little about the workings of electric RC and would like recommendations for stock bits for it which are commercially available in the UK, all i have is a couple of 35Mhz transmitters (Sanwa RD6000 and a Futaba T6X) but would be prepared to buy a 2.4ghz set-up if necessary.
I need advice on everything as a package, the motor, speed controller, receiver, battery pack and servo's.
Many thanks in advance.
bonger is offline Find More Posts by bonger
Last edited by bonger; Aug 25, 2010 at 09:03 AM. Reason: spell correction
Old Aug 25, 2010, 01:19 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,153 Posts
bonger - Big question

Radio is a big question, 2.4Ghz is the way though. There isnt much room in a voodoo, so glitching would be hard to resolve. Im liking the Aurora 9 lots, Optima 6 Rx with the case removed fits well.

The rest of it depends on budget, and how fast you want too go.

The hyperion 1800 Vx 35C 3S packs fit the voodoo well, so thats a good starting point, and youll need a 30mm 3.2mm collet spinner. MPJet make good ones.

Some generic power systems for the 3S, there are a bunch more depending on budget -

~120mph
Mega 16-15-3, 4,75x4,75APC, 30A esc.

~130+mph
ARC 28-37-2, 4.5x4.1, 40A esc

~150mph+
Mega 16-15-2, 4.1x4.1, 60A esc

Servos, Futaba S3154 fit very well, and work very well
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:39 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,505 Posts
oops!!! Had a little glitch... still, can't wait to get my voodoo!!! Good to hear the Futaba's are working well; I think that's what I'll go with.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Aug 29, 2010, 02:17 AM
UK. Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2010
3 Posts
Thanks Jacko.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 08:42 AM
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2007
40 Posts
Hi,

Not looking for anything too hot, just want to run for 2 minutes in a club pylon race.

Im running the mega motor 16/15/3 on a APC 4.1 x 4.1 and it pulls 17 amps on the bench so thats about 290 mamps/minute.

I have a small 1000 mah 3s 25c lipo that fits fine and balances the model

Is this all ok or am i a numpty

Cheers

Ray
madgooner99 is offline Find More Posts by madgooner99
Last edited by madgooner99; Aug 29, 2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 02:07 AM
UK. Hertfordshire
Joined Aug 2010
3 Posts
I am selling my never flown Orange/white VooDoo is anyone if interested, it's just too small, i don't know how you guys fly it. On ebay from tonight.
Last edited by bonger; Sep 05, 2010 at 05:49 AM.