Chris
Mavrik is offline Find More Posts by Mavrik
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2005, 04:52 PM
Netherlands
Joined Aug 2004
25 Posts
Hi everybody,

I finally received my VooDoo last saterday and testflown it yesterday.
I was amazed by the quality of the kit and was happy I could fit in my 3s TP2100, which would give me some nice flighttime.

I was really surprised how easy she starts and flies like she is on rails. Landings are easy too, you just need a long way to bleed of the speed.
The speed is very high offcourse, as expected. I only think the advised rates on the ailerons are way to small.

Full throttle gives 22000 rpm at 22 Amp. Since the max Amp of this motor is 18 Amp, I reduced the throttle in my transmitter so the motor draws 19 Amp static at 21000 rpm.
I was first using a Hacker Master 18-3P (with this setup I have flown quite some time in my micro-jet, without any problems, flight time 8-10 min full throttle) but it stopped the motor after about a 4 min flight because the controller got too hot. I already drillled some holes in the fuselage but I doubt that this helps. So I changed it with the 30-3P and now I can fly it without shutting down the motor. BUT the controller is getting very (too) hot and I have to think off something to improve the cooling.

My setup: Mega 16/7/6
Battery 3s ThunderPower 2100 Gen II
Hacker Master 30-3P
Cam speed prop 4,7x4,7
Schulze 835
Graupner C1081
Take off weight 409 gramm
C/G at 41 mm

Robert
robert4u is offline Find More Posts by robert4u
Old Jun 27, 2005, 05:11 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2001
2,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert4u
.......Full throttle gives 22000 rpm at 22 Amp. Since the max Amp of this motor is 18 Amp, I reduced the throttle in my transmitter so the motor draws 19 Amp static at 21000 rpm.
I was first using a Hacker Master 18-3P (with this setup I have flown quite some time in my micro-jet, without any problems, flight time 8-10 min full throttle) but it stopped the motor after about a 4 min flight because the controller got too hot........

Robert
Using the throttle to reduce the current draw is a formula to get a hot controller. It is very hard on the controller.

You should use a smaller prop to reduce the current. I would suggest trying a 4.7 x 4.1.

Chuck
rcelectfly is offline Find More Posts by rcelectfly
Old Jun 28, 2005, 01:18 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2005
865 Posts
Quote:
Hi everybody,

I finally received my VooDoo last saterday and testflown it yesterday.
I was amazed by the quality of the kit and was happy I could fit in my 3s
Full throttle gives 22000 rpm at 22 Amp. Since the max Amp of this motor is 18 Amp, I reduced the throttle in my transmitter so the motor draws 19 Amp static at 21000 rpm.
I was first using a Hacker Master 18-3P (with this setup I have flown quite some time in my micro-jet, without any problems, flight time 8-10 min full throttle) but it stopped the motor after about a 4 min flight because the controller got too hot. I already drillled some holes in the fuselage but I doubt that this helps. So I changed it with the 30-3P and now I can fly it without shutting down the motor. BUT the controller is getting very (too) hot and I have to think off something to improve the cooling.

My setup: Mega 16/7/6
Battery 3s ThunderPower 2100 Gen II
Hacker Master 30-3P
Cam speed prop 4,7x4,7TP2100, which would give me some nice flighttime.

I was really surprised how easy she starts and flies like she is on rails. Landings are easy too, you just need a long way to bleed of the speed.
The speed is very high offcourse, as expected. I only think the advised rates on the ailerons are way to small.

Schulze 835
Graupner C1081
Take off weight 409 gramm
C/G at 41 mm

Robert

Hi Robert,

Congrats on your maiden.

I will be in the air this weekend with voodoo. Has rained here for 1 week solid

Good to hear that TP gen 2 3s 2100 fits in. Was it tight squeeze ??

I am running

mega 16/15/3
Schulze alpha 835
cam 4.7x4.7
1500 3s PQ 20 c
cc 25 amp esc

Bench test draws 23.5 amps static.

2 questions

# Where did you place cooling holes ??

# What connectors did you use for wing servos ??

Chris
Old Jun 28, 2005, 05:29 AM
Netherlands
Joined Aug 2004
25 Posts
Hi

@Chuck: thanks for the advice. I heard about it before, but since I flew this set-up in my micro-jet for numerous times, I thought it would be oke. It is when enough cool air passes the controller. I definitly will try a smaller prop to get the cuurent down

@Chris: At first I was thinking about the same motor you are using, but I wanted to go as light as possible to get easy starts. Also I'm surprised that it only draws 23,5 Amp. Is it possible for you to take some rpm-readings??
Might be an option in case I get used to the speed, and looking for more

I haven't seen those PQ 1500 20C. Where did you get those??

Getting the TP-pack in and out is just a matter off seconds. Fitts in perfectly. Almost looks like the VooDoo was designed around the TP, and there is still room left to change the C/G. About 0.5 inch forward and 2,5 inch back.

The cooling holes you can see in the picture. I don't believe they are very effective, maybe I will build a small airscoop to force the air into the fuselage.

The connectors I used on the wingservo's were the smallest( and idiot-proof ) I could find in my LHS. They are from SIMPROP

Good luck with your maidenflight next weekend!! ( although you won't need any luck because it just flies so easy),

Robert
Old Jun 28, 2005, 05:45 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,278 Posts
The question I stil have is will the other TP2100 pack fit on top of the pack you already have in the fuse?

3S2p = Double the Wattage
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jun 28, 2005, 06:01 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2005
865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG
The question I stil have is will the other TP2100 pack fit on top of the pack you already have in the fuse?

3S2p = Double the Wattage
Yes that would be mad set up. Unfortunately no. The wing servos would get in the way when wing bolted to fuse !!! I think this ship will go fast enough as is

Chris
Old Jun 28, 2005, 06:09 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2005
865 Posts
Quote:
Hi

@Chuck: thanks for the advice. I heard about it before, but since I flew this set-up in my micro-jet for numerous times, I thought it would be oke. It is when enough cool air passes the controller. I definitly will try a smaller prop to get the cuurent down

@Chris: At first I was thinking about the same motor you are using, but I wanted to go as light as possible to get easy starts. Also I'm surprised that it only draws 23,5 Amp. Is it possible for you to take some rpm-readings??
Might be an option in case I get used to the speed, and looking for more

I haven't seen those PQ 1500 20C. Where did you get those??

Getting the TP-pack in and out is just a matter off seconds. Fitts in perfectly. Almost looks like the VooDoo was designed around the TP, and there is still room left to change the C/G. About 0.5 inch forward and 2,5 inch back.

The cooling holes you can see in the picture. I don't believe they are very effective, maybe I will build a small airscoop to force the air into the fuselage.

The connectors I used on the wingservo's were the smallest( and idiot-proof ) I could find in my LHS. They are from SIMPROP

Good luck with your maidenflight next weekend!! ( although you won't need any luck because it just flies so easy),

Robert
Thanks for the pics Robert. I will try and souce those servo connectors also. The pack I use is Poly Quest new 20 C version. I have seen them on the maxamps web site http://www.maxamps.com/index.html?la...arget=d14.html.

Where did you get TP packs from ?

I will try and borrow a rpm meter and post.

Chris
Old Jun 28, 2005, 06:21 AM
Netherlands
Joined Aug 2004
25 Posts
Hi GregG,

2 packs will definitly not fit in the VooDoo. I was already to happy to get 1 pack in since it has to slide below the speedcontroller. And also the extra weight of a second pack would mean difficults starts and landings I think.

Chris I got my TP at www.allerc.com. Got them delivered to europe within 1,5 weeks!!

I'm looking forward to the rpm-readings.
What's you're all-up weight??

Robert
Old Jun 28, 2005, 06:46 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2005
865 Posts
Quote:
Hi GregG,

2 packs will definitly not fit in the VooDoo. I was already to happy to get 1 pack in since it has to slide below the speedcontroller. And also the extra weight of a second pack would mean difficults starts and landings I think.

Chris I got my TP at www.allerc.com. Got them delivered to europe within 1,5 weeks!!

I'm looking forward to the rpm-readings.
What's you're all-up weight??

Robert
Hi Robert,

Will check all up weight tomorrow on dig scales and post.

Will have access hopefully to RPM meter on weekend at flying club !!

Are TP 20 C packs ?

Chris
Old Jun 28, 2005, 07:54 AM
Netherlands
Joined Aug 2004
25 Posts
Hi Chris,

the Tp 2100 genII are 10-12C cont. and 16C burst (21-25A/33A), so this will be more than enough for these little engines , and there weight is only 148 gramm with connectors

Robert
Old Jun 28, 2005, 12:35 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,278 Posts
Quote:
.....2 packs will definitly not fit in the VooDoo. I was already to happy to get 1 pack in since it has to slide below the speedcontroller.....
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the quick answer. Since another 3 cell pack won't fit on top of the existing one would at least one more cell fit without interfering with anything? Perhaps a 4S or a 2S2P?
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jun 28, 2005, 05:50 PM
Ain't Dutch? Ain't Mutch!
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
Those Thunder Power Gen 2 packs cheap and quick from Dave at www.lightflightrc.com

I am thinking of moving the front servo down to the rear behind the rear servo. Or on top of the rear servo or rather below it when the wing is bolted on. All of this to make room for the 2 packs of 3S TP 2100. Then a 16/15/x and CC-45 to go warp speed.

Also a Schulze 535w to save some room.

Jos.
Kimble_Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Kimble_Schmitz
Old Jun 29, 2005, 05:51 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2005
865 Posts
Quote:
Hi Chris,

the Tp 2100 genII are 10-12C cont. and 16C burst (21-25A/33A), so this will be more than enough for these little engines , and there weight is only 148 gramm with connectors

Robert
Hi Robert,

I buggered up that amp draw on prior post you were right. Tested on flat pack. Charged pack with posted set up draws 32.5 amp static. Not good for lipo pack !!! I will need to prop down to say 4.2x4.2 apc. Hopefully this will amp down to around 24 amp static.

Now will need to source one for weekend. Bugger !!
Old Jun 29, 2005, 06:33 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2005
865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimble_Schmitz
Those Thunder Power Gen 2 packs cheap and quick from Dave at www.lightflightrc.com

I am thinking of moving the front servo down to the rear behind the rear servo. Or on top of the rear servo or rather below it when the wing is bolted on. All of this to make room for the 2 packs of 3S TP 2100. Then a 16/15/x and CC-45 to go warp speed.

Also a Schulze 535w to save some room.

Jos.
That would be animal set up. What do you currently have in Voodoo ??

Chris