United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeydukey10 View Post
hi berger
please can you send me pics?
I hope I go down the correct route with these servos
I dont like the idea of fitting a new mounting plate or piece of wood like others have done and would like to mount them where they are supposed to go... I just hope it all fits in!!
Any pics would be good guys
OK, let me take some, I should have them up in the next 2-3 hours.

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2011, 09:53 AM
Sponsored by Team de la Peña
Joined Aug 2008
2,581 Posts
OK, Here are some pictures of my setup:

Some notes. I am running an ARC 28-37-2 3750KV motor with an APC 4.1X4.1 prop.

As you can see from the pictures, I have a small piece of foam taped to the motor to get the right spacing for the motor. You may also be able to tell that there is some hot glue on the servo wires on the wing. My first setup had a lighter motor and the receiver mounted in the nose. When I went to the heavier motor I had to move the receiver to the back to get the right CG and I had to break the wires loose from the hot glue tabs to move the plug to the rear of the wing between the the push rods. BTW, that micro Deans plug is the best thing ever in this application

I took some pictures of the servo arms, In all three cases I had to drill new holes inside to hole closest to the center that was provided to get the travel within the range I wanted, this also ensures best torque and centering.

Any more questions please let me know.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bdelapen; Oct 10, 2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 10:06 AM
voodoo magic maaan
United Kingdom, England, Merton
Joined Jan 2011
342 Posts
THANKS BIRGER
I have the same servos as you coming and will start the build tomorrow...
My battery is 4mm deeper than yours - do you think I will squeeze it in under the wing servos using the same layout as you?
L.
lukeydukey10 is offline Find More Posts by lukeydukey10
Old Oct 03, 2011, 10:26 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,581 Posts
Quote:
THANKS BIRGER
I have the same servos as you coming and will start the build tomorrow...
My battery is 4mm deeper than yours - do you think I will squeeze it in under the wing servos using the same layout as you?
L.
It may be possible, you will have to be extra clean with your wiring, no excesses anywhere. Another thing that may help a lot will be to do away with the battery connector and go to bullet connectors, it's amazing how much space they can save.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2011, 08:41 AM
voodoo magic maaan
Joined Jan 2011
342 Posts
I havent even started and this plane is proving a bit of a pain to put together!
Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:08 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,581 Posts
Quote:
I havent even started and this plane is proving a bit of a pain to put together!
Hang in there, it's well worth the effort. As I mentioned way back when I originally built mine, it's like fitting four square pegs in a round hole

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:12 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,538 Posts
yes this model is the bomb. You think it is hard to fly....it is fast but not difficult when set up right. Mine is so clean that it was super fast 130+ and very quiet.

The hardest part is landing, it took me to fly bys to get lined up properly at a sod farm.

have plenty of space when maiden and be ready for a left roll with 3/4 throttle out of the your buddies strong throw.

Doug
dougmontgomery is offline Find More Posts by dougmontgomery
Old Oct 04, 2011, 10:30 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,247 Posts
Part of the voodoo experience is getting as many watts as possible into its fuselage, and then grinning from ear to ear when it finally fits after attempt #22
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Oct 09, 2011, 07:11 AM
voodoo magic maaan
Joined Jan 2011
342 Posts
voodoo build starts today when I can get my pregnant missus, content and settled down in front of the tv
I am going to go with BDELAPEN's methods of servo mounting as I have exactly the same batteries for this project
I am nervous about using this method as it seems that 90% of other voodoo builders have gone for servos mounted at the back of the wing.....
wish me luck.....
Old Oct 09, 2011, 09:22 AM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
With all due respect to the good folks on this forum, I think the vodoo is way over priced for what it is. The wing looks like a quality build but I am not too excited about the fuse. I could crush it by squeezing it with one hand.

I will go a head and build it and fly it....but $269 for this thing is way over priced.
Kaw1000 is offline Find More Posts by Kaw1000
Old Oct 09, 2011, 03:22 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,247 Posts
Are ferrari's over priced?
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Oct 09, 2011, 04:24 PM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
We talking apples and oranges?
Old Oct 09, 2011, 04:38 PM
voodoo magic maaan
Joined Jan 2011
342 Posts
yes it is expensive but the quality seems much higher than other planes I have bought eg. top models stinger.. The voodoo is rigid and very solid compared to that..

phase 1 of my build complete: motor & esc wired up, servos epoxied in stock positions, elevator servo also epoxied in as it was a bit small for the bracket and the epoxy fills the gap nicely

Unfortunately the esc I bought for this project is dead so this build will be dealyed until I can get a new one sent from supplier :-(
Old Oct 09, 2011, 06:35 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,538 Posts
make one that quality and tell me it is overpriced!!!!You will spend countless hours and thousand of dollars to get something close in comparison as a voodoo.
ask me why I know.....doug
dougmontgomery is offline Find More Posts by dougmontgomery
Old Oct 09, 2011, 07:39 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,581 Posts
Quote:
yes it is expensive but the quality seems much higher than other planes I have bought eg. top models stinger.. The voodoo is rigid and very solid compared to that..

phase 1 of my build complete: motor & esc wired up, servos epoxied in stock positions, elevator servo also epoxied in as it was a bit small for the bracket and the epoxy fills the gap nicely

Unfortunately the esc I bought for this project is dead so this build will be dealyed until I can get a new one sent from supplier :-(
What servos did you end up with? If I don't remember incorrectly my elevator servo fit perfectly.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2011, 08:43 PM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmontgomery View Post
make one that quality and tell me it is overpriced!!!!You will spend countless hours and thousand of dollars to get something close in comparison as a voodoo.
ask me why I know.....doug
I think the wing is way above par...when you can take a fuse a crush it with one hand that to me is not quality. Unless the fuse is designed for weight reduction
I think that the first hard belly landing will damage it.

I have many sailplanes that are built light but yet much stronger than this fuse.
As you may know weight is everything in a sailplane air frame.

We will see how she does as far a durability.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 10:14 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw1000 View Post
I think the wing is way above par...when you can take a fuse a crush it with one hand that to me is not quality. Unless the fuse is designed for weight reduction

I have many sailplanes that are built light but yet much stronger than this fuse.
As you may know weight is everything in a sailplane air frame.

We will see how she does as far a durability.
What you will notice is that the fuselage is squared off, not round under the wing saddle. This is done to fit the right (larger) size battery. Once the plane is put together and the battery sits in the bottom you will feel that it is very solid and rigid. I haven't had any problems with landings at all with this plane, I would be much more worried about catching a wingtip and cartwheeling than any damage done to the fuse from a landing, even a "hard" one.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2011, 02:46 AM
voodoo magic maaan
Joined Jan 2011
342 Posts
I used the futaba 261's - they are a good fit but I had originally planned on using a bigger servo so had in fact filed the servo tray to be a bit wider...
I should have the voodoo finished tonight...
Thank god for this thread or it would have all gone wrong - its so useful to see what others have done, blow by blow
Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:41 AM
Electric only
Graz - Austria
Joined Nov 2002
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw1000 View Post
It won't. Only if the rest of the model is also broken.

I flew my Voodoos for competition for some time. Even when I landed not so well and a wingtip touched the ground, most of the times the plastic(!) screws just broke and everything else remained OK. It needed REAL crashes to break it :-)

There were models with even thinner fuses.

RK
rkopka is offline Find More Posts by rkopka
Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:57 PM
voodoo magic maaan
Joined Jan 2011
342 Posts
so, voodoo mk1 is ready now.... the build was stressful to think about but in reality was a doddle thanks to this thread

I have done the cg and set up the rates etc...

One last question to the voodoo panel... are the suggested flap mixes really necessary and what are they for?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 02:20 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,710 Posts
Don't let your dog doodoo on your Voodoo.

(Sorry about that - I hope you enjoy your Voodoo for many flights!)
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2011, 02:23 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,581 Posts
Quote:
so, voodoo mk1 is ready now.... the build was stressful to think about but in reality was a doddle thanks to this thread

I have done the cg and set up the rates etc...

One last question to the voodoo panel... are the suggested flap mixes really necessary and what are they for?
I have landed with and without the flaps. They are worth it, I have found no bad tendencies and it does slightly slow down your landing speed and make it easier to hit the runway. Remember, VooDoo glides far and fast.

I have three flight modes:

Takeoff/Landing: 100% rates both aileron and elevator, 3mm flaps deployed proportionately starting at 25% throttle (0mm) going to 0% throttle (3mm).

Cruise: 100% rates both ailerons and elevator, 1mm camber mix (flaps down with elevator up and flaps up with elevator down).

High Speed: 70% ailerons, 80% elevator, 1mm camber mix, 1/2mm reflex mix (ailerons up) proportional with throttle from 80% throttle (0mm) to throttle 100% (1/2mm).

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:45 PM
voodoo magic maaan
Joined Jan 2011
342 Posts
its never easy is it?! that seems like a lot to think about when you are flying around at 100mph +
I use the DX8 - what do you use and which switch do you use to change modes?
L
Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:03 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,581 Posts
Quote:
its never easy is it?! that seems like a lot to think about when you are flying around at 100mph +
I use the DX8 - what do you use and which switch do you use to change modes?
L
I have it set up this way specifically so that I don't have to think, just move the switch during transitions and that's it. I have a Futaba 8FG and I use a single 3-position switch above my right stick (as I use for all my rates on all my airplanes).

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2011, 08:51 PM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
I have landed with and without the flaps. They are worth it, I have found no bad tendencies and it does slightly slow down your landing speed and make it easier to hit the runway. Remember, VooDoo glides far and fast.

I have three flight modes:

Takeoff/Landing: 100% rates both aileron and elevator, 3mm flaps deployed proportionately starting at 25% throttle (0mm) going to 0% throttle (3mm).

Cruise: 100% rates both ailerons and elevator, 1mm camber mix (flaps down with elevator up and flaps up with elevator down).

High Speed: 70% ailerons, 80% elevator, 1mm camber mix, 1/2mm reflex mix (ailerons up) proportional with throttle from 80% throttle (0mm) to throttle 100% (1/2mm).

- Birger
I have been flying my Voodoo for a couple of years now. I have never set up any flaps/camber/reflex. I will have to try that. Just been lazy. I just want to make sure when you say landing flaps, you mean ailerons down. I would have assumed spoilers (up ailerons) would be used. Is any elevator compensation needed?
hybris is offline Find More Posts by hybris
Old Oct 10, 2011, 08:59 PM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
744 Posts
mopar_man did catch my launch last weekend. 15mph cross wind made taking off easy. Landing was a different story. Without flying over the crowd, I had to dork it in the high grass. Saw it flip, spin, etc but luckily no damage. I was amazed. In fact, the only damage it has received is some cracks in the fuse half way to the tail. That was from a very bad landing where I caught a wingtip on something and it cartwheeled and landed inverted.
hybris is offline Find More Posts by hybris
Old Oct 10, 2011, 09:20 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris View Post
I have been flying my Voodoo for a couple of years now. I have never set up any flaps/camber/reflex. I will have to try that. Just been lazy. I just want to make sure when you say landing flaps, you mean ailerons down. I would have assumed spoilers (up ailerons) would be used. Is any elevator compensation needed?
Yes, ailerons down, as per the manual (mix 2):

I just realized that my camber mix (mix 1) is also as per the manual, 1mm down 1/2mm up (did the original description of my setup from memory ).

I don't have any elevator compensation, it definitely balloons when I apply the flaps but a little down and it soon settles into a nice glide with no input, if anything I hold a little up to keep altitude and stop it from picking up speed. I usually do 2 to 3 circles on descent to loose altitude and speed.

I find that the trick to landing is to start your final turn at the right altitude and make it nice and wide because even at full throws, at the much slower speed, the roll rate is marginal at best so coming out of the turn lined up with the runway takes a little practice.

My reflex mix is not per the manual but more of a personal addition, I found that when I went to my high power setup the VooDoo climbs on the straightaways under full throttle (did not do that on my low power setup). I can't tell you the exact speed where this starts happening but if I had to guess I would say it's around 130MPH. In order to tame this I went a little back in the CG but that was not enough so I went to the reflex mix which I use only when I'm on my high speed flight mode.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:17 AM
voodoo magic maaan
Joined Jan 2011
342 Posts
MAIDENED - wow what a screamer.. easy to launch, very fast, doesnt roll as quick as I would like (will adjust rates and expo)
Going back out now!!
Love it!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:56 AM
voodoo magic maaan
Joined Jan 2011
342 Posts
great flying afternoon in SW London today
3 batteries later and here is my report:
Love it, the whistling noise it makes gives me wood, its very easy to fly and has no bad habits that I have noticed yet (apart from breaking props), its a long lander but thats fine if you have a big flying field
so, my only problem is the breaking props - I broke an apc 4.1x4.1 and then a camspeed 4.75x4.75 - both times the landings were almost perfect and my esc brake is off..
what a lovely little park(?) rocket!!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:02 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,585 Posts
I prefer landing with the brake on. This allows the prop to fully stop and the pilot can continue to blip the throttle until the prop clocks in a horizontal fashion...I haven't broken a prop in ages

Kid
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418