Old Feb 21, 2006, 04:35 AM
UN Earth peoples true enemy
Euroland
Joined Jan 2004
1,801 Posts
Antenna for 35mghz

ezmo
I use 35mghz and have put anntenna outside and inside fuse

for outside simply squashed under wing fitting at back fed to tail and sticky taped to tail

this raises the back section of the wing so it dosnt sit so flush
As I dont trust the bolts there is a large sticky tape running form front to rear which also keeps wings on and this flattens ot the rising back section

due to 35 mghz is so long typicly double as long as the 72mgz
and to stop wrapping around prop wraped some arround fuse on the way to tail and then excesss dangling out was again brought to tail and sticky taped so forming a loop
primitive simple works for sports use

that was with the jr 600 and jr 700 types recivers

later too gain more room the antenna was fed out through the fuse and excess sticky taped to tail feathers in another loop

no issues for me

For racing I would solder fine piono wire .6mm
and put it out the fuse throgh the centre and out the back hole with a litlle loop on the end to stop it poking things

I would put sticky tape or solor film on the wire where it passes through fuse so if metal push rod hit the wire antenna it would not make metal to metal problems

and for transport bend it aound in a loop and stick it to the fuse somewhere when not flying

My latest solution is to buy the new spectrun dx6 2.4ghz radio with two small antennas 6 inches long 15 cm and try to solve those problems

Ralf
treehog is offline Find More Posts by treehog
Last edited by treehog; Feb 21, 2006 at 04:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2006, 04:50 AM
Finland
Joined Aug 2005
695 Posts
Thnks, have to build and test ranges.

I would like to use other than CA to glue aileon servos on wing, in order to remove those if one of them gets broken. What kind of glue would suit the purpose, Dont think that double faced tape would be the recommended one?

Esa
ezmo is offline Find More Posts by ezmo
Old Feb 21, 2006, 08:55 AM
Seattle, WA
Joined Nov 2002
294 Posts
Most folks flying Voodoos out here are running the antenna out the tail. Some are swapping the floppy antenna wire for stiff piano wire so there is less drag. I really don't think the elevator push rod would cause any interference and I'm not aware of any problems. In any case these are small planes so they can't fly too far away from the pilot ...
Diesel 10 is offline Find More Posts by Diesel 10
Old Feb 24, 2006, 05:41 AM
Finland
Joined Aug 2005
695 Posts
Here is the "sex-machine", it is soo beautiful. Havent maidened it yet, maybe I just dont have guts to demolish it.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:47 AM
Joined Feb 2005
14 Posts
Voodoo Machine

Ezmo,

I would not use CA or double sided tape. Guys in our club have built about a dozen of these and the consensus seems to be epoxy. Sand the wing where the servo will go, sand the servo, clean both with a little alcohol and glue in. You want a nice strong bond.

If a servo comes loose in flight . . .disaster.

It is a great flying airplane. You can fly it around at half throttle till you get used to the speed.

Be sure to set a little camber for landing. Enjoy
leftturn69 is offline Find More Posts by leftturn69
Old Feb 24, 2006, 12:01 PM
Finland
Joined Aug 2005
695 Posts
thanks. this is not my first pylon. I had RazFaz that went over 160km/h and turn left. There was only two positions on throttle, on and off . I just noticed how little (again) trim affects to elevator and aileons, when having pushrod next to servoaxle. it hardly makes any difference on the level. Just hoping that plane would go straight as default without any trim, cause otherwise it would be caotic to fly and get it down in one piece.

Well tomorrow I have plans to maiden. First recheck (fifth time) that everything is ok, then range check with my friend, if some weird glitch behaviour, maiden cancelled. Video is mandatory. It is easier to analyze incident if something went wrong. wish me good luck.
Last edited by ezmo; Feb 24, 2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 03:41 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmo
I would like to use other than CA to glue aileon servos on wing, in order to remove those if one of them gets broken. What kind of glue would suit the purpose, Dont think that double faced tape would be the recommended one?
I don't know if you have this locally, but around here we like to use "GOOP." http://eclecticproducts.com/goop/ad_amazing.asp

There are other brands, of course. It's like a very stiff rubber when it dries, so it holds servos well, but is still removable if you need to replace a servo.

Epoxy also works well... but use a good epoxy (not 5-minute). Sometimes epoxy works too well, and you damage the servo when trying to twist it off.
davidfee is offline Find More Posts by davidfee
Old Feb 24, 2006, 03:54 PM
Finland
Joined Aug 2005
695 Posts
Well I have used CA already, I sanded both sides, feels really firm when twisting. But thanks from Goop reply, would sound ideal for that purpose. Have to find alternative from Finland to that, you never know when needing that again
Old Feb 25, 2006, 02:56 AM
Joined Aug 2004
757 Posts
Well, a friend of mine asked if I wanted to buy a little plane that I was impressed with sitting on his truck. Sure, so I bought it, went to the hobby store and $700 later i'm putting it together. This thing is great! I don't like to spend lots of time building, I have other planes to work on.

FUTABA 3110. I bought three of these and will post their performance.
Mega 16/15/2
Phoenix-45
JR 770 receiver.
I have used 4.7 X 4.7 on a few F5D sized so I want to go 4.1 X 4.1 at higher rpm. I think the plane is so clean it will go faster with that setup. Erik.
jetdryvr is offline Find More Posts by jetdryvr
Old Feb 25, 2006, 04:13 AM
Finland
Joined Aug 2005
695 Posts
General issue, that trim effect. It hardly moves elevator. If the plane doesnt go at straight level, when elevator is 0 level, I might have hard time, cause I have now tried to redrill the hole to servo horn to make everything straight level with no trim. Now my trim is almost at the end of pull and now my elevator is 0 level, or straight (depends how you wanna say it).

Have you had any issues with having to use a lot of trim in maiden??

Today should be my maiden
Old Feb 25, 2006, 06:23 AM
Finland
Joined Aug 2005
695 Posts
NO maiden today, nor this weekend. Didnt get the elevator centered without any trim. And at the end of the day I bent the pushrod not knowing it is aluminum tube

Have to wait till wednesday to get replacement parts for plane to build adjustable elevator pushrod. I did 8 holes to 2 servo horn (each have 4 arms), none of them gave me satisfied centered elevator.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 07:33 AM
Finland
Joined Aug 2005
695 Posts
Well I managed to do maiden after all. Had missing components. Maiden was success. it really goes fast and glides better than what I have ever experiences. May buy another plane soon just in case something goes wrong with this one. Its pure adrenaline.

http://koti.welho.com/ejumppan/video/VOODOO.avi

Here is maiden video. Have to find better filmer, cause he lost the plane after first turn (left turn)

Esa
Old Feb 26, 2006, 08:10 PM
I just can't wait !
Joined May 2004
446 Posts
Best place to purchase a voodoo

Where can I buy one in the USA?
zmonte is offline Find More Posts by zmonte
Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:42 PM
Joined Aug 2004
757 Posts
Ezmo, what is that white stuff all over the ground in the video, Erik, California.
jetdryvr is offline Find More Posts by jetdryvr
Old Feb 27, 2006, 01:42 AM
Finland
Joined Aug 2005
695 Posts
In Finland we are so rich that I have covered one field with styrofoam powder to prevent any damages to my plane when landing

Just kidding. It is the powder called snow Yes its bit extreme conditions in Finland when flying, but at least it cools down motor nicely. When landing plane dives into snow you see steam rising from snow when motor melts it, knowing where your plane is

Esa