SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 29, 2004, 09:46 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,461 Posts
Idea
One Cat.. no bears.. Guillows PBY

Greetings. Hope everyone is having a safe holiday season!

I was debating om starting a thread on the Guillows Cat, but was having a few issues on options, decisions. The major issue is the tip floats. Making them retract on this size airframe requires lightness. Which is a hard thing to do and still keep durability and reasonable appearance.

I have two 6v SP-400's from the Hornet that are just broke in. E,A,R,M, controls will be used.

My thoughts may have to go with plug in floats for water flying. But the door on this subject is still open. As always this thread is open for anyone wanting to post their ideas or pics of their PBY. I think we should keep our good friend Tim happy, by keeping on topic, tho..

Steve
St. Martin is online now Find More Posts by St. Martin
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:07 AM
Well rested user
Amsterdam
Joined Sep 2004
179 Posts
Nice Steve,

Very very nice indeed. I am on a quest to find the original Dutch East indies paint scheme, will post as soon as I do!

Tell us a bit more, looking at the amount of ribs it must be quite the wingspan on this baby!
Peekes is offline Find More Posts by Peekes
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:11 AM
Vancouver WA
Joined May 2004
1,335 Posts
Wow, lots of ribs! Wanna save some weight? Remove every other rib aft of the spar (see the PKG Mustang thread for a wing that this has been done to). Then trade the weight savings in on a micro retract unit in each tip for the floats.

My 2 cents,

ericm
ericm is offline Find More Posts by ericm
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:14 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,461 Posts
WS is 45" What you see built is one nites assembling. It took me two nites to prepare the parts. This is my second one. I bought two kits in 1991, built the first one then for two Davis conv. .049's. First one still hangs in friends home in Fla.

Steve
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:21 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm
Wow, lots of ribs! Wanna save some weight? Remove every other rib aft of the spar (see the PKG Mustang thread for a wing that this has been done to). Then trade the weight savings in on a micro retract unit in each tip for the floats.

My 2 cents,

ericm
I have given the retract unit some thought. Still deciding. The ribs are of very good quality balsa. The wt savings would not be that much. Actually, I'm not too concerned with frame wt. But I don't want to go over board. I have planes that I hardly ever fly. because of a too low wing loading. I saw the mustang thread. I have some pics of one I built for a customer a few yrs ago. Somewhere in the "archive".

And your two cents are always welcome..

Steve
Old Dec 29, 2004, 11:42 AM
Well rested user
Amsterdam
Joined Sep 2004
179 Posts
Steve,

I am just wondering, how will weight be an issue with this thing?
Powering it with dual SP 400s will enable you an AUW of approx 3 pounds right?

If the plane is all balsa and span, you should be on the light side, right?
Peekes is offline Find More Posts by Peekes
Old Dec 29, 2004, 01:22 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Dumb idea #42: Why not build the floats with the usual hinges, but instead of complicating it with retracts, just lock them up for land, down for water? Almost as light as plugins...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Dec 29, 2004, 01:24 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,461 Posts
Actually, PJ, I'm not too concerned with the AUW. I would like to see 35oz.

This is what I have since the last post. I'm making the pylon section of the fuse, removable. This required making an extra F-3 & F-6 top bulkheads. There will also be an extra side keel portion. This will give access to the innards. I used this function on the first one. There will be a step built on the inside edge of the access for a silicone seal.

Time for bed.. nite all..

Steve
Old Dec 29, 2004, 01:27 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle
Dumb idea #42: Why not build the floats with the usual hinges, but instead of complicating it with retracts, just lock them up for land, down for water? Almost as light as plugins...
Thanx for the input! Yes this method has been considered also. Still trying to decide. I'm open for all ideas!

Thanx!

Steve
Old Dec 29, 2004, 02:16 PM
Lagopus lagopus
Houston Hobby, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
765 Posts
PBY Catalina is a nice looking airplane, so I expect your airplane to look nice. Are you using retractable landing gears? I have seen that Guillow's kit, looks cool. It is meant for display actually.
WillowPtarmigan is offline Find More Posts by WillowPtarmigan
Old Dec 29, 2004, 02:57 PM
Departing at 'O' dark 30
Sudbury, Ont. Canada
Joined Feb 2002
1,253 Posts
Watching with interest! I want to build a float plane, the PBY is soooo pretty too. How well do they fly Steve?
Cass is offline Find More Posts by Cass
Old Dec 29, 2004, 03:13 PM
Vancouver WA
Joined May 2004
1,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Martin
The ribs are of very good quality balsa. The wt savings would not be that much. Actually, I'm not too concerned with frame wt.
I always kidd my buddy Bryan about shaving ribs and stuff, as the weight savings from that is minimal. But it all adds up, and he ends up with light airplanes!

Looking forward to seeing this build,

ericm
ericm is offline Find More Posts by ericm
Old Dec 29, 2004, 03:20 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,619 Posts
I only really looked at the Cat a while back in connection with another thread. Of all the big Guillows kits this is the one that really looks good and seems to have the best looking use of the construction methods.

As for LG and floats I'm with TLyttle on this. Fold down and lock tip floats and plug in landing gear. It's very rare to fly off mixed sites and the original did not lower the floats for ground landings anyway so it would even be more scale that way..... and SOOOOOO much simpler.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Dec 29, 2004, 03:57 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,180 Posts
hey Steve..

on the thread... are you going to use the plastic provided??
gearup is offline Find More Posts by gearup
Old Dec 29, 2004, 04:41 PM
Ay up it's warped
Derbyshire UK
Joined Feb 2003
1,306 Posts
My 2p worth, having read a thread in the waterplanes section on retractable tip floats. A chap on there fitted them but had problems with them digging in flying from water. If memory serves he prefered it without them up.
mtbrider is offline Find More Posts by mtbrider