HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2002, 06:14 AM
Torrington, CT. 06790, U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2002
267 Posts
Parachute made by Airfoil Aviation for Skysurfer

Does anybody ever bought a 'Performance Parachute' made by Airfoil Aviation to replace the original one made by Graupner? How is the 'Performance Parachute' made by Airfoil Aviation working on the Skysurfer? My Skysurfer has 4 spots (2 for steering and 2 for lifting) to attach the parachute on it. But the 'Performance Parachute' made by Airfoil Aviation has only 2 set of strings and just hook the 2 clevises on 2 the 2 upper plastic rods. The steering lines of the Skysurfer used are left off. I need all of your feedback please.

Thanks,

Minh Nguyen
Minh Nguyen is offline Find More Posts by Minh Nguyen
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2002, 06:18 PM
Puerto Rico
Joined Mar 2002
2 Posts
DO NOT BOTHER TO BUY IT. None of Airfoil Aviation's stuff works. They do not even care to respond to my continued requests for assistance during the past 3 months. I purchased 3 parkflyers for me and a couple of friends and a performance chute for the Skysurfer. None has worked so far. I'll appreciate any assistance. Perhaps by letting people know of Airfoil Aviation's poor business' practices -to say the least- they may react and act upon their faults.
potin is offline Find More Posts by potin
Old Mar 12, 2002, 06:31 PM
R/C Enthusiast
Craley, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2001
1,090 Posts
I also made the mistake of buying one. I tried numerous times to make it work, but my sky surfer just crashes to the ground. I switched back to the original chute. The "performance chute" is very well made, but it simply doesn't work. Save your money.
sgil2001 is offline Find More Posts by sgil2001
Old Mar 12, 2002, 06:56 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,368 Posts
Strange?....

I found them to be very helpful with my 1/2 scale unit.
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Mar 12, 2002, 07:02 PM
Puerto Rico
Joined Mar 2002
2 Posts
Lucky you! A similar complaint has been posted by another victim at the Yahoo all rc paraplane and paragliders group. There's also another posting about a negative experience elsewhere on this forum.
potin is offline Find More Posts by potin
Old Mar 12, 2002, 07:21 PM
Crest Hill,Il
Joined Oct 1999
200 Posts
I also bought one and couldn't get it to fly. I also e-mailed them and never got a response. But when I asked through an e-mail on how much it would cost to re-string the chute, they finally e-mailed me back. I have a chute with torn strings if any is interested in the chute.
ckoerner is offline Find More Posts by ckoerner
Old Mar 12, 2002, 07:34 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,368 Posts
Gez, that doesn't sound encouraging.
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Mar 12, 2002, 08:08 PM
Ontario Int, California, United States
Joined Feb 2001
628 Posts
Hello fellow paragliders- looking at the pic. I don't see much diff. bet. the original and this so called high performance chute from Airfoil aviation! I've been flying my skysurfer probably more than any of you guys besides my regular planes bec. it's just pure fun and non-stress flying! I fly it by my neighbor's houses and kids and adult just stop and see this floating "thing" do a spot landing right at my feet! Anyhow, Unless you guys don't know, you can make your skysurfer high performance by lowering the angle of attack thereby making the parachute more streamlined specially good on windy days- it'll also increase it's speed- increase the angle and the parachute catches more air and climbs faster but move forward slower becauce of it's resistance to air. Now I don't know if you guys read my earlier posts on my skysurfer but here's my modification- I removed the original receiver/ESC combination which way too heavy and replaced it with a Wattage IC15 (way smaller and a lot lighter!) and also installed the receiver from my Hitec focus III for longer range and so I have options for a second servo if I want to install some thing to "drop" or to take pics.- Now I'am using my own Hitec focus III and my Kyosho 600mah nicads or the original batt. (1100 mah nicads) and I'am getting at least 10 to 15 min. per flight with throttle control bec. it has gotten a lot lighter!!
tnsfrk is offline Find More Posts by tnsfrk
Old Mar 12, 2002, 08:32 PM
Ontario Int, California, United States
Joined Feb 2001
628 Posts
I just checked out their website and I was right that they are using only 2 fixed lines for left and right steering and no adjustment for the angle of attack-which means that all they are offering with their product is it has a lower angle to catch less air and in turn, lower drag, so it's ! The original is a lot better bec. you can adjust it for windy condition or no wind/ also for faster or slower travel! I want to also add that by increasing the angle of attack will make your landing a lot more softer so it is easy on the skysurfer's components! Stick with the original guys- also if you ruined the parachute- Horizonhobby sells the original one for $50. and some change! Happy flying guys!!!
tnsfrk is offline Find More Posts by tnsfrk
Old Apr 16, 2002, 12:26 PM
Piccolator
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jan 2002
430 Posts
While shopping for a first RC plane for my 15 year old son, I saw this on hobby lobby and thought - neat.
I then saw the video clips and went WOW THATS AWESOME!

Is it really? is it a pain keeping lines straight or anything? I hate buying things that come with a TX. I wish they had a version I could use with our exsisting Tx since I feel I'm paying for something I don't need. Is it really that easy?
what if you kill power at high altitude? does it land gently?
how breakable is it? That's my biggest fear with his first RC plane.

what if you land it in grass? we don't have much blacktop where we fly.

Please tell me more about it - pro's and cons.
rojoyinc is offline Find More Posts by rojoyinc
Old Apr 16, 2002, 12:46 PM
The effect is sadly temporary
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
1,675 Posts
Sky Surfer is Great!!!

I bought the Sky Surfer from my LHS in a fit of rage one day. That is to say, I had just crashed my Piccolo for the umpteenth time, and I just wanted to put something in the air and have it stay that way.

I didn't actually expect that much from it. I remember about 10 years ago that ARFs and especially electric ARFs were only "toys" and you should expect much out of them. But I dutifully put it together. It comes with a 30 min video, and you build the plane with the video in real time. Of course it takes 30 min to charge the battery, and they don't tell you to do that until the end of the video.

Anyway, I love it. It has flown great since day one. I've put a few small punctures in the canopy (easily fixed with scotch tape) and crashed into trees, houses, and a birdhouse on a pole. (The birdhouse turned out to be inhabited by wasps, and I had a heck of a time retrieving the plane. I guess wasps get pretty mad when you crash a plane into their house... Landing on grass is no problem. It has a slow forward speed in a glide, and just flops over. There's no elevator control, so it always comes down at the same speed. I've done touch and goes, and takeoff and landings in the street in front of my house. It is possible to land upwind, and just pluck it out of the air. I can catch it with reasonable regularity.

I haven't had any problems with the lines getting tangled. ALWAYS keep them clipped to the plane, or clip the clips to eachother. That way nothing can get twisted. (Oh, I did get the lines run up into the propeller once but no harm done.)

My only real gripe about it, is the ESC. It cuts off the motor quite a bit sooner than I think it should, and you can't restart. I usually fly for 3 or 4 minutes, and then run for the highest altitude that I can get. That way when the motor cuts off, I have 30 sec to 1 min of glide time to set up a good landing. Flights run about 6 min. Though I've crossed 7 when I went for maximum altitude. It'll never do loops or rolls, but if you don't mind that, then go for it!

Feel free to get in touch,
-Dan

P.S. I own one of those parachute kites and it didn't provide enough lift to keep the sky surfer airborne. I don't see any reason to change the one that comes with it. It's very durable.
Hippo is online now Find More Posts by Hippo
Old Apr 16, 2002, 01:12 PM
Piccolator
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jan 2002
430 Posts
That helps a lot thanks

I'm into kiting heavily - www.houseofphotography.com/kramer/kites.htm
It sounds like the high perf sail would work but it needs to be rebridled to a quad line configuration.

So it will be neat to mix the two hobbies. Oh but it's for my son ;-) (yeah right, can't wait to get my hands on it).

A kite manufacturer I'm linked with sells a kite repair tape called Tedlar like packing tape but extremely strong. It would be good for patching. From other posts I read, it seems like it's possible to swap out the ESC in the future.

Been searching for a plane for him - but I think this is the way to go.
rojoyinc is offline Find More Posts by rojoyinc
Old Apr 16, 2002, 02:58 PM
The effect is sadly temporary
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
1,675 Posts
Okay, if you like that then....

Hey! Kites are also a hobby of mine. I have too many hobbies, or only one. My hobby is collecting. I collect hobbies.

Anyway, if you really want to mix it up I bought one of those F-16 shaped kites trying to figure out a way to R/C it. Just for the heck of it I hung the Sky Surfer pod underneath, and sent it sailing. I won't say it was a huge success, but it did gain a little altitude, and I was able to steer it well enough to bring it back towards me and onto the neighbors roof.

Let me know what you come up with.
-Dan
Hippo is online now Find More Posts by Hippo
Old Jun 18, 2002, 10:35 AM
Joined Jun 2002
4 Posts
1/4 scale Airfoil

If there is anyone who has built and flown the 1/4 scale airfoil - could you please post (OR SEND ME)
some picture of the front , sides and back. The instruction book is so bad that I can't follow it.

I need to see some pictures.
pgesler is offline Find More Posts by pgesler
Old Aug 09, 2002, 09:10 PM
Quincy
Joined Feb 2002
5 Posts
AirFoil

I'm not sure what the question is on the book but you can gladly
call and we can email what ever you need. I see there are a couple people whom have had problems but I can tell you our
customer service is second to none. We currently have over 20,000 units flying and actually sell a couple of models to the U.S. ARMY. We sell so many models to University's to test electronics that if we had a problem they would definetly tell us. We have a new model coming out that has a review in Model Airplane with no negatives. Anyone that says they called and we would not help is incorrect. We recieve over 200 emails a day about our products so it sometimes takes several days to return them.

These are a different breed of machine but when built correctly
will give hours of fun flying.
I'm the owner of all 3 AirFoil company's and can tell you that the plastic Sky Surfer chute some are talking about was designed by one of our employees. The reason the Sky Surfer has two different
pull points has nothing to do with flying but was a way to get around a teeter bar "Patent" that has the same steering system but with only one pull point on each side. All of our models are Patent protected because of the unique steering system that does not make the servos carry the pods weight but only are used for steering.

If your having trouble let us know but if you complain without
letting us help theres not much we can do. We have had maybe
20 complaints and with the amount we sell thats .04% and that is a great customer satisfaction rate.
AirFoilaviation is offline Find More Posts by AirFoilaviation