SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 06, 2002, 01:03 AM
I'll fly anything...
United States, CA, Palm Springs
Joined Aug 2001
502 Posts
Great Planes P-51 Mustang ARF

Today was the first flight of my new Great Planes P-51 Mustang ARF. I made two flights today and it's still in one piece ... but I must say that it flies like a pig. I am not at all happy with this plane so far. I'll continue tweaking it and see what happens but so far it looks like it will end up on eBay if it does not straighten itself out pretty quick.

First flight with the CG right where it should be and all the surfaces trimmed to neutral it took of and went striaght up. It took all the down trim I had to get it to fly anywhere near normal. Retracting the gear caused it to pitch up again .. so much that I put the gear back down again to get it under control.

Second flight (after adjusting the elevator push rod to about 3 degrees down at neutral trim) it flew better but still had major pitch changes when cycling the gear up and down. After flying for a minute or so I notices one of the mains down and the other was up. This is a bad sign. I remembered my full scale flight training and cycled the gear up and then down again ... still just one one leg extended. I pulled a high G turn and the other one came down ... but was it locked? I flew around for a bit and then landed without incident. With the plane on the ground I wiggled the left gear leg and discovered that about 1 out of 5 wiggles resulted in the gear unlocking and retracting. Very strange! I'll tear it down tomorrow and see what's up with that.

First flight video is here http://www.allenrockwell.com/PhotoGa...ls/mustang.ram
I edited out all the ugly bits
GlasairAllen is offline Find More Posts by GlasairAllen
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2002, 03:24 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Super looking plane, wish it flew as well as it looks! Let us (Me) know what happens next!!
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Jan 20, 2008, 02:42 PM
HIGHWAY TO THE DANGERZONE
MADERA CALIFORNIA
Joined May 2007
102 Posts
I just bought the same plane 46-60 serries and it looks like it would be fairly stable to fly...What size motor are you running?? I down sized my motor to a 42 and made my retracs fixed position..
madtowntwitch is offline Find More Posts by madtowntwitch
Old Jan 20, 2008, 02:49 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,745 Posts
tail heavy; add an ounce of nose weight and see if that helps ( I know you said the CG was right, but plans can be wrong. balanced with full or empty tank?

mechanical or air retracts? good flight battery? all connections secured? surfact movement as indicated on plans?

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Jan 20, 2008, 07:16 PM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Mine's over 3 years old and after many many flights and a bit rough at the edges it's still in one peice! It powered with an OS .46 with and has the Great Planes .40 size retracts.
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Old Jan 20, 2008, 08:45 PM
your gonna snap the wings
covina CA
Joined Aug 2007
210 Posts
yeah seems to be tailheavy

how much down thrust does it have? let us know.

matt
rctoyflyer is offline Find More Posts by rctoyflyer
Old Jan 20, 2008, 10:37 PM
MADERA CALIFORNIA
Joined May 2007
102 Posts
The plane actually comes with mech. gear....
Old Jan 20, 2008, 10:40 PM
MADERA CALIFORNIA
Joined May 2007
102 Posts
this is my model
Old Jan 20, 2008, 11:17 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,745 Posts
No WONDER it flies like a pig! The wing insignia are on wrong (star pointing backwards) and there should be only ONE on the bottom -- on the right wing.

ANd the fact that they are too far to the rear explains the tail-heaviness.

howell
Old Jan 21, 2008, 09:49 PM
MADERA CALIFORNIA
Joined May 2007
102 Posts
lol I was in a hurry
Old Jan 22, 2008, 08:38 AM
I ain't got it!!!
USA, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Apr 2001
867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinhh
No WONDER it flies like a pig! The wing insignia are on wrong (star pointing backwards) and there should be only ONE on the bottom -- on the right wing.

ANd the fact that they are too far to the rear explains the tail-heaviness.

howell

EXACTLY why I tend NOT to post too many pictures of my handiwork. I'm sure not everyone who enjoys this hobby cares which direction a star insignia points, so long as the plane flies.

~Adam
Flying Low is offline Find More Posts by Flying Low
Old Jan 22, 2008, 08:57 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,745 Posts
A very nice fleet, Wellington, but what is the plane behind the Corsair? If I had to guess, I'd say RV-4 (since the rest are scale)...

howell
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:26 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinhh
A very nice fleet, Wellington, but what is the plane behind the Corsair? If I had to guess, I'd say RV-4 (since the rest are scale)...

howell
Laser or Edge?

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:00 PM
MADERA CALIFORNIA
Joined May 2007
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Low
EXACTLY why I tend NOT to post too many pictures of my handiwork. I'm sure not everyone who enjoys this hobby cares which direction a star insignia points, so long as the plane flies.

~Adam
I agree...