SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 27, 2004, 04:28 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Nov 2004
18 Posts
Little lunch time fun

Stepped out of my cave at work for lunch and noticed the wind was blowing pretty darn good. I would estimate 15-18mph. I work in downtown San Diego and truely only have 60 mins for lunch. So with no real slope withing reach, I drove over to Fiesta Island. This is a small island in Mission Bay that has a 10-15ft berm all the way around its perimeter. I've been telling myself the next time the wind kicks up I need to give it a go.

Well today was the day. When I got out there, sand was blowing across the road. I drove around the island until I got to a place where the wind was hitting the berm head on. Took out my Raider which I keep in my car pretty much all the time and walked to the top of the berm. I could barely hold the thing in my hand, the wind was twisting and pulling on it like crazy. My first toss and it shot up about 50ft and rolled onto its back and just tumbled into the center of the island like a piece of debre. Adjusted my trim down a little and gave it another toss. It flew! But man was it a challenge. It was getting bounced around all over the place, and the band of lift was pretty narrow. Get in back of it and you got blown 100 yards into the center of the island, get in front and you pretty much had to land. But in that band of lift, it was nuts! For about 30 mins I danced in and out of the lift sometimes fighting to stay off the ground and sometimes fighting to get down out of the sky. It was a blast, constantly fighting for control.

It was a fun little lunch break.. Now I'm back in my cave. =)

Mark.
TheCheat is offline Find More Posts by TheCheat
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:59 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
373 Posts
Fiesta Island,
Isn't that the spot where the RocketBoys go? Rockets?? I also think you are 1 mile within the famous San Diego Electric field?? Maybe you were getting hit! Maybe you smashed a $2000 dollar electric(hotliner)??? I don't know!
maherrpca is offline Find More Posts by maherrpca
Old Dec 28, 2004, 12:03 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maherrpca
Fiesta Island,...I also think you are 1 mile within the famous San Diego Electric field?? Maybe you were getting hit! Maybe you smashed a $2000 dollar electric(hotliner)??? I don't know!
It's happened before. We're right there next to the South Boat Ramp. Be advised the next time you consider flying there, Mark. Don't wanna rain on your parade, but...

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Dec 28, 2004, 12:26 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Nov 2004
18 Posts
Point well taken. Would not want that to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood
It's happened before. We're right there next to the South Boat Ramp. Be advised the next time you consider flying there, Mark. Don't wanna rain on your parade, but...

mw
TheCheat is offline Find More Posts by TheCheat