HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2004, 02:03 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Apr 2002
243 Posts
Build Log
EMHW 2.48M Katana Building Thread

I wanted to share some building pictures of my new project.

I am building a 2.48 meter Katana from Exclusiv-Modellbau to be used as my IMAC plane for next year.

Exclusiv-Modellbau is the same German company who makes the 2 meter Funtana Pro that I built last year. I think the quality of their kits is second to none.

The Katana is about 33% with a 97" wingspan and 92" length. Depending on the motor/batteries I chose, I expect the weight to be somewhere between 19 and 23 lbs.

I hope to get some help along the way from those with more experience with planes of this size.

Below are some pictures of the kit.

The kit arived in one big box.

The wood parts, both lite ply and balsa, are CNC routed.

The following major components are also included.

- fiberglass cowl
- fiberglass main landing gear
- aluminum main wing tube
- aluminum horizontal stab wing tube
- big smoked canopy
- fiberglass wheel pants
- very lightweight fiberglass spinner with almn. backplate
- big air filled wheels
- misc hardware

Matt
Matt Fritz is offline Find More Posts by Matt Fritz
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2004, 02:14 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Apr 2002
243 Posts
The included building instructions are in German and are not very thorough. I translated the German instructions to English and pasted them into the manual.

I also found a German web site (http://www.team-wuestling.de/home.htm) with good building instructions and pictures for the 3.1 meter Katana which is suposed to be 95% the same as the 2.48 meter Katana. I translated the German to English and made a hardcopy of both the picutures and instruction.

Matt
Old Dec 27, 2004, 02:20 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Apr 2002
243 Posts
This is my new bench where I am building my Katana. It is 11.5 feet long with a very flat top (sheet rock over mdf). It is long enough that I can build both of the wings at the same time as I did with my Funtana.

Matt
Old Dec 27, 2004, 02:28 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Apr 2002
243 Posts
I have just finished to vertical fin and the rudder. It uses a unique hinge system that allows the rudder to be easily removed. The hinge consists of a brass rod that slides throught the plastic sleeve in the rudder and into the nylon hinge of the vertical fin.

Sheeting around the tight radius of the rudder hinge took some work. Also note the included fiberglass control arms. They seem very light weight.

Below are some pictures of the completed rudder.

Matt
Old Dec 27, 2004, 02:29 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Apr 2002
243 Posts
Now I am ready to start on the horizontal stab and the elevators.

Matt
Old Dec 27, 2004, 03:39 PM
Convert!
Los Angeles, CA (UCLA)
Joined Nov 2002
3,889 Posts
looking good. what are you going to use for power?

Rhett
rroback is offline Find More Posts by rroback
Old Dec 27, 2004, 03:45 PM
Czech Republic, Plzeň Region, Město Touškov
Joined Feb 2002
535 Posts
Nice one Matt, I was looking to do this one next also. Having just finished the 2mtr 'Pro' I taken quite a liking to these models. What are you using power wise, 2 x C50's? with 2 x 10S?

Alan
Cosmic is offline Find More Posts by Cosmic
Old Dec 27, 2004, 06:50 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Very nice so far Matt; Hows the Funtana?

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Dec 27, 2004, 07:24 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Nice to hear from you and also to see a new project. Looks like you'll need two C50's for this model. Are you going to go the same route as Sean Plummers C-ARF 2.3m Extra with two C50 16XLs and an Innerdemon gearbox?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=10

Will you be looking at ways to save some weight; replace ply, CF wing tube instead of aluminum, etc?

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Last edited by kelvin; Dec 27, 2004 at 07:34 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 08:38 PM
United States, AR, El Dorado
Joined Aug 2000
185 Posts
Matt,

Wow, man that thing looks great so far. Will you have it ready for this seasons IMAC schedule. I really cant wait to see that. What meets are you planning on attending this year? You are moving up to sportsman, right?

your friend,
Jason Greer
JasonG is offline Find More Posts by JasonG
Old Dec 28, 2004, 10:25 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Apr 2002
243 Posts
Kirby,

The Funtana is good. I'm praticing the IMAC sportsman with it now.

Jason,

I'm not sure which contests I can make, but I want to go to as many as possible. I hope the Katana is done in time.

Kelvin,

I don't plan on doing any lightening. I think it's already a very light design. In the future, I might get a carbon fiber wing tube as I have for my Funtana.

As far as motors and batteries I am considering the following.

1). Two Hacker C50XL's with Innerdemmon gear box and two 10s3p packs

2). Actro 60-??? with 12s4p @ 85amps (not sure on the prop size)

3). Plettenberg freestyle 3xl with 12s4p @ 85amps (not sure on the prop size)

I know the Hacker solution will work (per Sean Plummer's Extra), but I want to consider the single big Acro outrunner and the single big Plettenberg as well. I would prefer a single motor with no gear box, but I have not found anyone using either of these motors at this power level yet. I hope someone with experience with either of these motors can help advice me.

Matt
Old Dec 28, 2004, 10:36 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,323 Posts
I love the way that you've done the leading edges on the control surfaces. How many hinges does the rudder have? I see 1 top and 1 bottom, is that it?
GregG is online now Find More Posts by GregG
Old Dec 28, 2004, 10:43 AM
Gothenburg, Sweden
Joined Jan 2001
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Fritz
Kirby,

The Funtana is good. I'm praticing the IMAC sportsman with it now.

Jason,

I'm not sure which contests I can make, but I want to go to as many as possible. I hope the Katana is done in time.

Kelvin,

I don't plan on doing any lightening. I think it's already a very light design. In the future, I might get a carbon fiber wing tube as I have for my Funtana.

As far as motors and batteries I am considering the following.

1). Two Hacker C50XL's with Innerdemmon gear box and two 10s3p packs

2). Actro 60-??? with 12s4p @ 85amps (not sure on the prop size)

3). Plettenberg freestyle 3xl with 12s4p @ 85amps (not sure on the prop size)

I know the Hacker solution will work (per Sean Plummer's Extra), but I want to consider the single big Acro outrunner and the single big Plettenberg as well. I would prefer a single motor with no gear box, but I have not found anyone using either of these motors at this power level yet. I hope someone with experience with either of these motors can help advice me.

Matt
The Actro 60 would be very interesting in a plane like this. Hopefully soon we will have some numbers of the 60-175 on 11s as it is being tested by "Jocke" here at the forums any time now. If it would work well it would be an awsome setup, as there is very little maintainance. Actro says it can handle up to 85 amps and they are usually conservative. At 40 volts that´s 3.4 kW.

/Erik
Erik Johansson is offline Find More Posts by Erik Johansson
Last edited by Erik Johansson; Dec 28, 2004 at 10:50 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:27 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Län, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,828 Posts
Greg Covey is flying a 33% Edge on a Actro 40. so I can not se why this bird should not fly on a Actro 60. But if the power is enough for IMAC you never know until tried.

latest word I got is that the Petti 3XL sucked and is withdrawn...
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Dec 28, 2004, 12:31 PM
rmm
USA
Joined Dec 2003
228 Posts
You should get in contact with your IMAC SC regional director before you decide on what motor(s) you want to run. Rule 4.1 states only a single electric motor can be used. It's been discussed before on the IMAC list. Would be a good time to initiate change as the new rule cycle is starting up, I believe.
rmm is offline Find More Posts by rmm