HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2001, 04:18 AM
Surrey,UK
Joined May 2001
58 Posts
How to make scale WW I aircraft wheels?

Has anyone any tips for making scale WWI aircraft wheels or somewhere that sells the for a reasonable price (in the UK preferably)? I want some 2.5 inches diameter

These wheels tend to be expensive in my experience

Regards,
Trev
trevsie is online now Find More Posts by trevsie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2001, 04:27 AM
Grand Poobah of Nothing
Once Australia, now Finland
Joined Feb 2001
1,022 Posts
An article in EFI recently (Jan or Feb 2001 I believe) described a way to make them in great detail.
Trizza is offline Find More Posts by Trizza
Old Jun 17, 2001, 09:01 AM
BillBowne
n/a Posts
If you want them quicker and easier, try this:

Sandwich two layers of 3/16" balsa sheet over a core of 1/8" light ply.

Cut the whole thing to a round shape.

Using pencil or felt-tipped pen, draw where the inner edge of the tire/tyre will be.

Drill through the center. The hole has to be big enough to hold a bolt, and will be (mostly) filled in later.

Mount the assembly on a machine screw/bolt, then tighten one or two nuts onto the bolt to hold the wheel blank firmly in place.

Chuck the assembly in a Dremel, drill, etc. (I don't have a lathe, so I don't know if one would work).

With the blank spinning at a comfortable speed, use a sharp X-Acto knife (WELL-BRACED!) shape the blank as needed.

When done, remove the wheel from the bolt, drill out the hole, and insert a (preferably) pre-drilled-out piece of dowel. This will be the wheel bearing.

Paint as needed.

Wheels done this way will work very well on grass. When the wood starts showing through the "rubber", I use a black marker to cover it up.

Bill B.
Old Jun 18, 2001, 02:05 AM
Grand Poobah of Nothing
Once Australia, now Finland
Joined Feb 2001
1,022 Posts
For really good looking spoked wheels the EFI method is great though.
Trizza is offline Find More Posts by Trizza
Old Jun 19, 2001, 02:51 PM
Surrey,UK
Joined May 2001
58 Posts
Many thanks for the advice

Regards,
Trev
trevsie is online now Find More Posts by trevsie