HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2004, 12:45 PM
W. Lafayette IN. > PURDUE U.
Joined Dec 2004
23 Posts
Idea
Ripstop Nylon as Covering Material

My brothers have some kites that they dont use anymore and I was wondering if I can use the material as covering for RC purposes. The kites are constructed of ripstop nylon. It seems pretty light and that it could be used to cover a balsa substructure and make for a pretty sturdy plane. Has anyone else used this type of material successfully for covering? If you have can you give me any pointers about mounting it? It just screams "project" to me!
Jon K is offline Find More Posts by Jon K
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2004, 01:44 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,352 Posts
Hey now,
A million years ago in my U-control days we used to cover our ballon busters with parachute nylon. About the same as the ripstop used on the super kites your brothers have.
It makes a very durable covering that resists punctures from grass stalks and the birtch dowels that we used to hold the balloons. It's not even that heavy.
How we did it:
Over a balsa framework, sand the balsa smooth, ribs, l.e., t.e., spar, tip, root, *everything*. Paint the whole thing with nitrate dope (unthinned), let dry and resand smooth (the dope will raise the grain so the pips will need to be resanded), then another coat of dope and let dry.
Wet the nylon and lay it over the structure and pin it along the L.E. with "T" pins. Pull as many of the wrinkles out as you can, getting it as tight as a drum head (you can't get it that tight but try), and pin it along the trailing edge. Last, pin down the root and tip sections. Now that you've got it all in place, paint the edges where the wood and ripstop touch with thinned dope (50/50) and let it dry. Sand the overhanging cloth from the edges and cover the other side the same way. Now apply six to twelve coats of clear nitrate dope. If you're going to use a slimer motor you need to use fuel proof dope (butrate) for the last or colour coats, otherwise after a week you can paint the nitrate dope with anything, butrate takes six months to outgas before you can paint over it with anything but more butrate dope.
Lot of work? I supose, but back then we used silkspan or silk to cover our models, only the r/c guys used "money cote". If you're going to do this over a sheeted or solid foam wing you don't need to pin or pre paint the framework, but glass cloth would be better... Hope this helps...
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Dec 27, 2004, 01:47 PM
Lakes of NH off RT 16
Joined May 2002
197 Posts
I have used ripstop over a carbon rod frame, balsa would work. I used contact cement to hold it on. Give it a try.
appy2day
appy2day is offline Find More Posts by appy2day
Old Dec 27, 2004, 02:10 PM
T A C
Gilbert, Arizona
Joined Sep 2003
587 Posts
It works great. I have used the stuff left over from an "IFO" from Wild Rc on a balsa plane. You can even shrink it a little. Attached it with thin CA.
zzonie77 is offline Find More Posts by zzonie77
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:53 PM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,887 Posts
Hi guys,

Look for posts by Joel K. Scholz. In his "other" hobby, he is a famed kite designer, and really knows the material. He's used it on several planes, I have seen some personally and they look very very nice.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=ripstop

Later,
David
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
Last edited by Gofli; Dec 27, 2004 at 10:55 PM. Reason: added hyperlink
Old Dec 28, 2004, 02:46 AM
Joined Dec 2002
2,352 Posts
Hey now,
I'd foregotten about the I.F.O. Mine has ripstop covering... I applied it per the instructions, using contact cement, it works pretty well. I have a friend who has one that is covered with film, otherwise the same as mine, hos flies a bit better. I think unfinished the ripstop could be better. Doped, painted, or otherwise sealed it'd be a great covering, and yeah, before sealing it heat shrinks nicely.
I was wondering what I'd use to to cover that Ryan...
RobII
Old Dec 28, 2004, 07:01 AM
Central Florida
Joined Oct 2001
419 Posts
Guys have been using this in nitro combat for a long time. Use spray 90 and apply over foam. Works great looks good.

Drew
drewjet is offline Find More Posts by drewjet
Old Dec 28, 2004, 09:06 PM
Joined Oct 2004
47 Posts
You have ripstop nylon, polyester ripstop that resists stretch much more than its nylon counterparts plus polyester is totally water resistance as well as moisture resistant..
Texlon is a maker of polyester ripstop, many use this for high perf. stunts kites with polyester..Try here:
http://www.texlon.net/index8.html
It comes in many colors also and its very lightweight..and fairly puncture resistant
icenum is offline Find More Posts by icenum
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:44 AM
Joined Jul 2008
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfwreck
Hey now,
I'd foregotten about the I.F.O. Mine has ripstop covering... I applied it per the instructions, using contact cement, it works pretty well. I have a friend who has one that is covered with film, otherwise the same as mine, hos flies a bit better. I think unfinished the ripstop could be better. Doped, painted, or otherwise sealed it'd be a great covering, and yeah, before sealing it heat shrinks nicely.
I was wondering what I'd use to to cover that Ryan...
RobII
Hello elfwreck, I have just joined the forum and saw your message above concerning the IFO. Would you, by any chance, have the plans & instructions on sad model. If you do I would be most grateful if you could let me have a copy. I have got the general idea but really need a bit more know how. I look forward to hearing from you.. Rwell
Rwell is offline Find More Posts by Rwell
Old Jul 17, 2008, 08:35 AM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,554 Posts
Hey Rwell,

This thread is a few years old, and it was started around the time the IFO was popular (maybe it still is, but I don't seem to hear much about it anymore). I had the T-IFO back then which made a really good trainer for someone teaching himself to fly.

Luckily, it looks like they're still in stock and available. They serve as nice slow-flyers, novelty planes, and--the best part--are nearly indestructable.

Wild RC
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:52 PM
Joined Dec 2002
2,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwell
Hello elfwreck, I have just joined the forum and saw your message above concerning the IFO. Would you, by any chance, have the plans & instructions on sad model. If you do I would be most grateful if you could let me have a copy. I have got the general idea but really need a bit more know how. I look forward to hearing from you.. Rwell
Hey now,
Oddly this ms. came into my inbox today. Otherwise I'd never have seen it.
Unfortunately I did a major purge of the shop recently and I think the IFO and it's plans were amoung the casualties. I'll look, but I don't expect to find them. Still, the kit is available and the guys who make them could really use the bread, why not just buy the kit?
Luck to ya...
RobII