SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 26, 2004, 06:45 PM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2004
94 Posts
Yippee!
I'd like to clear things up...

Hello and merry christmas to all. I was happy to recieve a megatech freedom flyer for xmas. I did a search on the forum and all i got was negative fedback from the planes from megatech. I was starting to get upset and nerveous about the maidon. well i waited 5 days for the weather to permit. Get this, we get snow on christmas day over here in south lousiana i don't remember the last time that happened. well anyway, about 2:00 pm with a the battery topped off , i cycled the battery 5 times before. it took off from my hand with a little climb. i didn't have to trim it a bit. i did a couple of patterns and even did a touch and go. mind you i never flew a electric plane before. i was only into micro helis. after about seven minintes of flight i heard the battery getting low i did a landing approach and the freedom flyer just floated in for a landing. my brother was there and we did the high five thing after shouting and doing the dogbarking whoo whoo whhooo....After that i charged it up on my superbrain 959 charger and did 10, count them 10 sucssesful flights. I thank my future in-laws for this wonderful gift for xmas. i could not have asked for anything better. what a fantastic feeling it was to just go for it i came in and said no balls, no guts, no glory.
Well all this from learning on a flight sim and the way i work it won't be until a few days before i can do it again. Thanks Megatech for a wonderful product.

Shawn Pierce
sp32 is offline Find More Posts by sp32
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2004, 08:20 PM
Average User
Bakersfield, California
Joined Aug 2003
1,726 Posts
Glad you like the Freedom Flyer and had such a great day with it.

Megatech's batting average in the e-flight world is pretty low. So, their reputation reflects that. I'm one that had a very bad experience with a Megatech product as a newbie. First impressions kinda stick with a guy, ya know?

Again, congrats on the successful flights!!
M Ashmore is offline Find More Posts by M Ashmore
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:17 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,508 Posts
Re: Megatech

Even a blind pig will find an acorn once in a while.

No reflection on you, sp32. Most aren't as good or lucky as you.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:45 PM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2004
94 Posts
mind you i just fly on a sim.. practice, practice, and practice. I am going to the LHS to buy some extra batteries on thursday. I have to drive 50 miles to find one. I called my brother later ttonight and asked him what he was donig and he said he was at the checkout at our local walmart buying a two channel jet. kinda weird how things just grow on you if you are having fun at it. I would suggest to anyone the freedom flyer because it just flew on its own i just directed where i want't t to go. I can't wait for thursday now.

Shawn Pierce
Old Dec 27, 2004, 02:05 AM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2004
31 Posts
Shawn - I don't know what you mean by "clearing things up" - the record on the Freedom Flyer is poor to say the least. I own one myself and haven't had luck with it at all. I bought it prior to finding this group. It's difficult to get it off the ground and my son calls it the "Lead (as in the metal) Sled".

Your maiden flight was certainly a "dream". Sim practice or not - nothing beats the real experience of flying. You must have "magic fingers" or the "natural" eye hand coordination of an experienced flyer. Amazing; 10 successful flights, no trimming and it "flew on it's own" without a mishap. And your very first time flying a plane, too . It's utterly amazing. Almost too good to be true ;>.

Congrats to you and your plane - I'm sticking with the combined experience of this group when I make a future purchase.
George-Maxwell is offline Find More Posts by George-Maxwell
Old Dec 27, 2004, 02:38 AM
n00b
Beavercreek, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-Maxwell
Shawn - I don't know what you mean by "clearing things up" - the record on the Freedom Flyer is poor to say the least. I own one myself and haven't had luck with it at all. I bought it prior to finding this group. It's difficult to get it off the ground and my son calls it the "Lead (as in the metal) Sled".

Your maiden flight was certainly a "dream". Sim practice or not - nothing beats the real experience of flying. You must have "magic fingers" or the "natural" eye hand coordination of an experienced flyer. Amazing; 10 successful flights, no trimming and it "flew on it's own" without a mishap. And your very first time flying a plane, too . It's utterly amazing. Almost too good to be true ;>.

Congrats to you and your plane - I'm sticking with the combined experience of this group when I make a future purchase.

Hes not here to try and sell something. Hes simply sharing his opinion with thre group (whats the forums are for, no?) (Comment Removed)
SeanJ is offline Find More Posts by SeanJ
Last edited by Fred Bronk; Dec 29, 2004 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Personal comments removed
Old Dec 27, 2004, 06:59 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2004
94 Posts
i have video too. I just can't post it because i have no place to serve the video. if someone would host it i would email to them.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 08:55 AM
Joined Oct 2003
922 Posts
sp32,

Nice job. Would you say you prefer the plane to the helis? I was a little interested in a basic heli, but after reading about them and finding out that a lot of them aren't that great for "forward flight", and are best suited to indoors, I kind of lost interest. That is a nice Christmas surprise though - and no heart breaking crashes

Rob
robster94gt is offline Find More Posts by robster94gt
Old Dec 27, 2004, 09:42 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
sp32..congratulations..you are 1 of the few begginers {or advanced for that matter..lol} that has ever been able to successfully get a megatech plane to fly on the 1st try...megatech also makes a plane called the AiRSTRIKE.it has been nicknamed the Groundstrike..by many of the people who bought it as a begginers plane...either your a great flyer and/or you happened to get 1 of the few good megatechs availiable...but I can assure you that the larger percentage of peopel who have tried megatech products..end up with a massive non flying glob of glue and tape..oh..along with wasting about $200..
rumme is offline Find More Posts by rumme
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:18 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2004
94 Posts
Rob, Yes i would say that i prefer planes to helis as i to lost intrest in just hovering around. as for the planes i would say that i read alot in these forums before i flew for real paying close attention to what people had to say. i made sure that the cg was correct and before while assembly i had to take a hair dryer to straighten up the verticl stab. it was a little crooked. when i got my micro heli it came whit a web sight to donload fms. i did it and played with the helis until it was boring. then i played with the planes and was like whoo. this is fun... like i said i have a short video of the madion the plane is leaving my brothers hands and climbs to about 200' or so then you hear my future wife say she filming but can't see it anymore. I'm sorry to hear so much negative things about megatech and as i said before this was a xmas present that i did not purchase myself. my future fater-in-law bought it and he also got a j3 cub but he couldn't get it off the ground past 20' before a crash and totaled his plane. so thursday we will see what the lhs has to offer for him. sa for me i will still with my new little buddy and fly tilll the end. i am now hooked in this hobby and have over $600 saved for my next plane. not 5 miles away from where i live there is a ama field. i talked to the owner and i will go by there sunday for the day.

Shawn
Old Dec 27, 2004, 12:04 PM
Gamma
Newbury Park, CA
Joined Dec 2004
297 Posts
Great intro to fixed wing flight. What sim are you using?

Gamma
Gamma is offline Find More Posts by Gamma
Old Dec 27, 2004, 01:06 PM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2004
94 Posts
i am using fms. do a dearch on the iternet, it is a free download. works great
Old Dec 27, 2004, 03:02 PM
n00b
Beavercreek, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004