SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 26, 2004, 04:20 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,298 Posts
GWS ME-109E to G-6 conversion/build thread

I am starting this build thread on how I convert an GWS ME-109E to a G-6.
I am not going to rush in it, since some of the parts are going to be scratch built, and I also have two other projects on hand; a Skyshark VAL, and a GWS P-51 glass/hop-up.
The parts that I am going to construct are:
The spinner, supercharger intake,fuselage side bulge, wing intakes, wing tips, and maybe add cannons to the bottom of the plane.

The reference materials that I am going to use are:

1>Messershmitt bf 109 in action, ACES & ACES 3 from squadron/signal publications

2>ME 109 volume II from HISTOIRE & COLLECTIONS

3>LUFTWAFFE FIGHTER AIRCRAFT IN PROFILE from Schiffer Military history book.

4>More LUFTWAFFE FIGHTER AIRCRAFT IN PROFILE from Shiffer Military history book.
CUBANO8 is offline Find More Posts by CUBANO8
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2004, 04:28 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,298 Posts
I started out by removing 5/8" from the front of the exhaust, and 1/2" from the front of the bottom fuselage scoop( as shown in the pics).
Then i put the two fuselage halves together(not glued) with regular masking tape.
After that I sanded the nose to get the desired shape...
Old Dec 26, 2004, 04:32 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,298 Posts
I will be leaving the opening that already exsist's on the front bottom nose, for airflow to the motor and battery.
I am going to contruct the spinner now, and I will be posting more pics and updates later.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 09:53 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,298 Posts
Spinner construction:

I start out finding something just a little bit over in diameter than the front end of the fuselage. I've selected a peice of balsa wood for my base of the spinner; 3/16" X 3" X 36". Then I draw my circle, and I cut the base out...
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:03 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,298 Posts
spinner construction:

Here is my rough base. Then I find my center, drill a 7/64" hole through it. I use a 300 shaft and secure the base to the shaft with nuts and washers on each side. I attach this assembly to my dremel tool. With my dremel tool in my left hand, and my left thumb on the speed control, I apply constant pressure with a sanding block on my right hand. Never allowing the base to "runaway" with itself, while it is spinning, since it is not balanced, this could bend the shaft. So contact with the base and sanding block should always be there at the beginning....
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:14 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,298 Posts
spinner construction:

Here is the round base....
Next I drill two holes, which are going to hold my top foam peice to the base. I prepare the foam peices that are going to be used, cut them to shape, glue them together with 5 min epoxy, and screw the base to them....
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:26 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,298 Posts
...Then I attach this to my dremel tool, and use the same method mentioned above, using speed control and pressure.
I stop to check it as I go to get the desired shape and look that I want.
...and this is what I've come up with so far...
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:31 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,298 Posts
That's it for now. I have made two spinners so far, for the ME-109G
I will be working on the cannon port through the spinner and attaching the prop the the spinner assembly some other time.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:12 AM
Joined Oct 2003
2,298 Posts
spinner construction:

Got some more work on the spinner. I've installed the nose cannon, channeled out the top foam spinner to accomodate the prop,and worked on installing my spinner shaft holder from a GWS spinner to adapt it to my foam spinner...
Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:21 AM
Joined Oct 2003
2,298 Posts
spinner construction:

...adapted the GWS spinner to my prop shaft, then I glued the top foam spinner to the GWS spinner, and here's what I got up to date...
Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:25 AM
Joined Oct 2003
2,298 Posts
next time..
I will trim the nose cannon down a bit, clean the spinner up, and glass it for strength.
I will update later.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 09:40 AM
Joined Oct 2003
2,298 Posts
spinner construction:

I trimmed the cannon port, applied fillier in the cracks and holes, and glassed the spinner...
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:15 AM
Joined Oct 2003
2,298 Posts
Motor mount install:

The motor mount assembly was straight forward. The only mod that I did was to remove foam as far forward as possible on where the battery is going to go, for C of G adjustments. Channeled out the motor wire area, aligned the backplate with the fuse nose and glue. I also glued the 2 fuse sides together with the GWS glue, and I will let it sit for a couple days. In the meantime a might start on th wing.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 06:16 PM
know it all
Miami, Fl
Joined Nov 2003
2,949 Posts
you are a craftsman Sam.. I'm going by the field on friday morning, hope to see you then.. I'm still cleaning my work bench for the Piper Cub.. that requires lots of room.

What motor are you putting on this one?, how many warbirds do you have now?

Herm
hermperez is offline Find More Posts by hermperez
Old Dec 29, 2004, 06:27 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,298 Posts
I lost count on how many warbirds I have so far. I think I'm going to put a Himax 2025-4200 in it. I'll see you Friday morning.