HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2005, 08:49 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,203 Posts
Gee! And I'm trying to get smaller.....going for LPS system...here is so far ...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2005, 08:57 PM
Why aren't you out flyin?
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
Joined Mar 2004
2,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Gee! And I'm trying to get smaller.....going for LPS system...here is so far ...
Looking good GPW!
I'm actually trying to get smaller too.... what size is this new one?
-Rick
colbyweb is offline Find More Posts by colbyweb
Old Jan 06, 2005, 09:56 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Yea, and what's the red stick? Are you holding out on us?
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jan 07, 2005, 03:10 AM
igo
Joined Apr 2004
981 Posts
cd rom gws pico

if your ips motor craps out on your gws pico stik, try this conversion. everything is stock from the gws plane except the use of a cc10 and a homemade cd rom motor. 12neos nsnsns... 18(?)t, wye. prop is the gws 8043. weight without motor is 4.6oz. battery is either a kokam 2 cell 340mah or thunderpower 2 cell 730mah. with the kokam, flights up to 14min are common. it's never been flown indoors but i'm pretty sure it can. thrust to weight ratio is alittle above 1. landings are very easy. this is actually a plane i fly around when flags are wagging every with way. of course most of the flying in wind conditions is hovering.
igo is offline Find More Posts by igo
Old Jan 07, 2005, 07:02 AM
United Kingdom, Leighton Buzzard
Joined Sep 2004
548 Posts
hi

i have asked this question in many places with no help were do you guys get all your foam and can it be orderd off the internet in the uk?

thx matt
littleport2003 is offline Find More Posts by littleport2003
Old Jan 07, 2005, 07:57 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,203 Posts
lilport .... shipping is ridiculously expensive....but then we can't get Depron either (easily or cheaply)
c/web ...same size , smaller motor ....
Gbond....le Baton Rouge ala Sharpie....
Old Jan 07, 2005, 08:00 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Matt: It seems the different foams are a regional thing. In most cases, it's pretty expensive to ship foam overseas, or even cross-county, since the package size is so large. You should be able to find Depron somewhere in UK. Also, you guys have the wallpaper-backing board there which sounds good as well.

Here in the US, the common use for the fan fold foam is backing for aluminum or vinyl siding for houses. Not sure what they use there? Also, there are some similar foams used for a padding for hardwood or other flooring.

Finally, many guys have had to resort to slicing thicker foam boards into 1/8" or so slices using a hot wire rig. It's not too tough to do, I've tried it, and caught on pretty quick.

The real key is to figure out what the best locally available building material is, and then adopt a system for it's optimization in model size. For example, if your local foam is denser, chances are it's stronger, and can be sliced thinner... Or can span greater lengths without any bracing...
Old Jan 07, 2005, 08:25 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,203 Posts
Did you guys ever do gravity slicing .... OFB showed me how ....put the foam block on the table , place the wire from the bow on top of the foam the distance from the edge that you want the thickness to be... ,letting the bow hang directly beneath .... turn on the juice ... wire cuts straight down .....pretty cool and so easy (for a change...)
Old Jan 07, 2005, 09:34 AM
Joined Mar 2004
2,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Did you guys ever do gravity slicing .... OFB showed me how ....put the foam block on the table , place the wire from the bow on top of the foam the distance from the edge that you want the thickness to be... ,letting the bow hang directly beneath .... turn on the juice ... wire cuts straight down .....pretty cool and so easy (for a change...)
That is the way I cut my blocks out. Works great doesn't it?
-Rick
Old Jan 07, 2005, 09:55 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I'd have to have an awful deep bow to slice say a 10" wide sheet, though. May have to try it with some smaller (Bit-Size) stuff. My big bow is an old fiberglass kid's toy bow from long ago, restrung with wire. It's only about 10" deep at the center.

Jerbear has been slicing FF into 3rds for the wings and tails for out Bit-Size stuff. Works real well. I gave it a try the other day, and it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. I just strung a wire and spring across an old shelf board, about 24" wide, and propped the wire up on a couple popsycle sticks and slid the sheet through the hot wire... Viola!
Old Jan 07, 2005, 01:34 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2,046 Posts
I use my wing cutting rig to cut sheets. It is a similar setup to the feather cut that is available commercially. In my rig the bow is pulled through by gravity rather than pushing or pulling the foam. I use steel rod (or music wire) as a template for the bow string to ride on. Works pretty well, it's quick and easy and they all come out alike.
-Rick
Old Jan 08, 2005, 05:08 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Ahhh, what a nice day for flying! 2-3" of fresh, slushy snow, and no detectable wind

Flew 30-45 minutes on a 2s520 pack, stopping to do some trimming here and there. Most flying was below 1/2 throttle, hitting more for the tight turns, staying in the street in front of the house... And an occaisional loop or 3!

Realize, I'm down a prop size on this IPS... 9047RS on an IPS-A. Still, 1/2 throttle will still climb as well as my original stock LiteStik did on the 'specified' pack.

I did make a MAJOR CHANGE, which will be reflected on the updated plans. I added a shim to the front of the wing, to increase the incidence. I used 1 thickness of fan fold, skinned, so ~1/8", and it made the slow speed handling even better. If trimmed to fly level at 1/2 throttle, it climbs at full throttle, but not so bad it balloons...

I'll work on updating the plans in the next day or so, but it's not a big deal, since the wing is rubber banded on, a shim works fine.

I'm just extreemely pleased with the gentle flying and slow speed control of this one. Sure it'd be nice if it resmbled a 'real' plane, but it's closer than an IFO
Old Jan 08, 2005, 07:32 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,203 Posts
I'm "chompin' at the bit" to get mine done!!!! Never enough radios .... Glad to hear about the flying .... was 72 here today , but a little drizzly (we flew anyway ) ...Gbond sets the pace ... hahahahaha
Old Jan 08, 2005, 10:59 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Jan 2002
1,199 Posts
Pouring down rain. Again.

Haven't had decent flying weather for 2 weeks. Time to buy a Blade Runner I guess.
jbc455 is offline Find More Posts by jbc455
Old Jan 08, 2005, 11:22 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Hang in there... We've had so much rain (after the 20" of snow melted, and before the current 2-3" of fresh snow) this week, that we had a 'Water Boil' Warning... Our local water supply got flooded, along with many homes and businesses. Now it'll all freeze, and talk about a nightmare!