HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2005, 11:27 AM
San Jose, California
Joined Jan 2002
1,199 Posts
Like Gene said, it'll be much lighter if you remove the film and temper it.

I saved about 3/8 ounce by removing all the film.
jbc455 is offline Find More Posts by jbc455
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2005, 08:35 PM
Saint Petersburg, Fl
Joined Jul 2003
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
Yes, the UHU Creativ is good stuff.
Gene, thanks for the recommendation. I tried it tonight and it is indeed good stuff.

Felix
sawicki is offline Find More Posts by sawicki
Old Jan 05, 2005, 01:54 AM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
I have had mostly good results with Liquid Nails "Clear small projects and repairs" glue, LN-275. The tube is golden brown one one side, with a blue central area, and the words "exterior/interior" are written in the blue area, along with the product name.

It seems to work very much like the Uhu Creative, but is cheaper, and can be bought at Home Depot. It sets very quickly, perhaps 15 to 30 seconds. You have enough time to place the parts and maybe make one tiny adjustment, then they're bonded for good. (I think the Uhu Creative gives you no time for adjustments at all - once the surfaces touch, they're glued!)

The only downside of this is that it comes in a fairly big tube, and as I slowly go through the tube over several weeks, the glue comes out thicker and thicker, eventually getting thick enough so that it has to be spread with a popsicle stick or something similar. I have had some success thinning it with mineral spirits, but that makes it a bit of a pain to use. Still, its cheap, foam safe, bonds quickly, and leaves no foamy mess like the polyurethane glues.

Oh, one last thing: don't let this stuff dry on your fingers, it is surprisingly hard to remove from clean skin!

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Last edited by flieslikeabeagl; Jan 05, 2005 at 01:57 AM. Reason: clarify my writing
Old Jan 05, 2005, 05:55 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I haven't found the Liquid Nails "Clear small projects and repairs" glue... I did find the Liquid Nails perfect glue #1, though. Sounds real similar, but in a smaller tube. I found it at Menards. I felt like it was in the same class as the Uhu Creativ and GWS glue. I still like the ProBond where the strongest joint is required despite the slow setting time and mess.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jan 05, 2005, 08:08 AM
sardis,bc
Joined Sep 2003
502 Posts
hi all,is there a special way to remove the skin from the blue foam!!??

thanks in advance
CRASH GORDON is offline Find More Posts by CRASH GORDON
Old Jan 05, 2005, 08:25 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,047 Posts
can I get away with less dihedral indoors??? ... wing now has a natural 3/4" total dihedral .... all the weight is under the wing anyway ...????
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jan 05, 2005, 08:37 AM
Romans 1:16
Ft Walton Beach, FL
Joined Jan 2003
122 Posts
I have found the best way to remove the skin to be with a broom handle. Simply start at a corner and roll the broom stick diagonally across the foam. It all comes off in one piece. If it tears at one of the holes, just use an exacto to lift up the part that tore and keep on rolling.
Christo is offline Find More Posts by Christo
Old Jan 05, 2005, 09:54 AM
sardis,bc
Joined Sep 2003
502 Posts
cheers christo,ill try that.LOL @ your avitar.
Old Jan 05, 2005, 10:26 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
can I get away with less dihedral indoors??? ... wing now has a natural 3/4" total dihedral .... all the weight is under the wing anyway ...????
Probably... There's quite a bit of authority in big'ol tail If not enough, just make the control surfaces 50% bigger
Old Jan 05, 2005, 10:47 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I was asked to post some additional pictures, showing the control horns and equipment layout. Here they are

The Servos are hot glued to a couple of cross sticks (Starbucks coffee stir sticks) that are CA'd to the fuse stick.

The Control Horns are made from 3/4" long sections of Starbucks coffee stir sticks, and hot-glued into a slot cut in the control surface's foam.
Old Jan 06, 2005, 04:41 AM
sardis,bc
Joined Sep 2003
502 Posts
thanks again gene,only about 1 1/2 hrs work left on it but its real crappy weather here!!maybe have to wait another 3 monthe to madin it hahahahahaha.
Old Jan 06, 2005, 05:39 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I know the feeling. If it doesn't stop raining here I'll have to build an arc! At least it's just above freezing....
Old Jan 06, 2005, 01:09 PM
filteredsoul
n/a Posts
I'm really interested in building this plane, however the only motor/battery combo I have is an AXI 2208-34 and a TP 2s1320. I'm sure these electronics would push the 5 oz AUW kind of high. Without having to buy a CDrom motor and a tiny lipo pack, what could I do to the design of this airframe to accomodate the weight of my electrics? I still want the ultra-slow, maneuverable flight characteristics. I figured maybe making the wing a 36" span would help? (greater surface area/lower loading, higher drag= slower?)
Thanks for any advice,
Dan
Old Jan 06, 2005, 04:12 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Dan: I'd say yu are on the right track. I'd try sizing it up about 25%, which would be 35x10" wing, a bigger tail, and longer fuse stick. I'd probably go to a 1/4x3/8" stick for the fuse. I've thought about working on something for this power range, for a geared J-250. Should be able to be below 7 ounces.

Let me know if you need any help figuring it out...
Old Jan 06, 2005, 04:22 PM
Why aren't you out flyin?
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
Joined Mar 2004
2,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
Dan: I'd say yu are on the right track. I'd try sizing it up about 25%, which would be 35x10" wing, a bigger tail, and longer fuse stick. I'd probably go to a 1/4x3/8" stick for the fuse. I've thought about working on something for this power range, for a geared J-250. Should be able to be below 7 ounces.

Let me know if you need any help figuring it out...
I have a very similar plane, something close to your blustik but 40" span x 12" chord and it is powered with an axi 2208/34 just as Dan wants to do. It is nicely overpowered at about 12oz plus battery.
-Rick
colbyweb is offline Find More Posts by colbyweb