16,632 Posts
Sorry t1, it's there now!
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2004, 04:00 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Jan 2002
1,199 Posts
Looks good Gene. I cut one out and stuck it all together in about an hour and a half. All I added was a couple inches of 1/8" carbon fiber tube to keep the rubber bands from crushing the leading and trailing edges of the wings.

All the plastic I removed from the foam weighed 11 grams, or about 3/8 oz.

Glue's drying, I'll get an airframe weight after I do the landing gear.

Thanks for the plan!

John
jbc455 is offline Find More Posts by jbc455
Old Jan 01, 2005, 03:32 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I used a little bit of tape on the LE and TE to protect the wing from the rubber bands. Forgot to document it....
Old Jan 01, 2005, 08:52 AM
Sam Talley
Nashville, TN
Joined May 2003
299 Posts
Flying on New Year's Day

Thanks for a great design, Gene. I flew my Gym-Blu yesterday in the gym at my church's recreation center.

I woke up this morning to a perfect day, 50 degrees and no wind. I live across the street from a large hayfield, part of the Ellington Agriculture Center here in Nashville. Here are some photos:
Ranger13 is offline Find More Posts by Ranger13
Old Jan 01, 2005, 09:18 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Looks good Ranger. I see you used the Pink FF, what weight did you wind up with?

Any corrections or mistakes on the plans?

Thanks!
Old Jan 01, 2005, 09:35 AM
Sam Talley
Nashville, TN
Joined May 2003
299 Posts
According to my spring-balance kitchen scale, AUW is 7 ounces. I could have built it lighter, but I used what I had on hand, 1/4 dowel rod for the fuselage, 1/16 wire for the landing gear, foam wheels with plastic hubs from Hobby Lobby (my LHS).

I didn't cook the wings, so the first flight resulted in a very convincing ornithopter impersonation. I added a strip a blue masking tape from one wingtip under the fuselage to the other wingtip for a dihedral brace. I will replace this with Spiderline today.

Thanks for all you do to make Ezonemag a great resource.
Ranger13 is offline Find More Posts by Ranger13
Old Jan 01, 2005, 09:47 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Thanks. Yes, at 7oz, the wing will need some bracing. Soaking/steaming and bending a skewer to tape to the LE would work well. As you found it doesn't need much bracing.

I haven't been home but about 24 hours since my maiden (I'm out of town again, now), so haven't has a chance to see what the power and weight limits are

Thanks again.
Old Jan 01, 2005, 10:52 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,192 Posts
G/bond ... I found an easy way to put dihedral in the Gym-Blu wing .... airfoiled it on the Bendfoam jig , placed the tips on two bricks and heated the center section with my heat gun (gently ) whilst' pressing down on the center with a pencil ...results nice sorta' elliptica dihedral ...easier than cutting and gluing and saves the weight of the glue joint ...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jan 01, 2005, 03:13 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Sounds EXACTLY what I was thinking of. I basically did the same thing on my old BlyStik wings, but I added the bent brace to the LE as well to hold it. For this prototype, I used the sanded and glued dihedral joint... Probond takes forever in a cold garage! The next one will be done the way you describe... compund bending with a little heat for help!
Old Jan 01, 2005, 03:37 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Jan 2002
1,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
... Probond takes forever in a cold garage!...
You're not kidding. 14 hours later, mine's STILL drying. I just moved it into the house so it should be dry in an hour.

Without landing gear, it weighs 44 grams, or about an ounce and a half.
Old Jan 01, 2005, 03:41 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Jan 2002
1,199 Posts
A couple other things I observed/remembered when putting this one together:

Foam-safe CA doesn't melt Bluecor, but accellerator sure does!

Packing tape doesn't stick well to tempered foam. I used hinge material instead.

It's better to melt the dihedral in than to cut the wing in half and glue it back together.
Old Jan 01, 2005, 04:55 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
jb:

Good tips.

Bob Smith Industries has some foam safe accellerator. It still isn't great, but doesn't melt the foam.

Might be good to lightly sand a tempered surface before taping? Funny how it repels tape after tempering.

Tyvek envelopes, overhead transparency film, and floppy disk media are all great hinges... cut into 1/4 x 1" strips.

Hot glue works well for the V-tail attatchment.
Old Jan 01, 2005, 05:37 PM
sardis,bc
Joined Sep 2003
502 Posts
very neet little plane,down loaded plans.some video would be very cool.now off to look for some foam.
CRASH GORDON is offline Find More Posts by CRASH GORDON
Old Jan 02, 2005, 11:57 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,192 Posts
Here's a bummer!!! I bent the wing in my jig , put the dihedral in ,all with the skin on ....peeled the skin off, lost most of the airfoil and dihedral.... That was DUMB!!! Back to the jig with my peeled foam ....

Here's a trick !!! I use Scotch transparent tape for my hinges on most everything ....on peeled foam and dep, I've had good luck by swiping some canopy cement (pacer formula 560) on the foam first (lightly )where the hinges go, let it dry completely and then apply the tape and burnish it down (it IS pressure sensitive)with a rounded stick or something appropriate.... Not too many problems with tape coming off ....so far ...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Last edited by gpw; Jan 02, 2005 at 11:59 AM. Reason: bad spellering?
Old Jan 02, 2005, 01:55 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Jan 2002
1,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
...I use Scotch transparent tape for my hinges on most everything ....on peeled foam and dep, I've had good luck by swiping some canopy cement (pacer formula 560) on the foam first (lightly )where the hinges go, let it dry completely and then apply the tape and burnish it down (it IS pressure sensitive)with a rounded stick or something appropriate.... Not too many problems with tape coming off ....so far ...
I used to do that too, but decided it was far too much work. I find it MUCH easier to cut a slot and glue in a scrap of hinge material.