HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2004, 10:03 PM
Near Denver Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
11 Posts
Question
Me 262 Turbine Kits available

Hi all,
I'm working on what I've called "My Me 262 Project". After a year of eatin' Top Ramen, Cup 'o Noodle, 'n 5 for a dollar store brand Mac 'n Cheeze, I've saved up enough to begin the "information gathering" stage.

I've found several Me 262 kits out there so far. The Storm Birds site had a page dedicated to different models 'n had several sites of mfg's who offer kits. I think I've narrowed it down to the Mackay/AirWorld Kit offerred either w/a finished paint job or not. I also saw the HUGE quarter scale kit offered by Deslandes Designs, but that's a little (ok a LOT) bigger than I wanna go.

Given my disability from a 2-level lumbar spinal fusion which went arwy leaving me worse than before the surgery I'm going to need a kit which is as close to an ARF kit as possible. Hopefully I'll find a good R/C Club up here in Denver 'n either get some help that way or find someone interested in building it out for me.

Now for the bad news; other than having flown several single turbine jets via a buddy-box, I've absolutely no R/C Turbine experience, not a piece of R/C equipment 'n other than the desire ('n my nest egg of 12k), I'm goin' into this hobby "cold". I don't even know if even that sizeable nest egg will be enough for this but that's what I've got to work with right now. I plan on beginning the "parts acquisition" stage of the project in mid/late April '05 (it's a finance/tax thing), 'n hopefully be ready for her public debut in late summer or early fall.

I know, I know, I've read all the FAQ's, How-Toz, 'n negative press about this hobby's penchant for sucking money out of a bank account faster than an ex wife. It's still not enough to dissuade me from this endeavor. Being single, without kids in the house, 'n now unable to do any of my other hobby's; competition pistol shooting, muzzle-loading, Rev War re-enacting, biking, hiking, HUNTING, fly fishing, back pack camping, etc, I should have enough disposeable income to fly once in a while. About the only hobby I can do albeit very slowly is gemstone faceting. To be honest at this point, even if she's just a static display hangin' from my living room ceiling once I get her finished I'll be happy.

One thing I am having a tough time finding is turbines which deliver only a 7lb thrust. I found WREN MW44's, 'n SimJet's 700's. Other than those two I've struck out with mfg's touting smaller, lighter, more powerful turbines for their new products. Any input on either the WREN MW44's or the SimJet 700's as far as reliability, quaility, maintenance, ease of contacting service, etc is more than welcomed.

Even though I'm only at the preliminary stages of this, I welcome any and all input. Other than stumbling onto this 'n one other forum, I've been devouring every web site I can on R/C Turbine Aircraft. It seems for every person in the hobby there's an opinion of what's right/wrong, good/bad, etc, 'n it's the same as my other hobbys so no surprise there. If I take the mfg's hype for their product, divide by 3.1415926 I should get a realistic idea of their quality, service, 'n product, lol.

Any help by the board in listing the kits you either have seen fly or know of would really be appreciated. The shipping on the Mackay/AirWorld Kit out of the UK is quite high, 'n while it's the front runner in the "competition", a US made kit of comparable quality/degree of assembly would be something to entertain as well.

Thank you all in advance for takin' time to read, 'n reply to this thread. I appreciate any input, 'n welcome everything from encouragement to outright ridicule. Believe me you can't say anything which will offend me worse than I've already heard from my family about this new "hobby".

take care all, 'n have a safe holiday season,
todd aka TD-Gunz
TD-Gunz is offline Find More Posts by TD-Gunz
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2004, 02:49 AM
Gravity Storm Victim
Fabulous Las Vegas!!!
Joined Nov 2004
174 Posts
TD-Gunz, welcome and you're not alone in this hobby!!! I would love to fly jets someday, but right now I'll stick to the cheaper side of R/C aviation - crashing gliders!!! Just wanted to say good luck and I hope your back gets better soon!!!
parrothead is offline Find More Posts by parrothead
Old Dec 24, 2004, 09:58 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
The Airworld kit is very reasonable for what it is. It's extremeley well built, and well detailed. I would get the unpainted one, the factory paint job is nice, but you can do better.
Not sure who the US distributor is, but if you get it out of the UK, make sure you ASK to get teh 17.5% VAT removed.
I know a guy who is selling one, named Waldo Love, in south carolina...maybe he can chime in? This was months ago, though, don't know if he still has it.
There is no US made equivalent, and the Airworld one is not even made in the UK anyway, it comes from the Czech Republic. You should be able to get it from some other route than Stuart McKay...no offense to him, but everything costs more in the UK, and it's daft to buy something from the Czech Republic from the UK distributor and ship it to the USA.
Search harder and find another source.
Everyone speaks highly about the WREN, but I don't have one myself. I don't think you can go too wrong with that.
The Simjet is supported here in the USA by Great Northern Models, really nice people. I doubt you will go wrong with THAT, either.
You will be paying $5k for a pair of engines, either way. Not so outrageous.
It's a really cool project. Make it into the two-seat nightfighter version!
easytiger is offline Find More Posts by easytiger
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:00 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
PS it's just about your only choice, unless you want to get into a real giant, or you want a small electric. You might want to get a small electric like the K&A one just to keep yourself interested while you build the big one.
And you had better work on your piloting skills, get an appropriate jet trainer to get your thumbs in shape. You get two steps behind on a plane like this and POW. Ten thousand dollar smoking hole.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 02:15 PM
Col.Hooligan Air Force
Phoenix,Arizona
Joined Jul 2001
1,205 Posts
Hi Todd
Dont know if Waldo's (Airworld)kit is available, it was a toki df powered ,to my knowledge never flew. no power ..ET is right Airworld is the mfg and their either located in Germany or Czeck rep. search www.airworld modellbra will work..
IMO the 400 sized electric 262( at least on nicads) was a DOG, even without gear, I was lucky to get more than 2 mins of air time
The MW 44 pushed the Airworld kit very realisticaly, speed demon it's not & only hassle is the lack of auto start. Jet Cat spoiled me, the sim jets just might be the ticket . If I did another I might even go with P 60's , that is if I hit the Lotto. BTW the B2 night ver. will be powered by bee's .
Semper Fi
Joe
uncljoe is offline Find More Posts by uncljoe
Old Dec 28, 2004, 12:14 AM
Col.Hooligan Air Force
Phoenix,Arizona
Joined Jul 2001
1,205 Posts
Santa drives a FEDEX truck

MY Quarter scale Me 262 arrived today composite kit by www.aero-precikit.com 105 " long wing span 124" hope to power it by Jet Cat P120' maiden in arizona before Best of the West
Semper Fi
Joe
PS thats a 7 " wheel
Old Dec 28, 2004, 03:21 PM
Near Denver Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
11 Posts
WoW! THAT'S A PLUS SIZE 262 !!

Hmmm, when I stretched out my tape measure to see what the 105 inch fuselage length would look like, I didn't quite grasp the impact of its full size once it was sittin' on the couch! That is a real MONSTER!

How detailed is the molding, if I might ask? Patrick Deslandes said their mold cast all the details of the panel lines, access hatches, rivets, etc, 'n I wondered how much detail they really put into it.

Are you sure that's gonna come in under the AMA's maximum weight once she's ready to fly? The P120's weigh over 3lbs each, 'n even w/the all glass body you're gonna have a lotta weight once she's loaded, wet 'n ready. Hmm I think I knew a gurl like that

You'll need some strong retracts to hoist A pair of seven inch wheels up 'n down, are they tubed tires? I believe you said you'd gotten the specs aheada time 'n had Century make up the retracts for you.

I can't wait ta see you get her together!! It's really gonna be a show stopper, that's for sure. There's only a handful of 262's being flown in the US anyway. I don't recall seein' pix of any that were a quarter scale like she is. There's one guy in Florida makes a quarter scale kit doesn't he? In perusing pix of different shows I found on the web I sure didn't see all that many. The shows in Europe have more, but it's a kit outta the EU, so they probably would have a better representation of it there.

I'm envious already, but pretty much have my sites locked on the AirWorld Kit. IF I can ever get them to respond. I guess they take holidays serious over there. Hopefully they'll respond next week, but I'm in no hurry as I can't start buyin' stuff yet. BTW, did you make that into a two seater, or is that an option on the AirWorld Kit? I didn't see it listed.

Anyway; Good Luck, can you post pics of her as you build her out so we can see how she "dresses up"? It'd be great ta see her come together.

take care, 'n do good,
todd aka TD-Gunz
Old Dec 28, 2004, 03:52 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
That thing is awesome. 55 pounds? Probably pushing it. My guess is it would depend on who was building it and what extras were put in. Does not make it ILLEGAL, you can go fly it out in the desert, or on private property, whatever...but with a 55 pound model, I would really, really welcome $2m of insurance for $58!
Old Dec 28, 2004, 06:10 PM
Col.Hooligan Air Force
Phoenix,Arizona
Joined Jul 2001
1,205 Posts
Todd
ET is correct. over the 55 # is no problem if one does not fly at AMA events.
I feel that this bird will be lighter than the Joe Saitti kit, RTF
Right now the weight is < 23pounds airframe ,related formers, landing gear,wheels . The way the numbers are adding up I see no reason this plane will be over the AMA Max of 55 pounds.. I plan on using P 120 for power with at 160 ozs.of fuel... about 10 pounds worth. With that said I'm shooting for a dry weight of 42 pounds.....
Semper Fi
Joe
Old Dec 28, 2004, 06:20 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
Joe...that kit is really nice, and seems like a very good deal...considering...
How is it on panel lines and details and such?
Seems like they did not make any real weight savings effort by using exotic materials and such, or is that just my imagination? Seems like a heavy airframe?
Old Dec 28, 2004, 07:20 PM
Col.Hooligan Air Force
Phoenix,Arizona
Joined Jul 2001
1,205 Posts

ET
Panel lines ,and overall glass work is 99.9% perfect, haven't found a pin hole . For the size this is "Light" the Joe Saitti fuselage was a pound heavier and smaller. It's a builders kit gotta fabercate turbine/tail pipe mounts, cut hatches for engine / fuselage access . If you make it to liberty Bell, It will be in attendence.(Providing its still airworthy) P 120s will be the Ticket
Semper Fi
Joe
BTW where do I sign up for that insurance ?
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:09 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
I guess you are right, for that size, it's light. Better heavy than weak, I guess.
Can it be made into a two seater? You have not done one as a nightfighter yet!
Barring incident or arrest, I should be there are Liberty Bell again.
Do you know of any wood 262 plans or smaller kits that might go with two 80mm kamdax fans? You would know what's out there, if anyone did.

PS, why that $2m in liability insurance for the low, low price of only $58 a year comes from the Acadamy of Model Aeronautics, in fabulous downtown Muncie, Indiana.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:11 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
Oh, wait, you DID do a nightfighter, the picture is right above! Nice!
Old Dec 29, 2004, 11:20 AM
Near Denver Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
11 Posts
"Tom Cook" Me 262???

Hi,
I just got an email saying under RC Universe's Classified Ads there's a Tom Cook RTF Me 262. You can find it by searchin' for "Tom Cook" in their ads.

It's set up with twin ducted fans, 'n from the pics 'n parts list seems to be a quite well made aircraft. The seller wants $2950 for it plus freight out of Canada.

Does anyone know anything about this particular designer, kit, anything?

Just thought I'd ask here as I've also written the seller as well. Its a new listing so I don't know how many queries he's gotten on it as yet.

take care all,
todd aka TD-Gunz
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:47 PM
Col.Hooligan Air Force
Phoenix,Arizona
Joined Jul 2001
1,205 Posts
Todd
The Tom Cook ME 262 is a Classic I don't have a lot of experience with DF, but they are a "BEAR "to keep running and REAL Slimers, so with two it could be a Horror. THe plane has a 80 "ws If you want a kit I'll put you in touch with the right party.
The two seater was a modified Airworld kit done by Terry Jenkins, who has molds for the canopy modification.
ET .. as far as making the PD kit a two seater . No, I put two Me 262 In trash cans in 2004, so no Modifications to the airframe .....Yeh ! Its a builders kit, I am going to add hatches to the nacelles, and fuselage.
I owe...I owe......so off to work I go(gotta pay for the P 120's)
Semper Fi
joe
Last edited by uncljoe; Dec 29, 2004 at 12:50 PM.