HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2004, 07:38 AM
Lubbock, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
967 Posts
Mr. Lin: How about just a new gearbox housing?

Mr. Lin:

I don't know about your plans for any future brushless motors in the future. As I'm sure you are aware, the brushless craze is here to stay and all of us love overpowering your fine creations. Just look at all the expensive homemade aluminum gearboxes that have become available over the last year and a half for the brushless evolution in our hobby.

My recommendation is this:

The 20mm brushless motor is more and more common and could almost be considered becomming a "standard" (i.e. Razor, Himaxx, E-flight, etc.) What about producing a gearbox housing similar to the 300 EPS version that would offer a 20mm opening for the motor. A simple drop in fit, no adaptors, no O-rings, etc. The shaft, bearings, gears, etc. could be just the same as you already produce. This has been needed for a long time!

Thank you for your consideration!
Highlander is offline Find More Posts by Highlander
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2004, 09:29 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,443 Posts
This will take into GWS projects under consideration.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:32 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2003
158 Posts
There are already great, inexpensive brushless motors that drop into the existing 400 size gws gearboxes with no modifications... they work great.

I have a few and they perform just as well as the HiMax/Astro/etc...

http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/motor...nnerMotors.asp

Of course....I would prefer if they got even cheaper, as I think they should, because $50 plus an expensive speed control is still a lot of money.

I did find this: $55 motor and speed control combo
http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/motor...ductId=U427453
FirstOverboard is offline Find More Posts by FirstOverboard
Last edited by FirstOverboard; Dec 22, 2004 at 12:36 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 01:28 PM
SF Bay Area, California
Joined Sep 2004
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverboard
I did find this: $55 motor and speed control combo
http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/motor...ductId=U427453
This combo must really be popular as it currently out of stock and used to only be $49.95.
PilotOne is offline Find More Posts by PilotOne
Old Dec 22, 2004, 01:38 PM
Joined Jul 2003
967 Posts
I'm not talking about a outrunner motor but a geared system.

I also don't want the whole thing sold as a combo. We just need an inexpensive plastic gearbox that all these 20mm motors will drop into that will utilize the present GWS ball bearings, shafts, pinion gears, spur gears, etc. that are readily available.

Thanks!
Old Dec 22, 2004, 02:17 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2003
158 Posts
You must not have looked at my first link.

And besides, wouldn't it make more sense for the manufacturers of these motors to better recognize their application and provide a bracket or washer with each motor free of charge (it would cost them next to nothing).

I could never understand why so many people continue to brag about and want to pay a premium for the HiMax, AXI, and Razor motors on GWS airplanes when there are more economical alternatives that perform just as well...and the kicker is, everytime the subject comes up, all the HiMax/AXI diehards always start in about the "quality".

Quality Shmallity...it's nonsense, the alternatives perform nearly identically when properly outfitted, cost less, and last just as long...as a matter of fact, I have seen many of them in use, many in crashes, and i have yet to see a single of the "lesser quality" units fail from anything other than a 75mph nose-dive into concrete.

it always irks me how people will continue to propogate misinformation because they themselves went a certain route and want to feel good about thier choice. It hurts the hobby, and it hurts their peers.

**I would like to note that there are motors available from those hi-end brands that are uniquely suited to very special applications, and for that small niche, they serve a valid purpose, and do it well.

Also, I hope the "hi end" brands are ready because the competition is moving in quickly with a lot of new motors and speed controls with good quality at a fraction of the cost. As is always the case, price is king. And please, stop with the quality nonsense...it's tiresome.
FirstOverboard is offline Find More Posts by FirstOverboard
Last edited by FirstOverboard; Dec 22, 2004 at 02:23 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 04:25 PM
Joined Jul 2003
967 Posts
FOB:

I think you are confused. The motors and 400 sized gearbox you referred me to are BIGGER than the traditional brushless motors that I am referring to. In fact, the GWS EPS300 gearbox is too big, I need a smaller 20 mm sized opening to fit my Razor 400 and 300 motors. I do not have an outrunner like the ones you were mentioned

Thanks!
Old Dec 23, 2004, 04:38 PM
OV-102 Columbia
Southwest Florida
Joined Feb 2003
1,507 Posts
You could just buy an adjustable adapter plate or one of the spacers available for fitting 20mm motors in the 300 gearboxes, although my himax 2015-4100 chews the 300 spur gear up over time... there are also already blue aluminium motor mount gear boxes for the himax just like you want for 20mm size.
indybudd is offline Find More Posts by indybudd
Old Dec 23, 2004, 09:38 PM
Joined Jul 2003
967 Posts
Indybudd:

Yes I know about the blue aluminum gearbox housing as well as all the other third party constructed ones. All would be significantly more expensive and overkill compared to a new plastic one by GWS. I'm proposing a three dollar item compared to $15-$29 for a overly fancy aluminum gearbox. IMHO a plastic one would be good enough!
Old Dec 23, 2004, 11:59 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,443 Posts
We are work on new motors which identical the same size like 280~370 size.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:15 AM
OV-102 Columbia
Southwest Florida
Joined Feb 2003
1,507 Posts
$3.00

Is that your target price for just the plastic gearbox frame or the complete gearbox with bearings / shafts / washers / pinion gear / spur gear etc. included!? I've never seen a GWS 300/350 & 400 gearboxes sell that cheap, yes I have bought a few 300/350 gearbox frames for ~$3 but thats just the plastic frame, not a ready to use gearbox.

btw you can buy the spacers I mentioned for 3~5 dollars at most and just use you GWS gearboxes.

Its a one time expense along with the motor, you just screw it onto the motor once and your done. It will now fit a cheap GWS (or any) 300 gearbox... It also comes with a pinion gear to put on your brushless motor that matches up nicely with the GWS C and D spur gears.

theres really no need for GWS to make a 20mm gearbox unless they intend to sell a 20mm motor. The GWS product lineup is pretty vertically integrated, the reason they make the other gearboxes is becuase the sell planes that need a gearbox and they already use 300/400 motors.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 11:34 AM
Joined Jul 2003
967 Posts
You know, just forget I even brought the whole thing up!

I'm sick and tired of people suggesting their honest ideas and improvements just to have others shoot them down or become arguementative over them.

I have no interest in engaging in such arguements, thank you very much!
Old Dec 24, 2004, 11:42 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander
Indybudd:

Yes I know about the blue aluminum gearbox housing as well as all the other third party constructed ones. All would be significantly more expensive and overkill compared to a new plastic one by GWS. I'm proposing a three dollar item compared to $15-$29 for a overly fancy aluminum gearbox. IMHO a plastic one would be good enough!
You bet right!

When people spend so much extra money for light weight servos...

A GWS concept is by using our factory standard parts at lowest cost, while get a great performance to fly.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 05:34 PM
Birmingham Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
969 Posts
The E-flight Park 370 motor comes with the adapter in the box to drop straight into a GWS gearbox - no extra expense
Steve990 is offline Find More Posts by Steve990
Old Dec 24, 2004, 07:59 PM
OV-102 Columbia
Southwest Florida
Joined Feb 2003
1,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander
You know, just forget I even brought the whole thing up!

I'm sick and tired of people suggesting their honest ideas and improvements just to have others shoot them down or become arguementative over them.

I have no interest in engaging in such arguements, thank you very much!
Just suggesting some reseons you don't need a 20mm gearbox, no need to get all hurt. With the adapter you can use any 300 gearbox and with my himax 2015-4100 its already powerful enough that it manages to eventually strip out the hub of the GWS 300 spur gears I use, I believe the blue gearboxes I was looking at yesterday have a large aluminium hub with the plastic gear molded or press fit onto it for more surface area for the plastic to mate to so it should better handle the torque of brushless motors.

anyway at 3.00 you must just be talking about the plastic frame itself not a complete gearbox...