HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2004, 10:21 PM
Joined Dec 2004
7 Posts
Help with servo choice for Herr lil extra

I've just (back) ordered a herr Lil extra and I'm hoping for some recommendations on recievers and servo's. This is my first venture into smaller sized airplanes. I'd love to save as much weight as possible, but not sure how much servo torque a plane of this type will require. Please help! thanks.

Zach
zhadley is offline Find More Posts by zhadley
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2004, 10:47 PM
booze is my co-pilot
Joined Dec 2004
200 Posts
i'd reccommend just normal micro servos (i use tower and thats for my .15 herr pitts, although i have used them on smaller models). as for the receiver, i use a tower 7-channel but i would reccommend using a smaller one cause it is hard to find a place for it in small planes. that lil extra is a beauty might look into one myself.

Alex
ALEX DOUGHTY is offline Find More Posts by ALEX DOUGHTY
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:57 AM
Joined Dec 2004
7 Posts
I guess I'm wondering how small is too small? I'd like to go as small as possible while retaining the necessary torque
Old Dec 22, 2004, 01:08 AM
booze is my co-pilot
Joined Dec 2004
200 Posts
me personally i wouldnt go any smaller than the micro, that is what i run in my planes. i would rather have a little extra weight and know my servos can take it rather then worry about them not having enough torque. im sure hitec or futaba make some nice ones.... you can check the tourque on one micro and compare it to the size below... my micro had no problem powering two full length ailerons so if the tourque difference isnt too much then the size below should do just fine......what engine are you using?

Alex
ALEX DOUGHTY is offline Find More Posts by ALEX DOUGHTY
Old Dec 22, 2004, 08:20 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,479 Posts
Hitec HS-55's will be fine. They will have plenty of grunt for this airplane. Let me know when you get it. Seems to be impossible to get!

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:30 PM
Joined Dec 2004
7 Posts
ok, well I was considering the futaba s3108m with the 4 channel micro receiver and plugs. Is there any reason this would be a problem? the servos have slightly more torque than the hs55 and are fairly cheap at tower. However I'm not familiar with this reciever and its limitations. As far as the plane goes, I ordered it from tower and they thought they'd have it mid feb. I called the company (herr) and they said the same, so hopefully it'll come on time! I just want to have all the peices waiting for it. Oh and I'm planning on running the norvel .074 in it.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:53 PM
Flying is a Gamble...
Front Royal, VA
Joined Jul 2003
475 Posts
I normally run standard micros in my little planes. Futaba has the S-3101 with 35 oz/in of torque, and Hitec offers the HS-81's with 36.1 oz/in's of torque. Both are about the same size, weight, and cost, and will surely give adequate performance. I've also used FMA servos in the past, but they are no longer in production.

For recievers, check out Hitec's Electron 6. It's a little more than you'll need for the Little Extra, but might come in handy in the future. I'm currently using one in a Morris Hobbies Yellow Jacket, and it's been problem free. You definitely want a dual-conversion reciever, though. No GWS Pico or Hitec Feather recievers for this plane!

The important thing to remember, as someone already said, is that there is little penalty in getting a slighty heavier/stronger servo. The real problem is when the servo isn't strong enough, and you're out a hundred dollar airplane.

Finally, don't take my advice like it's the last word. I'm no expert, and can only speak from limited experience in small models. Get some more opinions, and average them out.

Good luck!

-Wayne
N925WB is offline Find More Posts by N925WB
Old Dec 22, 2004, 01:23 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
541 Posts
I had a similar decision and decided to go with GWS Naro +F BB servos. 24 oz torque at 10 grams (0.35 oz). Nearly as light as a HS-55, but more torque. They run about $15 each it looks like.

Duke
Dukester is offline Find More Posts by Dukester
Old Dec 23, 2004, 12:36 PM
Joined Dec 2004
7 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys, I've been looking at the hitec Electron six and the hitec hs 81's. How about battery options? Any recommendations?

Zach
Old Jan 11, 2005, 09:16 PM
Broomfield, CO 80023
Joined Dec 2002
354 Posts
I wish Norvel made a 0.74 It's a 0.074

I second the Hitec HS81s and Electron 6 Rx. I just picked up four more HS81s today for my modified Honker Racer - plans built and bashed a bit I'm in teh midst of. It also uses a Norvel .074, presently out of my House of Balsa Spacewalker which is also equipped with HS81s, but with a Hitec 555 Rx. squished inside. I'm flying an Electrom 6 in a .40 size Decathalon at present though . HS81s also in my Skimmer 400, Texaco sailplane, and just mounted in my new larger Skimmer.

For bateries, I recommend a 350 mah NimH pack, square or flat depending on your needs. They are available from www.radicalrc.com for about $13 ea., plus $2.00 (I think) shipping.

John C
John_R_C is offline Find More Posts by John_R_C
Old Apr 06, 2005, 04:43 PM
Joined Feb 2005
6 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just a heads up to let you know The Herr Lil Extras arrived today and are shipping tomorrow. Should be a great plane.

Mike
mikel@sig is offline Find More Posts by mikel@sig
Old Apr 06, 2005, 04:45 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel@sig
Hi Guys,

Just a heads up to let you know The Herr Lil Extras arrived today and are shipping tomorrow. Should be a great plane.

Mike
Mike that is awesome - we have waited a long time for this little plane.

I have one backordered with Tower right now............how quick will they get them?

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2005, 08:51 AM
Joined Feb 2005
6 Posts
They shipped yesterday so Tower should have them by the end of the week!!

Can't wait to hear some flight reports from you guys.

Mike
mikel@sig is offline Find More Posts by mikel@sig
Old Apr 07, 2005, 09:17 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,479 Posts
Mike - Will do....

Mine will be eletricuted! But I will post the build and full results here.......

My .40 size SE was one of my all time favorte Glow models. Great fun!

Mike (very excited!)
RCG Plus Member