Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 21, 2004, 04:47 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
FMS questions or gripes

I have started using FMS lately. I have been flying RC for a long time but thought it would be nice to have some flying in the winter on these fun 5 degree days.

Does anyone have a file for a landscape for FMS where there isn't a shed or tree or some other object sitting right across the runway from you at about the distance you would normally land from yourself at most club fields?

I have noticed that all the planes I have tried all have very mild stall characteristics. I have yet to find a plane that either will not slow down to a mush or stall straight forward. Does anyone have a plane file for something that more accurately represents flight qualities of a overweight warbird or jet or otherwise plane with nasty tip stall charcteristics or tendency to drop like a rock when it slows down?
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2004, 07:40 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPSU21
Does anyone have a plane file for something that more accurately represents flight qualities of a overweight warbird or jet or otherwise plane with nasty tip stall charcteristics or tendency to drop like a rock when it slows down?
Cool thing about that is you can make any model close to unflyable with FMS and one of the .par editors out there.

I've found that the 3 axis moments contribute the most to a stable or twitchy characteristic of an airplane. Low values for the ixx (roll), iyy (pitch) and izz (yaw) moments yield very stable airplanes like they're on rails.

Increase those values too much and you'll be lucky to keep it in the air. Most are set up somewhere in between as beginners complain about how unmanageable they are if the model rolls back and forth too easily.

Adding weight to any model will help it "fall from the sky" as soon as lift drops.

Try my Vought Cutlass F7-U. If you try to slow it down, it tip stalls out of the sky. The only way to land it is to come in low and fast and let the ground slow it down after landing.

-- ggunners
ggunners is offline Find More Posts by ggunners
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2004, 08:13 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,668 Posts
Oh yeah.

If you want to get rid of the nasty building in the WORLD.SCN landscape file, just delete the stuff between the

////////////////////
// BUILDING
////////////////////

and the

///////////////
// Trees
///////////////

in the World.scn file located in the \Program Files\FMS\Landscape directory.

-- ggunners
ggunners is offline Find More Posts by ggunners
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2004, 08:53 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
Thanks. I hadn't tried opening up any of the files before to see what they were. I will remove that shed right away.

I will give that plane a try tomorrow.

Thank you.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Dec 22, 2004, 07:20 PM
Crazy but Loveable
Lincoln Municipal, Nebraska, United States
Joined May 2004
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPSU21
Thanks. I hadn't tried opening up any of the files before to see what they were. I will remove that shed right away.

I will give that plane a try tomorrow.

Thank you.
No, don't. Its fun trying to land a slowflyer on the porch roof!
flyboy2610 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy2610