SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 04, 2002, 11:47 AM
Joined Dec 2001
220 Posts
pics from sagitta test flight

Great glider !!

flew it yesterday without spoilers. need them no doubt !

more pics in the link

http://www.geocities.com/danny_isr2/sagitta.html
danny_isr is offline Find More Posts by danny_isr
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2002, 12:02 PM
Joined Dec 2001
220 Posts
my geocities web page

if you getting this msg :"The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer."

Just try again later. need a new location for this site
Old Mar 04, 2002, 12:13 PM
urs
switzerland
Joined Dec 2000
723 Posts
e -moter

hey you forgot to put in the electric moter, pity you walking out to put up the bungy
urs the electricman
urs is offline Find More Posts by urs
Old Mar 04, 2002, 05:28 PM
Southern Rockies
Joined Jan 2002
328 Posts
Nice looking wing, what did it weigh in at? Or whats the manufacturers listed completion weight? Looks like a floater for sure, get those spoilers setup it makes a huge difference for landings although your area looks pretty wide open.

PS Whats that white stuff on the ground?

CHEERS, Rich/Scottsdale,Az.
leverick is offline Find More Posts by leverick
Old Mar 04, 2002, 07:59 PM
Joined Dec 2001
220 Posts
Sagitta

I didnít weigh it yet, and couldnít find anything about weigh in the manual
only info i got is from here :
http://www.dchobby.com/short%20kit/sagitta900.html

Oh yeah itís a floater. i was amazed from the first hand launch trim flight. it seems like its not coming down

Skip Miller was there when i test flight it, he said it was designed for him and i think he won world champ's with it

"PS Whats that white stuff on the ground? " we still donít know
trying to figure it out .just fell from the sky yesterday ....
Last edited by danny_isr; Mar 13, 2002 at 06:20 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2002, 08:19 PM
Southern Rockies
Joined Jan 2002
328 Posts
Geez, look out when the weather starts warming up in Co. Your going to sky out in a cricket fart. Better get those spoilers setup so you can bring it down!!!!!
leverick is offline Find More Posts by leverick
Old Mar 04, 2002, 08:22 PM
Joined Dec 2001
220 Posts
sagitta

hehe really hope so.
seems like i'm going to take her to a contest on sunday ..will see what happends.

the guy in the picutre got the 170" version of it, will be interesting to see that!
Old Mar 06, 2002, 06:36 AM
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,570 Posts
It looks like the 900, not the 650. Correct? I loved that sailplane. When it first came out, it was hard to find servos that would fit in that skinny nose. Not a problem now!

tim
MrMootsie is offline Find More Posts by MrMootsie
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 06, 2002, 10:06 AM
Everyday normal guy.
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Feb 2002
346 Posts
Danny... Your Sagitta looks great!

I just purchased 2 Sagitta 600's that were originally built in the mid 80's. One of the planes was built and flown in competition by a guy named Fred Weaver. That plane had some wing damage that I repaired. (It actually had a beer can wrapped over the wing damage and evidently flew in competition that way!)

I think the Sagitta is just gorgeous and I can't wait to get it up on the Hi-Start. I'll be installing the HS-81's today.

Cheers!
Don Cohn is offline Find More Posts by Don Cohn
Old Mar 06, 2002, 10:53 AM
Joined Dec 2001
220 Posts
Sagitta

Thanks!
Yes it is the 900. I got it used 3 weeks ago.
I think it was built many years ago. Never been flown.
I got the plans and manual (if anyone need a copy)

I'm using HS-225 in the fuse and plan to use HS-60/55 in the spoilers.

I noticed its need lots of nose weight, still tail heavy on mine.
But flying great anyhow.
Going to take it to a contest on Sunday, will see what happens J
Old Mar 06, 2002, 11:15 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,590 Posts
I remember the Sagitta with great fondness. I had a 600, went through three 900s and had a cross country model as well. They flew great off the high start and could be launched with a winch but I destroyed two using a very strong winch and trying to really zoom them, they simply weren't strong enough at the wing root for the abuse I gave them. One exploded at the top of the launch and a ray of sunlight lite up the balsa dust and bits of blue and gold monocoat as they floated back towards me and the ground. It really was a quite beautiful sight, sad but beautiful as the sun reflected on and off the hundred of little pieces of wood and covering. I remember flying them with my youngest son in a pack on my back...he is now a sophmore in college. It was one of the fastest thermal planes you could get and was being used as an F3B plane at the time. Don Edberg had a nice red one and showed us what it could do...While I remember Fred Weaver I remember he could fly just about anything.
Enjoy your Sagittas but don't try for a huge zoom launch, just a little zoom at the end. Michael Heer
I built two in 45 days working nights after work, saw a lot of Johnny Carson followed by David Lettermen.
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2002, 01:02 AM
Everyday normal guy.
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Feb 2002
346 Posts
Danny.... In case I forgot to say....

You did a great job on your Sagitta...It looks fabulous!

Cheers,

Don

BTW... Michael...You *really* built two in 45 days? I'd be hard pressed to build one in that time!
Last edited by Don Cohn; Mar 08, 2002 at 01:11 AM.
Old Mar 09, 2002, 07:28 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,590 Posts
I want to add that your plane looks great as well. The Sagitta is a beautiful design! Yes Don two in 45 days, and three in about 125 days. I got the first one as a Christmas present from my wife and I built it in 60 days. Flew it conservatively for about 2 months. Then I tried a zoom launch at the field South Bay was using "Curtis school" and thought that was great. On the third attempt I just went pedal to the metal and when I went to zoom, it went BOOM! Fortunately, The Fuse was pointing up when the wings were shed and it went almost directly up and just went over the street and into a yard were it stuck up to the wing joiner rod. I saved the canopy and bought a new kit at Sheldon's (still on Alma Rock) and started building my second Sagitta that afternoon and it was ready to fly on Saturday, three weeks later. Flew great that one day. Next day was a contest at the Flying Lady Restaurant down near Morgan Hill. It was partly cloudy and as I launched our area was bathed in sunlight and I pulsed my way up the winch and then stood on it the last 1/4 of the launch and the second I gave the up command to zoom it too went Boom. I was so angry I turned away but Brian Chan remarked how beautiful it looked and I watched all the parts come raining down glistening in the sunlight with a background of some dark clouds in the distance.
Got the third kit on my lunch hour on Monday and asked Ron if he had a frequent buyer discount..NO. Didn't make any new tail feathers for this one as they had survived as had the canopy again. Built next one in 3 and 1/2 weeks. I later had to replace the fuselage on this third Sagitta but someone was making a fiberglass fuse by then and I used that. That plane last several years of regular flying because I had given up trying to zoom it. Eventually retired it and finally sold it. All three planes were dark blue Monocoat with solid yellow out from the polyhedral break. I retired that color scheme with my Sagitta and I think that building spurt killed my building spirit because I never again enjoyed the building aspect they way I had on the construction of the first Sagitta. Michael Heer PS: I just remembered all the sanding in front of my garage with a Dremel power sander, wearing a face mask. (Those Spruce trailing edges to a sharp razor like edge.) The San Jose police were called by someone who reported a strange man in a mask in their neighborhood and I had to agree at 2:00 in the morning I fit that description.
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Michael Heer; Mar 09, 2002 at 07:43 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2002, 07:47 PM
Joined Dec 2001
220 Posts
Contest today- first place !

Took it to a contest today.
first contest for me, NOVICE category.
We where only 2 in NOVICE but still was fun to win ...hehe

without spoilers it wasn't easy to land it on the spot, need to install them asap.

pics from contest on bottom of page
http://www.geocities.com/danny_isr2/sagitta.html

it flew pretty good even near F3J ships, till the wind showed up
and then it didnít penetrate anymore.
Old Mar 11, 2002, 03:32 AM
Everyday normal guy.
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Feb 2002
346 Posts
Excellent Job!

Way to go Danny!

Let me know if you need anymore detail on using the rubber band hinge method for the spoilers...

Don