for beginner?

Thank
localbuyer is offline Find More Posts by localbuyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:29 AM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
I recommend reading the EHBG in the first few threads at the top of this forum.

Also, Shogun questions should be posted in the micro heli forum...but don't repost the message please.

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Dec 21, 2004, 12:39 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
Yes, the shogun is a fine heli but will not take a beating like others.

Will move to Micro's for more ideas.

FB
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Dec 21, 2004, 12:44 AM
Look at my little red dot
On the Snap on truck
Joined May 2004
806 Posts
It was suggested to me that the shogun stock makes a good cp trainer for outdoors,But seeing all the post about the align Trex 450x,makes me lean more towards the Trex,weighs more - pro more stable,con takes more power to fly,but parts are way cheaper and it seems that the Trex is more durable stock than the zoom/shogun- belt driven tail,zoom can be upgraded but the heli is alreayy 200 while the trex can be had for 160.
Joat is offline Find More Posts by Joat
Old Dec 21, 2004, 12:53 AM
Känni Perkele
Helsinki Vantaa, Finland
Joined May 2004
249 Posts
Having been through the FP helis then to zoom i wold definatlly recoment a small FP (fixed pitched ) before moving on to a CP , its not because fp is any easyer to fly but the fact that you WILL crash MENY times before you get the hang of it and DONT think you wont , the set up of a CP heli especially the zoom(Shogun ) is quite involved and it is very fraqgile as the main shaft is only alumilium you will spend most of your time adjusting and setting up after crashes that you will flying time,

Do your self a favour and save yoursef some stress buy a small FP hli like piccolo fun and learn with that if you crash the head pops off and its just a matter of clippin it back on and aligning the flybar and ur away again .

saying that I find the Zoom to be much more stable but i cant imagin the nightmares i would have had if i had used it as a first heli !
cormu is offline Find More Posts by cormu
Old Dec 21, 2004, 02:07 AM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,144 Posts
If you are going to fly exclusively outdoors, look long and hard at the Corona. Not a micro heli for sure. Have a look at the E-Heli forum for that one.
A well built Dragonfly (FP) with the right components (blades) will do well outdoors too.
Colin
Yukonho is offline Find More Posts by Yukonho
Old Dec 21, 2004, 04:07 AM
Australia
Joined Mar 2004
2,358 Posts
from my experience, get the shogun over anyother heli. the t-rex ia already overweight out of the box, with the zoom, it flies out of the box, and from there it can only be improved. I wouldnt recommend a smaller chopper, especially when flying outdoors, they are just too hard to see , and in wind they are all over the place.
I know many people locally, who bought the Zap heli, and learnt to fly quite well with the stock motor, gears, servos and polymer.
Philpops is offline Find More Posts by Philpops
Old Dec 21, 2004, 06:58 AM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
i'm with cormu. A well setup CP like the shogun will fly better, but it won't crash better. repairs will be often and will cost you quite a bit before you become a competent pilot.

As Yukonho suggests, a well setup dragonfly is a very good start, then upgrade to a shogun or trex CP when you have mastered all orientations of hovering and forward flight.

If you live in a windy area and will only fly outdoors, then the Corona is probably the best heli for you.
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer
Old Dec 21, 2004, 09:59 AM
Australia
Joined Mar 2004
2,358 Posts
you really like your fixed pitch micro choppers dont ya ozzie,
All I can say is that,
with a zoom, there is less chance of crashing the heli simply because its more stable, and you have full control of it the whole time. I guy I know has been learning on a zap, never flown rc before, and is able to hover qite well after a month, flying twice a week. He does have some good training gear, and that helps with the bounce landings. He has only had to replace a set of blades, and thats it. Im not saying everyone will be the same, but the zoom is more like a "real" helicopter.

now I have my zoom/zap and the dragonfly, and find i go through much more dragonfly parts, than zap parts simply because it gets blown around too much,
Philpops is offline Find More Posts by Philpops
Old Dec 21, 2004, 11:28 AM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
I have Both a Hummingbird Elite and a Shogun, and I would say get a small Micro Helicopter first, they are a little harder to hover, but if you can hover a micro helicopter the Shogun/Zoom will feel very stable.

The HB Elite is easier to repair and the parts are cheaper, the Shogun is very involved and the parts will cost you about $60 a crash, for blades and a rear boom and tail gears.

The HB elite will crash and will be fine after that, just set it back up and lift off again.
HoverDown3K is offline Find More Posts by HoverDown3K
Old Dec 21, 2004, 12:46 PM
Känni Perkele
Helsinki Vantaa, Finland
Joined May 2004
249 Posts
hehe all these different opinions are really gonna confuse the poor guy lul

i can see this is another long thread that everyone is gonna be 50/50 over
cormu is offline Find More Posts by cormu
Old Dec 21, 2004, 03:03 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
Hey Philpops...you're right...i do love my small FP , more than my H2.

I agree with you that the shogun will fly better (if setup right, which in itself will be tricky), and you will crash less, but you will still crash..and those crashes will cost $$$.

If we're just talking about hovering, then i can see why a shogun could be better..more stable, less cyclic required, more responsive..etc. But once you pass tail in hovering, and move into things like nose in and FF, you do tend to crash a lot more and harder. At that stage, the stability of the heli isn't important as co-ordinating your thumbs.

I think it will be a 50/50 thing..neither is really right or wrong, just have different advantages and disadvantages. For me, the cost and fun-factor make a cheap FP the much better alternative.
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer
Old Dec 21, 2004, 03:16 PM
Old new guy
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2004
3,152 Posts
I love my 60 size nitro birds, they are more stable than any micro and I crash VERY rarely with them. But DAMN it hurts the pocketbook when I plow one in.

Sorry, back to micro's.
TheX is offline Find More Posts by TheX
Old Dec 21, 2004, 03:21 PM
CINCINNATI,OHIO - U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2004
388 Posts
OzzieFlyer,

I am fixing my old Pico FP just for bashing around like you said buddy. It hurts much less when it is a $200 Piccolo bouncing off the ground instead of my $600+ Shogun. Plus you usually can CA glue her back together and be flying again in 10 min. even after a nasty crash. Might not look all pretty, but sure is fun man!

Kev
CRAZYKEV is offline Find More Posts by CRAZYKEV
Old Dec 21, 2004, 04:18 PM
Joined Jun 2004
16 Posts
I love the "is XXXX a good heli to start with" threads...

There are MANY factors involved in a question like this. How good are you with the sticks? How much time do you have flying in general? Have you used a flight sim? Do you play gameboy or nintendo or Xbox? Lefty or righty?

Some people can pick up a controller and fly one. Some people can barely fly 10 minutes without hitting something. It's all in the learning curve and how well you can adjust / learn
*Crash*Johnson* is offline Find More Posts by *Crash*Johnson*