HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2001, 12:11 AM
Go Wallabies!
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Dec 2000
372 Posts
Me 163 flies!

At last my scratch built own design 163 flies. After quite a bit of looking and research I couldn't find any reasonable electric plans, So I made my own! Then after a great deal of mucking about, the tragic demise of the first prototype on its first launch , a considerable amount of other sodding about and the construction of a new version....Success!!! .

The initially drive train was a speed 480 BB race with a 5x5 prop on 8 500AR's. All up weight was about 24 oz, without a watt meter I had no idea how much current it was drawing but I was only getting about 45 seconds of powered flight out of it and very hot batteries afterwards. So with a wing area of about 220sq inches the wing loading was only 18-19oz/sqft and, by the run time of the motor, power was up at about 150w/lb . No wonder it was ballistic in terms of climb.

So I went up to a 8x1200SCRL pack increasing the weight to about 30 oz and the current draw was measured at almost 30 amps. The problem then was that I couldn't get a full discharge out of the pack because it was drawing so much current that the voltage would drop too quickly and the BEC would cut in after about 1 and a half minutes. Flying at half throttle I could get almost 6 minutes out of it but, heck where is the fun in that . After measuring the current I decided that a 7 cell pack would be sufficient and that is the configuration I have stayed with.

Bungee launch makes it sooooo easy and it really does fly like it is on rails other than a tendency to tip stall at low speeds. (I am going to try to fix this with some additional wash out). Controls were really sensitive initially but after a significant reduction in output are now manageable. (only about 5mm aileron movement and about 10mm elevator). Performance is still pretty ballistic under power and my club mates wont let me enter the pylon races even though they are using larger motors . Rolls are done in the blink of an eye. The glide is quite phenomenal and it can be quite a challenge to get it down before the fence at my local field. If I make another I will split the ailerons in two and add flaps so I can crow brake it.

basic specs are

span 37inches
weight 27 Oz
wing area 220 Sq inches
motor Speed 480 BB Race
battery 7x 1250 SCRL's
controls 2 channel (elevons)

Now all I need to do is work out how to get the pics on here?
CraigO is offline Find More Posts by CraigO
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2001, 10:28 AM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
Craig:

Congradulations! Plans available yet? Send your pics to me and I will post them here for you (I have a photopoint account).

Greg
Slope Nut is offline Find More Posts by Slope Nut