HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2004, 08:00 PM
Team Polecat
Morehead City, NC
Joined Jan 2003
670 Posts
What motor for AVA-E

I have setup my AVA-E with a Hacker B50-9S and 6.7:1 gearbox. I plan to use a TP 3S 4000 and a 14x95 folder.

I have received a few suggestions by email as to the optimum setup but would like to poll eZone members as to the best motor setup for this plane. I do NOT plan to compete but want it only for sport flying.

What are you using with this plane?

Leon
drone is offline Find More Posts by drone
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2004, 05:07 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,866 Posts
Leon

what do you estimate your current draw will be with the 14x9 prop? Are you certain the fuselage is wide enough for the the TP pack? I would be very tempted to go to a 3P pack, to give yourself some current head room and maybe allow a bigger prop whilst still keeping the system light. A 3p pack will still only weigh around 360 g and would let you get the current up to 80 amps easily.
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Dec 20, 2004, 05:21 AM
Team Polecat
Morehead City, NC
Joined Jan 2003
670 Posts
Hi David

I am only pulling about 35 amps with the 14x9.5. It is a bit inefficient since the 9S would be happier at a higher current. I balanced the plane with the TP pack in place and it fits great. These new High Energy Density packs are smaller than the Gen1 packs.

Leon
Old Dec 20, 2004, 05:42 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,866 Posts
Hello Leon

Well its certain you could go to 50 amps without overdoing the current draw from the battery, and if it were my battery I'd probably be happy to go to 60 amps. I have seen graphs of tests of these cells used at 15X in burst mode and they appear to perform well.

At 50-60 amps you will still only be moderate cruise mode with the motor but the power will be much higher than at 35 amps. Even at 60 amps you easily use a B40 motor and save another 70 g.

So I'd be inclined to prop up at a minimum. Even if you don't want competition performance its nice to run the motor for only a few seconds and then get into thermal hunting.

Just my 2 cents. sounds like a fun lightweight setup that you could fly all day on.

Dave
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Dec 20, 2004, 05:51 AM
Team Polecat
Morehead City, NC
Joined Jan 2003
670 Posts
Dave

I have a 15x10 and 16x10 on order and will try them when they arrive... That should put more oomph in the climb. I am using the 9S since that is what I had on hand and didn't want to buy another Hacker. Maybe when I hit the LOTTO I will get another motor...

Leon