SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 03, 2002, 10:30 PM
KZ RIDER
Confederate States of America
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
Anybody seen the L-19 geared sp400 model in Model Aviation this month?

I would really like to build one of these. I am only experienced in sp400 directdrive. What are some of the best gearbox, gearbox ratios, and props that some of you fellows use on your sp400 scale models? Thanks Ray
raythomas is offline Find More Posts by raythomas
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2002, 03:13 AM
Professional Goofball
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Dec 2000
1,001 Posts
My favorite gear box for the 400 motors is the Graupner 1700 series gear box geared 2.33:1. I especially like the way the gear box has ears to mount the box to two rail sticking out just like most IC engines. makes for super simple installations...

OCModels is offline Find More Posts by OCModels
Last edited by OCModels; Mar 04, 2002 at 03:15 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2002, 03:25 AM
Professional Goofball
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Dec 2000
1,001 Posts
Sorry... I only answered one of you questions. The motor you see in the picture will be running off 8 600ae cells turning an 11x7 prop. Now before everyone starts writing about how the prop is way too big for the motor, don't bother. I'm still going to run that prop. I have done many bench test and see no reason why this prop/battery/motor won't give me the performance and flight duration I'm looking for. This is a slow flying plane so the larger prop will give me more scale like persormance. Plus, the prop looks great on the plane to boot... A 9x7 prop would also work fine for most sport planes.
OCModels is offline Find More Posts by OCModels
Old Mar 04, 2002, 11:16 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,856 Posts
Geared 400

Another choice is the common Mini-Olympus 2.3:1 gearbox. These are kind of noisy in a pleasant motor sound way. I have been running this with a 6v S400 and 9X5 Graupner Slim-prop in a 54" Comet Aeronca on 8 or 9 500AR cells, good power for ROG's and 10-15 minutes duration with throttle mgmt. Mounting is similar to Graupner. I use an 1/8" ply plate withblind nuts to mount gearbox to. Nose bowl is removable and I have a hatch on top of cowl so motor/gearbox is easy to remove and service.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Mar 04, 2002, 12:03 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
I just ordered up a set of the Bird-E-Dog plans. It's a cute little sucker.

My favorite geared combos for 6V Speed 400 motors are either a 1.85 gearbox with an 8x6 APC E-prop, or a 2.33 gearbox with a 9x5/6 Graupner slim prop or APC e-prop. Both work well with 7 or 8 cells, but I like the 1.85 8x6 combo the best.

I really like the Graupner gearboxes. They're a bit more expensive than the Olympus or MPI gearboxes, but they're smooth, quiet and solid.

Hope this helps,

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Mar 04, 2002, 02:21 PM
Superhero, Third Class
Carson City, NV
Joined Nov 2000
888 Posts
I second E-Challenged's Mini Olympus choice(I use an APC 9x6E and 8 cells). It mounts similarly to the Graupner, and is really durable.

Jeff
astroboy is offline Find More Posts by astroboy
Old Mar 06, 2002, 12:10 PM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,184 Posts
Be Careful Not To Strip Mini-Olympus Pinion Threads

I got two Mini-Olympus gearboxes some years ago, and I like them. The only problem I had was that I stripped the setscrew threads in the plastic pinion. Fortunately, I happened to have a couple of brass pinions salvaged from a couple of Radio Shack mystery gearboxes. The fit was perfect! Short of that, I could suggest that you fix stripped threads by applying a dab of thin CA glue with a pin to the threads. When the glue has set, try running the setscrew in. Or try using green LokTite to secure the pinion to the motor shaft, as others recommend for brass gears on 280 motors. Do a search, and you'll find plenty of info on such a method.

Some complain that the Mini-Olympus gears are noisy. I don't mind the noise. Sometimes the noise is the only cue I have that the motor is turning the prop!
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Mar 08, 2002, 07:59 PM
KZ RIDER
Confederate States of America
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
Have any of you ever tried the APC 8x4E or the 8x6E props?? My LHS has several of these in stock, but he doesn't carry any of the graupner cam slim props that everybody is talking about. Do any of you use the APC slowflyer props on sp400 geared? I also am curious, if you used a 8x6E prop on a 2to1 geared sp400 and then changed to a 2.5 to 1 would there be a really noticable difference in power or thrust?? Thanks Ray
raythomas is offline Find More Posts by raythomas
Last edited by raythomas; Mar 08, 2002 at 08:04 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2002, 06:55 AM
United States, CT, Enfield
Joined Nov 2000
343 Posts
Ray,

I use the APC Slowflyer props with the 2.33/1 box and love them. My favorites are the 10x4.7 and 9x6 with 7 or 8 cells.
Paul is offline Find More Posts by Paul