SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 03, 2002, 10:40 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
Any advice on desiging a slow fly wing?

Ok, I've done the go fast thing (predator) and am now ready due to fading eyesite (diabetes) to slow my roll a bit.

I'm thinking along the lines of a slow flying but still acrobatic flying wing. It must be light, and be able to perform all standard Zagi type manuvers.

How well does the Mini Tornado perform? What do you guys think of it?

Power systems? Geared 280? Thanks guys---Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2002, 12:03 AM
san marcos, ca
Joined Jun 2001
677 Posts
well, i have about 6 zagis, powered and sailplane, and recently a friend sent me a mini tornado 'kit' from the czech republic (now hobby lobby sells them).
at first, i thought, just another zagi clone, but it is not.
the mini-t stands on its own.
here's why: it is smaller, it is all-epp, it is driven by a (280?) motor with a delightfully quiet gearbox, and it gives about 15 minutes of pleasure on 7, 750 mAh ni-me-hy cells.
funny thing is: it has anhedral (drooping wings) - first i thought this was a manufacturing defect and inquired by my czech friends -- no, it was done on purpose -- and i found out that this helps to accomplish perfect inside and outside loops without the typical zagi-effect of trying to roll out at the top.
the mini-t is, even though it is smaller than the zagi, slower and easy to keep up with.
only negative i found is that the servos, battery, motor, radio and linkage are mounted at the bottom side of the wing -- i put some cut-off plastic spoon 'scoops' over the servo arms which thusfar has prevented any breakage -- but this installation makes for a nice looking, clean, top (no , i did not build it upside down, i hope!).
all-in-all, a nice relaxing plane, and a different experience than the screaming zagis - and i love um both!
peter
potifar is offline Find More Posts by potifar
Old Mar 04, 2002, 01:15 AM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,881 Posts
Rob,

You have mail!!

Later,
David
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2002, 12:34 AM
Joined Aug 2000
2,536 Posts
Get some foamboard or fanfold and whip up one of these. With a GWS S1 and 7) 700 aaa nimhs, it's fairly aerobatic (inverted, loops, rolls), but with a S300 drive and 600aes, hold-on tight.
Since you don't want speed, just prop it for torque instead and it'll pull vert no problem yet still fly infield-only stuff at 1/2 power. Maybe a geared 280 would be a good compromise.

See the JSF site for specs:

http://www.acesim.com/rc/jsf/jsf.html

Ken
hardlock is offline Find More Posts by hardlock
Last edited by hardlock; Mar 05, 2002 at 12:44 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2002, 11:03 AM
Master ReKitter
San Diego,Ca, USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,756 Posts
Slowflyer, good looking wing! Has anyone tried the PAF flying wing? http://www.hobby-lobby.com/paf.htm
I know it looks like high$, but if you do the math, you are getting the prebuilt airframe for approx $100.00 or less. All you need is a radio..The ezone review looked pretty good.

http://www.ezonemag.com/articles/2002/jan/paf/paf.shtml

Thanks,
uglyplane is offline Find More Posts by uglyplane
Old Mar 05, 2002, 11:29 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
That's Hardlocks wing, and yes it is VERY cool. I just might have to build one up. Looks like a winner.

the PAF is cool, but I just can't get past the price. I think I'm going to end up with a Mini Tornado. We're just too buried in the Predator to bother designing another plane right now. Thanks guys---Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
Old Mar 08, 2002, 11:50 AM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Hardlock

Hardlock, I'm very interested in building one of your JSF planes. Do you have any dimentional drawings for this plane? I was looking to put a GWS drive on my 24" glider I designed, but yours lookes alot nicer. Also would you recommend buillding your fist version with the tailerons for the GWS setup? Thanks.

-- Acer

Here's a pic of my 24" next to a bigger 42"
Acer is offline Find More Posts by Acer
Old Mar 08, 2002, 05:46 PM
Joined Aug 2000
2,536 Posts
Acer, It looks like your 24" wing is real close to the JSF "Super Cutlass" version already. It's sad that any flying wing design ends up looking like a Zagi no matter what you do to it. Mine was "function follows form" instead of the other way around, so I got lucky on the looks. If you take off the pod and verts, it's just a wing.

Depending on the weight of your wing, it would be easy to try an adaption. Take off the fins and tape them inboard of the elevons, add the motor "stick" with a rubber band, cover with soft foam pod and try it. The weight of the hollow foamboard makes mine real light. If your empty wing weights more than about 5oz, and or has much less than 250 sq in. area, it won't be much of a slow flyer.

Since you already fly wings, you don't need a "trainer" so I'd go with the "SC". It still flys almost as slow yet does more tricks. I'm starting a combined version with ailerons & tailerons.

Email me and I'll send you some rough drawings.
hardlock is offline Find More Posts by hardlock