Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 18, 2004, 08:02 PM
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Nov 2000
167 Posts
Motor Comparison Chart

Is there a chart to compare the various brushless motors? I am specifically looking for the Himaxx outrunner that is very close to the AXI 2208/34.

Thanks,

John
jmiceli11 is offline Find More Posts by jmiceli11
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2004, 04:45 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Nope.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Dec 19, 2004, 05:12 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Well there is the charts at www.flymodel.org

You can also check threads in the Power Systems section. The threads on the Himax outrunners compare them to various Ax motors. The Himax 2808 is equivalent to the Axi 2208, but then you have compare winds.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Dec 19, 2004, 09:38 AM
JustGoFly
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2003
699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiceli11
Is there a chart to compare the various brushless motors? I am specifically looking for the Himaxx outrunner that is very close to the AXI 2208/34.

Thanks,

John
Why spend $75 when $50 will do. Check out http://www.JustGoFly.com - email me and I will help you choose the right setup. I don't think any two people like the same setup - so it's difficult saying what you want. The 2204/34 is comparable to the faster 400T. But something else might suit you better.

Vinnie - Self appointed Motor Tailor
Vindicator! is offline Find More Posts by Vindicator!
Old Mar 06, 2010, 09:45 PM
I fly,hover,sail,drive & crawl
USA, CA, Chino Hills
Joined Jan 2009
301 Posts
I have the same question. If I am buying a motor and the box reads I need an Eflite 250, how do I know what motor to buy from other vendors to match?

This is why I am also looking for a comparison chart.
quiel is offline Find More Posts by quiel
Old Mar 06, 2010, 09:53 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
here's a good place to start.
http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/Sco...ison%20Web.htm
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 07, 2010, 12:38 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,802 Posts
Compare the motor's weight, Kv rating, max and continuous current ratings, recommended cell counts (2S, 3S-4S, etc.), max Amps, Watts, recommended model weights, etc.

If you are comparing cheap motors to high quality motors, down rate the continuous and max Amps specs on the cheap motor to about 75% of what is advertised.

Maybe even go with a cheap motor with a little higher weight and current ratings to avoid disappointments. Cheap motors have cheap magnets, lower quality bearings, etc., you are not likely to match the performance of a high quality motor if you just match the specs. There is no free lunch!

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Mar 07, 2010, 02:22 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Why spend $75 or $50 when $8 will do?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2111
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Old Mar 07, 2010, 08:43 PM
Joined Sep 2008
675 Posts
There's places in the US where you can get equivalent motors for almost as low a price (equal price once you figure in shipping). And you don't have to wait for the boat from China to get here. And you don't have to ever deal with HK "customer service".
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Mar 08, 2010, 06:25 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,802 Posts
Here is a good resource for comparing electric RC components:

http://www.progressiverc.com/index.p...d=13&Itemid=18

If you go to the Brushless motor link from that page you'll get a list of a lot of motors:

http://www.progressiverc.com/Brushless_Motor.html

and you can resort that list by clicking the the column headings. For comparing motors of a given approximate size resorting the columns by weight would be a good start.

I'm not sure how comprehensive that list is and how up to date but it is a good start on what you want to do.

Jack
Old Mar 08, 2010, 08:56 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorae View Post
There's places in the US where you can get equivalent motors for almost as low a price (equal price once you figure in shipping). And you don't have to wait for the boat from China to get here. And you don't have to ever deal with HK "customer service".
That's true. It's worth it to order from HobbyKing when you've got $100 or more to order... spend the extra on the EMS shipping. It will be to your house in 4 days (granted you are paying $25 for shipping, but that's about 6 days faster than you'll get it from TowerHobbies).

Never order anything out of stock from HobbyKing and don't expect any customer service. You aren't paying for any customer service.
Old Mar 08, 2010, 09:06 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,802 Posts
"..but that's about 6 days faster than you'll get it from TowerHobbies..."

It's the Tower Hobbies prices that drive many people to Hobby King. There is a middle ground with U.S. based sellers where you can get merchandise of the same quality as Hobby King is selling at prices that are only a little higher. The savings on shipping will often offset the higher cost.

These are places that don't bear all the "house brand" and national support and warranty burden costs. And they ship quick and cheap and do provide the customer support that Hobby King does not. And you can communicate with them quickly and easily. By phone even. Here are a few of them:

AllE RC
Black Dog RC
Head's Up RC
HobbyPartz
LazerToyz
RC Dudes

Those are just a few that come to mind, and listed alphabetically. Give them a chance and they'll earn your respect.

There is more to life than cheap!

Jack
Old Mar 08, 2010, 12:35 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
There is more to life than cheap!
You are absolutely correct. At the same time, if you want service and support, there's always your LHS.

But based on the dominance of the "big box stores" like Walmart and Home Depot, more people want cheap than want service. So if you're an online retailer who's "catch" to get customers is better service, you're going to have a very hard time getting and keeping customers.

In my view, the high end brushless motor's days are over. I won't be paying $75 or $50 for a motor ever again. The high end ESC's days are numbered. CC still makes a fantastic product, but before long, the Chinese clones will be every bit as good and cost 1/4 the price. The days of high end batteries have been over for a few years. My best batteries are still my Thunder Power 1320 3S's that I've got hundreds of cycles on. Their capacity might not be what it was but the weight and C rating are perfect for most of my uses. But I'll never buy another TP with 1/4 price LiPos out there on the market (80% of my LiPo's are Loong Max, Rhino or some other HK model).

There will always be those people that want to "buy American" (even though 90% of the stuff out there is assembled in China). There will always be those people that want the service (but I can't see why they'd go to an online retailer for service when their LHS is still open). There will always be those people who can't wait the 2 weeks with standard shipping and won't pay the extra $5 for EMS (even though they saved 75% on the stuff they bought).

From your list above I have ordered from AllERC before (mostly aluminum outrunner motor mounts) and LazerToyz (because they come the to field I fly at, more like a mobile LHS - and yes, they're great people and good prices)....

But getting back on topic, when I want to compare motors I just look at the specs. Kv, weight, max amps... then on the secondary I look at the shaft size if it's listed. Google is my friend.
Last edited by HappyKillmore; Mar 08, 2010 at 12:43 PM.