Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 16, 2005, 06:55 AM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Six Raptors Ferry to Tyndall AFB in January Raptors 4032, 4033, 4034, 4035, and 4036 were contractually delivered (DD250d) to the Air Force during the last two weeks of 2004, and along with Raptor 4027, ferried to Tyndall Air Force Base (AFB) in January 2005. Five jets ferried on January 7; the sixth ferried on January 14.
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Last edited by RCParkflyer; Mar 16, 2005 at 07:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2005, 09:38 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,925 Posts
Here's a pic I took today. First flight is really close, but not today. Ran into a snag, I'm super nose heavy, didn't think it would be this bad. I'm talking 8 oz in the tail just to get the balance at 25% mac. I'm going to move the controllers back behind the motors inside the thrust tube instead of in the area in front of the fans (you can see that hatch hole in the pic), and that will help some. It will let me move the battery a bit farther back but not much. I'm running 4S 4P, a 4S3P would be lighter but I don't have that setup. Trying to get ready for best in the west and plus I've got a cold (great timing there) so I don't work on it much. Grrrrrrr, it's like this before every jet rally, down to the wire and I run into problems! Oh well, I can always just watch Ted fly his F-16!
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Apr 11, 2005, 09:46 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
She looks real nice Ed, I'm sure you will get it sorted out
Old Apr 12, 2005, 12:44 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
Ed,

VERY NICE! What plans are you using? I had to stop buying donuts, diabedes and that sort of thing.

Vern
Vernon Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Vernon Hunt
Old Apr 12, 2005, 01:56 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,925 Posts
It's built from my own plans that I've been working on for a couple of years. My impetus for drawing plans is usually that there's none on the market or the ones that are aren't scale enough for my taste. I don't usually do the tiniest details when finishing, but I want the overall outline to be scale. I converted a Wattage F-22 to edf but it just looks so bad in the nose area, so out of scale, I had to build a correctly shaped F-22!
Old Apr 12, 2005, 02:02 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,754 Posts
Very cool Ed.
What are we going to do when we've built them all...?

Do them again, make them bigger and better or smaller and better
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:21 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,925 Posts
Well Kevin we'll never build them all, too many subjects. Now if someone would just perfect the Star Trek era replicator...but then I'd have to learn 3D cad, a scary propostion!

I just got back from the maiden, I munched it. Takeoff roll was long and I had to really fight to keep it straight, and when it finally rotated I was holding too much up elevator. I thought I could get the nose down but I just wasn't quick enough, it pulled up to about 45 degrees and rolled off the the right, doing a 110 degree turn and landing on the nose. The nose is toast, it's a crumple zone though, the intakes are fine except in one area, and there's some damage to the tail bearing section. I can rebuild the nose in a few hours, just have to print out parts and cut them. Time to refine the parts and get them laser cut.

One mistake in the setup is not having a positive AOA on the ground. The nose wheel strut needs to be longer. The takeoff run was about 400 feet, then it really rotated on me and over rotated. I lost what energy I had and didn't have enough control to get the nose level. Also, the intake area isn't huge so there's not a lot of low end power. A postive AOA makes rotation possible sooner. I should learn from others mistakes, but I guess I'm hard headed. The same thing happened on the T-33 maiden, over rotated and fell off to the side (although that one was a sharper roll, big time tip stall, no washout, relying on airfoil to tame the stall). I haven't been flying much either, not in the last 6 weeks probably, not keeping my skills sharp. Oh well, moderate damage, she'll fly another day. Guess I'll be an observer at the Best In the West rally in Chino this weekend.

I'll post pics later.
Last edited by Ed Waldrep; Apr 12, 2005 at 10:50 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:47 PM
go fly! no crashes!
Honolulu, HI
Joined Jun 2003
2,845 Posts
ouch! sorry to hear about this Ed! i'm confident that you'll get her up in the air beautifully on rnd 2!

and dont forget the vids. heh. i find the most gratifying part is when it rotates nicely and climbs out.
Synwpn is offline Find More Posts by Synwpn
Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:51 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,925 Posts
Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:55 PM
a really nice guy, really
Phoenix Intl, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
3,200 Posts
Yeah that looks like a Raptor I flew once...
Ralph Brekan is offline Find More Posts by Ralph Brekan
Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:37 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi
Yeah that looks like a Raptor I flew once...
Not the crashed one I hope!
Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:50 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Yikes!! thats one hard hit. Well if they can crash the big ones no reason you can't either I still want a kit Do you have alerons/flaps on her? Just wondering if it might rotate easier if ya had a bit of flaps on take off.

rebuild, rebuild....

Tom
Old Apr 13, 2005, 12:09 AM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,892 Posts
Funny, but I had exactly the same thought. I've been considering TE flaps on my little Viper for the same reason. Three reasons, in fact:

Added incidence (TE is lower than LE) without a nonscale AoA on the ground.
Added lift (camber)
Added washout (if the flaps are inboard of the ailerons).

Very sorry about the setback, Ed ... tough just looking at the carnage. Best wishes on the repairs and your next attempt.

Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Old Apr 13, 2005, 12:14 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,778 Posts
sorry to hear that Ed. but you'll get it sorted. And maybe it's just me but I swear planes with forward swept intakes get some sort of sucking effect somtimes and can be harder to rotate. Could just be my own imagination but...

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Apr 13, 2005, 12:53 AM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,380 Posts
Bummer, Ed! Are you sure the CG wasn't too far back? 25% MAC on that plane seems a little aft to me.

Stu.
stumax is offline Find More Posts by stumax