Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 10, 2005, 11:14 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,927 Posts
Well no new pics, got distracted by another project and taking a break, but I have cut cores recently and sheeted them tonight. I really need to get busy to get this done for the Best In The West jet rally in April at Chino, CA.

I also bought an HDTV recently, man it's sweet, even though I don't have access to much HD content. The new Star Wars Revenge of the Sith was just on Fox after the OC (had to endure that so I wouldn't miss the trailer). Man the trailer was fantastic in HD, at 16:9 aspect ratio. That got my Star Wars juices flowing! I also rented the Battlestar Galactica miniseries on DVD from Blockbuster, and watched all 3 hours in one sitting. It was much more enjoyable than splitting it up and even if you record it and skip commercials later when you watch it, there's nothing like vegging out and being transported to another place! Of course, you don't get much airplane work done but....

Back to sheeting!
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2005, 11:29 PM
Watts the Point
KY,USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,866 Posts
Remeber Ed, Feel the force FLOWING through you!

And here's my Hand Made SW ANH Lightsaber. It's good for beating up my cat aka Fatbacca
netmechanic is offline Find More Posts by netmechanic
Last edited by netmechanic; Mar 10, 2005 at 11:35 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 11:35 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,927 Posts
Does the force require area ruling? Are there brushless upgrades?

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week....try the Veal!

Sweet sabre! What did you use for a focusing crastal? 'cause I'm on CH 17
Old Mar 10, 2005, 11:37 PM
Watts the Point
KY,USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,866 Posts
See edit above
Old Mar 10, 2005, 11:38 PM
Watts the Point
KY,USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,866 Posts
I stole the synthesizer outta my Eclipse 7 I can go Light or Dark side of the force
Old Mar 11, 2005, 05:49 AM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
A Little F-22 Inspiration

Hi Ed,

Here's a little Inspiration for when you feel "down in the dumps"

(Please Right Click to Save the Video) Some of you may have seen this already, or a different version (There's 3)

And Finally, Here's a Pic of Ed and Ted flying Together
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Mar 11, 2005, 10:48 AM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,859 Posts
When you watch the raptor video, check out the control throws at index 1.02 minutes. The plane rolls hard to the left, and if you pause the video (or replay @ 1.06 minutes) you can see the tail fins deflect like tailerons with the ailerons plus full left deflection of the rudders.

Bob
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:06 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,927 Posts
Well I managed to do some more work over the paste week, got some stuff done quickly and other stuff just went so slow. I added some carbon rods and tubes to the vertical stabs so I can remove them for maintenance and to keep them strong. On my midi F-18 I didn't use any kind of reinforment I just glued the verticals on, and when I was working on it upside down it would rest on them and I kept hearing cracking noises, so I figured I'd make a change. Getting to the rear hatch should be easier as well, those vertical stabs are huge.

I got lazy and used flat sheet for the horizontals and blucore sheeted with 1/16 for the verticals. I used to really have pet peeve of having airfoiled tails on all of my airplanes but I'm in a hurry to finish before the Best in the West jet rally (as usual). If I make it to the rally, be assured that there will be a "wet paint" sign on it!

I plan on using Ultracoat lite clear on the vert and hz stabs, and probably the wings. I may glass the fuselage, all those curves might be a challenge for film, and glassing and priming will assure I have a smooth surface. I had to strip plank in some areas and getting that smooth and being able to see the smoothness in just bare balsa before covering would be difficult.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:18 AM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,391 Posts
Its looking good, Ed! Having a deadline sure put some urgency in your project.

Cheers,

Phil
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:19 AM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,756 Posts
That really looks awesome Ed!
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:36 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,899 Posts
That's SHARP, Ed!
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Old Mar 15, 2005, 05:43 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
She looks Fantastic Ed!! Excelant Job.
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Mar 15, 2005, 05:54 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Ed,

That's great man. Now finish the bad girl up so you can go back to the T-33.

Steve
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
Old Mar 15, 2005, 08:28 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,927 Posts
Retracts may be a challenge, I beat one of my EJF units up pretty bad in the F-18 crash (darn non centering taileron servos!), and if I can't get that one working again I may have a problem. The JHH/EJF mini retracts are no longer available. I've got some 602 springairs on order but who knows when they'll get here.

I bought some angle aluminum that I maybe could made a new side rail for the retract out of but grinding one by hand with a dremel may not be precise enough. I might have to look at modifiying the robart .20 size mechanicals with air cylinders, or go with just mechanicals. What a pain, I'd like to smack the guy who makes the mini retracts, or should I say was making. Great performing edfs with lipos and brushless motors are becoming more common and now we don't have a reliable source of retracts!
Old Mar 16, 2005, 02:31 AM
London, England
Joined Sep 2004
62 Posts
your build looks Very nice!

as does the f22 itself http://www.f22-raptor.com/
alexpEDF is offline Find More Posts by alexpEDF