SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 03, 2002, 07:49 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,925 Posts
Mall Show or just stay home and fly.....

My club had it's bi-annual mall show this weekend. It was also the first weekend in four that the weather has warmed and the wind stopped. Gorgeous , gorgeous, spring day, the Buzzards are back, thermalling away, the swallows too. Seventy two degrees at 3 PM Sunday..

I was a little indecisive...but I think I made the right choice.. I stayed home both days, did some yard work and... flew the wings off both my best yard planes. Three flights yesterday as the wind slowed, eight long flights today with little wind and generous lift, the swallows to accompany me in silent circles way up high..The sun is still out and tempting me for another flight.

I made the right choice.. I hope you had a good early spring weekend..

Looee
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2002, 08:16 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Spring?

I think that's what we had last Saturday, prior to this weather we have now, which includes 20+ mph winds, 15-25 degree temps and snow. Last week was mid 60's, sunny, and beautiful. No end in sight for wind, low temps through Thursday...

Mall sounds pretty good. My son had a wrestling tournament today, and I was standing there thinking "I could fly in here"...

Am I sick?
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Mar 03, 2002, 10:46 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,288 Posts
Each of us must do what we feel is right for us.
However I feel that we have an obligation to support the club and its activities whatever they may be.
Mall shows are important as they give insight to the hobby that many people would never get otherwise. That could be important when attempting to get a new field for instance.
Giving up a couple of days at the field to promote this activity is a small price to pay.
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Mar 04, 2002, 09:11 AM
columbus, oh, usa
Joined Jun 2001
426 Posts
im on the soapbox now

i can totally understand your wanting to fly rather than the mall show, BUTT.....mall shows are how we generate interest in the hobby among the "unenlightened" folk. if nobody had taken the time to share it with you, you would not be able to enjoy the hobby you obviously love so much.
there comes a time when we should each give a little back to the hobby which brings so much joy to our lives. that means supporting your local club, the ama, other rc organizations. remember its one giant rc family that has to stay together to support ourselves from people who do not understand or like what it is that we do.

by the way it was -13 with the wind chill today so i would have gone to the mall..hehehe.
buckeyes1997 is offline Find More Posts by buckeyes1997
Old Mar 04, 2002, 11:17 AM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,925 Posts
Bill And Buckeyes

I understand your sentiments and I do appreciate showing and talking to folks about what I do... But...

It seems the last three shows we had in spring co-incided with a lovely break in the winter weather. I set up a R/C sim at the year before last mall show, and had some little twerp download the TVPO virus onto my borrowed machine.. It managed to get un-noticed until it screwed up drive C:\ the following day..

I'm getting the vibe from some in our community that rich, white, retired guys sitting around watching old videos of their worst crashes, ( I've seen these video's tooo many times...) and the women with kids who strangle their child's hand and hiss at them when they pass, " No, don't you get interested in this!! Do you know how expensive it is?" Well... Don't get me wrong, I love the hobby, it just gets a little self absorbed for me, as our community has never really surfaced from the reccession of the 80's.

Looee
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Mar 04, 2002, 01:06 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,123 Posts
I know what I would've done, but feel it's up to you to follow your heart. I am curious why you posted this. It seems like you're looking for support for playing hookie from school, but perhaps I've misread it.

Daren
p.s. I like your cat. He/she looks almost exactly like one I used to have.
Daren is online now Find More Posts by Daren
Last edited by Daren; Mar 04, 2002 at 01:08 PM.