SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 17, 2004, 02:29 PM
SE Wisconsin
Joined Jan 2003
741 Posts
Any Mods for the Heli-Max RotoFly???

I just bought a RotoFly and it looks like it's going to be a lot of fun once I get some stick time in. From what I've read here it uses Hummingbird mechanics, and it's very similar to the Micro Sky or Micro Skyhawk.

Can anyone tell me if there are there any mods out for this little heli? I read that the CG needs to be shifted forward a bit to make it a little more stable, but that's about the only specific info I've been able to find.

I'd like to go brushless with both motors eventually. Maybe the Feigao 1208436 for the tail, and I don't know what to replace the main motor with. Also a direct drive tail rotor would be slick.

Roadkill
Roadkill is offline Find More Posts by Roadkill
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2004, 03:07 PM
2 Turbos...Nope 1 Big one
United States, PA, Lake Wynonah
Joined Aug 2004
1,801 Posts
I think the rotofly is just basically a cut-down Hummingbird/Dragonfly. You should be able to use the head stiffener, and cut down Like90 blades, also, in my cut down DF, I use a Razor V2 Brushless motor...Great power! And very light compared to the other brushless out there.
Shane
skeppley is online now Find More Posts by skeppley
Old Dec 17, 2004, 04:52 PM
Scarecow
UK
Joined Sep 2004
2,361 Posts
brushed dd kills the supplied battery in seconds....flys fantastic with 4530 prop but no more than 30 secs and then GE!! need something with a little more oomph. Maybe go 3 cell just as long as it doesn't smoke the 3in1.

I've replaced some parts directly from a hummingbird parts bin and all fit fine.
HoverBovver is offline Find More Posts by HoverBovver
Old Dec 17, 2004, 05:12 PM
SE Wisconsin
Joined Jan 2003
741 Posts
Skeppley - Thanks, I appreciate the info. I'll do some more searches on the Hummingbird and Dragonfly to see what people have done with them. If I go to brushless I'll have to replace the combo board anyway, so maybe a heading hold gyro would be in order too.

Tikaboo - That's good news on the Hummingbird parts, do you know if the canopy fits? I hate my stock canopy, but I don't want it to look like a Charlie Brown heli if the HB canopy is too big for the frame.

Roadkill
Old Dec 18, 2004, 06:11 AM
2 Turbos...Nope 1 Big one
United States, PA, Lake Wynonah
Joined Aug 2004
1,801 Posts
Roadkill, try here for a head stiffener, and battery mount(for your CG problem). They also have nice wooden blades and tons of other stuff.
http://www.like90.com/index.asp?Page...TS&Category=28

Also
www.allerc.com
Thay have batteries and brushless motors and spare parts that should fit(from the Dragonfly)

Later
Shane
skeppley is online now Find More Posts by skeppley
Old Dec 18, 2004, 06:39 AM
Scarecow
UK
Joined Sep 2004
2,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill
Skeppley - Thanks, I appreciate the info. I'll do some more searches on the Hummingbird and Dragonfly to see what people have done with them. If I go to brushless I'll have to replace the combo board anyway, so maybe a heading hold gyro would be in order too.

Tikaboo - That's good news on the Hummingbird parts, do you know if the canopy fits? I hate my stock canopy, but I don't want it to look like a Charlie Brown heli if the HB canopy is too big for the frame.

Roadkill
the Hb canopy would be way too big. The original hornet canopy should be ok though - maybe trimmed a bit. Helihobby have an article where they've used the original hornet canopy on a wes-technik helistar and although trimmed it doesn't look oversized.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 06:57 AM
Anywhere there is room to fly...
Joined Feb 2004
949 Posts
Quote:
Can anyone tell me if there are there any mods out for this little heli?
Mod 1, Carefully and slowly take off the std tail motor, place it nicely on the bench, AND SMASH IT WITH A BIG HAMMER

Mod 2, fit a Direct Drive motor (GWS DX Carbon-brush Motor-EDF 50 Fan) with a 3020 tail rotor...

I have 17 and a bit hours flying time with 3Cell lipo, and the DD tail motor is still working a treat.
The std motor lasted about 2 hours flying time...
pitts is online now Find More Posts by pitts
Old Dec 18, 2004, 07:57 AM
Scarecow
UK
Joined Sep 2004
2,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitts
Mod 1, Carefully and slowly take off the std tail motor, place it nicely on the bench, AND SMASH IT WITH A BIG HAMMER

Mod 2, fit a Direct Drive motor (GWS DX Carbon-brush Motor-EDF 50 Fan) with a 3020 tail rotor...

I have 17 and a bit hours flying time with 3Cell lipo, and the DD tail motor is still working a treat.
The std motor lasted about 2 hours flying time...
I agree but with 2cells the 3020 prop is no good which is why I switched to the 4530 prop with adaptor. This works well but kills the 2cell 800mAh battery quicker than...well, something thats really quick. Also the tail gets real heavy and difficult to balance. A bigger battery is just piling on the flab so I intend to go 3 cell to counteract the increased weight.
R U still on stock 180 & 3in1 with 3cell? Was worried about it all going up in smoke.

also what current battery are you using?
Last edited by tikaboo; Dec 18, 2004 at 08:05 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 08:36 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,634 Posts
Who has a good price on the RotoFly?
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Dec 18, 2004, 01:54 PM
Joined Dec 2004
57 Posts
Try Kartworld.com or wholesaletrains.com (only $2 shipping).
Paul Fadis is offline Find More Posts by Paul Fadis
Old Dec 18, 2004, 03:19 PM
SE Wisconsin
Joined Jan 2003
741 Posts
Man I've had this thing out 5 times already today, but I'm having nothing but problems. One of the cells were "puffed" right out of the box, so I'll have to send it back for a replacement. I have other LiPoly's to use in the mean time. Then, when I removed my training gear from the main gear, 2 of the plastic clips just shattered. I can use nylon ties, but jeez, a fella shouldn't have to be making repairs before he even gets to crash the thing.

The biggest problem is the wobble. As soon as I get it into the air, it looks like a plate that's been spun on the floor, only instead of flattening out it starts out suttle, and quickly gets so bad that the heli just falls out of the sky sideways. One of the flybar paddles were loose and on crooked, but it still wobbles quite a bit even after the adjustments were made. It works a little better, but she still won't hover longer than a few seconds. My balancer only works on airplane props, so that won't help me any. Should I buy one for this heli, or could this grief be caused by something else? The main shaft looks ok, the blades appear to be tracking all right...

You'd think they would test these things at the factory before they boxed 'em up.

Roadkill
Old Dec 18, 2004, 03:38 PM
Blade Springs "Rock"
Central Coast, CA
Joined Apr 2004
2,141 Posts
Wobble......did you say Wobble.......funny. They all Wobble. I have a fix for it.

G109

Upgrades.....funny when you can't even take off into the hover....PM me.......I'll get you a upgrade....that will at least get you to hovering and some FF. I just cut down my Aerohawk to approximently your Heli-Max size......200 grams. It's flying great on a CDROM, and 2S1P700 Kokam. No wobbles.....perfect hover, no Vibrations. And it's almost crash break free......well I haven't broke a blade yet....or really anything, in tons of crashes....
Geoffrey109 is offline Find More Posts by Geoffrey109
Old Dec 18, 2004, 04:22 PM
Anywhere there is room to fly...
Joined Feb 2004
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikaboo
I agree but with 2cells the 3020 prop is no good which is why I switched to the 4530 prop with adaptor. This works well but kills the 2cell 800mAh battery quicker than...well, something thats really quick. Also the tail gets real heavy and difficult to balance. A bigger battery is just piling on the flab so I intend to go 3 cell to counteract the increased weight.
R U still on stock 180 & 3in1 with 3cell? Was worried about it all going up in smoke.

also what current battery are you using?
Yes, I still have the same main motor and 3in1. The main is starting to feel a little sluggish, but it's still ok. When that wears out I'll put in the GWS 300H...
The batteries are etec 3Cell 700's...
pitts is online now Find More Posts by pitts
Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:55 AM
Scarecow
UK
Joined Sep 2004
2,361 Posts
Thanks pitts. Whats the flight time with your 3cell 700mAh?
Going off the performance of 2cell 800mah with dd tail I was thinking 1000-1200mAh would be more suitable although maybe the higher voltage pack is less stressed.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 11:03 PM
SE Wisconsin
Joined Jan 2003
741 Posts
Last edited by Roadkill; Dec 26, 2004 at 12:10 PM.