SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 16, 2004, 06:03 PM
Tall Tree Trimmer
Gig Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Sep 2004
307 Posts
Throttle usage recording device

For what its worth, I'd like to see someone invent a recording chip that would record the radio throttle position during a flight.

If an electric flyer thinks they're not getting enough air time out of a battery, it could be because of their flying style.
A recording of throttle position would show how aggressive or conservative the flyer is with the throttle.
CloudyBright is offline Find More Posts by CloudyBright
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2004, 06:24 PM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,701 Posts
You can already buy one. http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Plane/plane.html
If you are looking to build one, it would be a simple matter to program an AVR or PIC to log the channels and write the data to a serial eeprom so it could be read later. If all you were going to do is read the channel outputs, you could just make a circuit that plugged into the buddy connector to log the transmitter stick output.

Jeff
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555
Old Dec 16, 2004, 07:05 PM
Tall Tree Trimmer
Gig Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Sep 2004
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs555
You can already buy one. http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Plane/plane.html
If you are looking to build one, it would be a simple matter to program an AVR or PIC to log the channels and write the data to a serial eeprom so it could be read later. If all you were going to do is read the channel outputs, you could just make a circuit that plugged into the buddy connector to log the transmitter stick output.

Jeff
It looks like the Eagle Tree System goes into the aircraft.
I'm thinking simpler. . .just attach to the transmitter and record the throttle channel.
No weight attached to the aircraft.

It sounds like it can be done. . .but not by me. I'd buy it if it were available just so I can tell how much I'm using the throttle.
I think its a lot more than I believe.
Thanks for the input. . .maybe somebody will try it.
Rich
CloudyBright is offline Find More Posts by CloudyBright
Old Dec 16, 2004, 07:51 PM
Oregon, United States
Joined Oct 2004
212 Posts
Quote:
It looks like the Eagle Tree System goes into the aircraft.
I'm thinking simpler. . .just attach to the transmitter and record the throttle channel.
...and if you record the other channels, you can maybe figure out what happened when your plane goes down. Lets see... I was flying inverted at 3 feet and I pushed forward on the sick... or did I pull back... maybe it was an air pocket!

If you Google "FMS simulator", you can find instructions to build a PC interface to plug into your transmitter, so you can use your transmitter as a joystick. There was even a DOS program that read out the stick positions (which I can probably find a link to if you want). This might be a start to figuring out how the info is coded. I believe all the channel info was on just one wire, based on the few number of wires needed in the interface.

Warske
Warske is offline Find More Posts by Warske