HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2001, 03:00 AM
weston, UK,
Joined May 2001
19 Posts
I don't know what i've bought !!

me again !
I have just got my grubby hands on a semi-scale Messershmidt twin prop bomber with twin rudder on the rear, the only problem is that i can't find out who the manufacturer is. It has a fixed undercariage, and i'm asuming that it is either a hand launch (bit awkward to do it this way) or a rolling launch - my only problem is that the darn thing uses up most of it's power before even sniffing the air ! twin packs maybe ?
bibblebum is offline Find More Posts by bibblebum
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2001, 04:41 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
It may be a modified Flair Bf110, see http://www.flairproducts.co.uk/ but I don't think they have an undercarriage as standard.

It might help if you said something about the size and weight of the plane and what motors and battery it has now. Just knowing it has 2 rudders and wheels is not really enough to allow us to help.

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old May 31, 2001, 03:53 PM
weston, UK,
Joined May 2001
19 Posts
I have found out its a 110, so now all i need to know is whether it's sensible to use two 6cell packs to power the beast. What I did hear from someone was the point that some of these are meant to use twin packs, wired in series to give enough "go". not being that into EP, i'm kinda stuck for ideas when it comes to power to weight on some pre-built models, especially when i can't find any manufacturer data......
Old May 31, 2001, 04:08 PM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bibblebum:
What I did hear from someone was the point that some of these are meant to use twin packs, wired in series to give enough "go". not being that into EP, i'm kinda stuck for ideas when it comes to power to weight on some pre-built models, especially when i can't find any manufacturer data......
I highly recommend that you ask more questions and read up on electric power before you hook up the battery again.

Electric power is quite different from internal combustion. You can easily damage your equipment if you hook up 2 packs in series and your equipment isn't designed for it.

Can you post some specific information about what kind of speed control, motors, and propellers you have? Someone here can fill you in on the correct battery selection if you give the above information.

After you post that information and you are waiting on us to help you, go through this website and start reading the FAQ and some articles that interest you. Its very important to have a grasp of some of the basics before you start experimenting.

Perhaps a better alternative for you is to use the E Zone to find a modeler who lives in your area and can help you get the plane ready to fly.

Jim

jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
Old May 31, 2001, 04:31 PM
weston, UK,
Joined May 2001
19 Posts
Thanks for your help, but i'm Ok with the wiring side of things, it's just the rest. I'm running a ripmax electronic control rated at 30 amps, with internal brake, the motors are (i think - no ID on them) speed 400 using a Master Airscrew gearbox at 3:1. this powers a wooden prop ( master airscrew again) 11x7. I have made myself a custom protection circuit, so electronics will be OK. I will get my glases on and read through the site. Cheers for all this oh, by the way, i'm from the UK....
Old May 31, 2001, 04:38 PM
weston, UK,
Joined May 2001
19 Posts
Guys - you ARE THE DADDIES !!!!
It is indeed a Flair model - all the numbers and design specs tie up ! WOW !

so, I can forget my surpression and protection circuit, and just get my hands on a twin controller for the motors - great job guys !

JAZZA.
Old Jun 01, 2001, 02:58 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,297 Posts
Bibblebum, is that speed control rated to handle the number of cells you want to run on?
GregG is online now Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jun 01, 2001, 03:58 AM
Bristol, England
Joined Aug 2000
2,077 Posts
Jazza,

I believe it's designed for twin 600s on 14 cells plus, and although I can't find my Ripmax catalogue at the moment, I'm convinced that Ripmax don't do an ESC for over 12 cells.

There are a few E flyers around the area who can help, I can put you in contact with some.

I'm far from the expert, but get in touch.

Regards, John
John E is offline Find More Posts by John E
Old Jun 01, 2001, 04:05 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bibblebum:
Guys - you ARE THE DADDIES !!!!
It is indeed a Flair model - all the numbers and design specs tie up ! WOW !
Lucky guess of mine ! But if you read the Flair spec a little more you will see that it is designed for 2 x 7-cell packs with the motors (Speed 600s) wired in series. If it has been set up that way and not modified here too you won't need a "twin" controller but you will need one which is rated for 14 cells. Not all are.

But first check that the motors are wired in series. If not it will be a higher current rating you need rather than higher voltage/cell rating.

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Jun 01, 2001, 04:18 PM
weston, UK,
Joined May 2001
19 Posts
Brilliant - the motors are in series, and I can sensibly fit two 7 cell packs in the nose comfortably, with enough room for a speed control. If anyone has any ideas on a suitable speed control, then lemmie know
Old Jun 01, 2001, 04:29 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,796 Posts
A Castle Creations Pegasus 35 (or comp) will work fine. As long as the ESC is rated at 30 amps and 14 cells you will be fine. Most 30 amp ESC's are rated at 16 cells or more, without BEC.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jun 01, 2001, 04:39 PM
Bristol, England
Joined Aug 2000
2,077 Posts
Jeti Jes 40 is rated for 40 amps and 30 cells, it's listed at 35 by Bagnall's, but your local should be able to get it.

A number of Americans seem to be talking to Gordon Tarling (over here!) about this type of ESC.

If you do need to re-motor, please beware of buying the very cheap 600 size motors. I would look at what is REALLY working with the Balsacraft models.

Looking forward to your success with this project, John
John E is offline Find More Posts by John E
Old Jun 01, 2001, 04:45 PM
weston, UK,
Joined May 2001
19 Posts
John,
cheers for the help mate - ill c wat I can find locally, once she's in the air, i'll post an mpeg of her up and flying.

I gotta say though, you guys have been a real help - dunno wat i would have done if I didn't find this site !

Jazza.