HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2004, 04:17 PM
High Speed, Triple Spark!
Joined Dec 2004
316 Posts
AC-DC Power Conversion

Does anyone have any pointers for AC-DC power conversion to run DC supplied Lipo chargers at home? I heard PC Power supply works great with a few mods...!! Are these safe? Will they be okay for my new Lipos? What are some of the the stats that I need when looking for a power source?

Anybody else tried something different or easier?

Thanks for the advice,

Marc
BigBreeze is offline Find More Posts by BigBreeze
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2004, 04:29 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,155 Posts
Big Breeze, maybe I'm interpreting your write up wrong, but you do not use the AC/DC power supply you make from a computer power supply to charge your LiPos, you use it to power a charger that is built to charge LiPos. Most of these chargers will work with any power supply that will provide at least 5 amperes at 12 volts.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Dec 15, 2004, 05:03 PM
High Speed, Triple Spark!
Joined Dec 2004
316 Posts
That's what I mean. I would like to know some more advice/tips on converting an old PC AT or ATX power supply in order to power a Lipo Battery Charger. Or get any other ideas on what others are doing. Seems like most of the lower priced Lipo Chargers (Apache 2500, etc) are 12V DC only. This is okay, but I usually charge batteries at home and don't really want to go out and buy a Gel Cell or motorcycle battery.
BigBreeze is offline Find More Posts by BigBreeze
Old Dec 15, 2004, 05:16 PM
ProBro
Round Rock, Texas, United States
Joined Dec 2003
519 Posts
Big Breeze,
Do a search on Cosel power supply or PC power supply and you will have more info than you know what to do with!

If you use the pc ps make sure your ps can handle the amp draw.
Check your charger for input current requirements.

Lynn
SCAT-R-D is offline Find More Posts by SCAT-R-D
Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:42 PM
Minneapolis Dntn, Minnesota, United States
Joined Aug 2004
50 Posts
I monkeyed with the PC supply conversion for awhile then just bought a Cosel from ramboy.com for around $25 shipped. Works great. It looks like they may have sold out though. It was a commercial supply liquidation so there won't be any more. However, I got a lot of hits on ebay for "12V power supply".

John
JZeller is offline Find More Posts by JZeller
Old Dec 15, 2004, 09:21 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Several folks (me included) have had great results with modified PC power supplies - some not.
If you want to give it a shot, check out:
http://www.marcee.org/Articles/PCPowerSupply.htm
and
http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.bat...owersupply.htm
Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3