SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:37 AM
Joined Mar 2004
291 Posts
Lipo storage box

I picked up a couple surplus army ammo boxes to carry my lipo packs in. I plan to outfit them with a form of heat/fire insulation. I don't know exactly what yet. I'm interested in opinions/feedback...

1. use small compartments like tall beer cans inside the box, with sand filled in between the cans. And maybe a bag of sand to put above all the "can compartments".

2. What about using clay or ceramic floor tiles to line the box or make compartments. I'm sure this would provide good heat insulation if done right.

3. I saw a "welders blanket" at the store, very thick flame resistant material. I think that would be a good lightweight and easy way to line the box and make pouches to put packs into.

My thought is that any of these methods should do an adequate if not excellent job of containing a "lipo-nuclear meltdown".

I have the box pictured, as well as one about 4x the size. I could even store the smaller box inside the big steel ammo case at home for extra protection.

BTw, these are water/air tight boxes, so I assume it would be good to put a small air vent somewhere.

Pics of smaller box:
clearconcepts is offline Find More Posts by clearconcepts
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:44 AM
Joined Mar 2004
291 Posts
Here's the bigger box with the small one inside.

I got them at Northern Tools for $10 and $15

The welder's blankets are $35
Old Dec 15, 2004, 04:48 AM
Joined Jan 2002
6,587 Posts
Rather than try to contain a fire from one LiPo spreading to many others in the same container, I simply use separate containers with a limited number of LiPos in each one.

It happens I use Brinks boxes, but your ammo cans should work OK, if you scrape out some of the sealing gasket so effluent can vent. Your boxes are made of relatively thick sheet steel and I wouldn't bother to insulate them - the heat from a fire has to go someplace. Just let it heat the steel, which will then radiate the heat to atmosphere.

BTW, there have been very few reports of accidental LiPo fires in firesafe containers. Could it be that the folks who use firesafes are also universally using safest charging practices? As Electroman has wisely said: "Safety is a matter of discipline". These folks may have developed an overall safe-charging routine which they follow without fail.

- RD
RD Blakeslee is offline Find More Posts by RD Blakeslee
Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:12 AM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Pretty creative thinking on the ammo box setup. But I have to agree with RD. The Brinks fire-resistant steel boxes don't require any additional investment or modification as they already have fire-resistant insulation between two layers of steel. At ~$10 apiece, having one for each pack shouldn't break the bank.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Dec 15, 2004, 08:48 AM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
What is a good container to _transport_ Lipos to and from flying? In a car--small or otherwise-- there isn't a lot of room and the Lipo box is going to be on, under or next to something. I'm thinking that a Brinks box is best, but wonder about venting hot gasses or flames in the confined cabin.

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Dec 15, 2004, 09:20 AM
There are FOUR LIGHTS !!!
Long Beach Municipal, California, United States
Joined Sep 2004
1,134 Posts
I'm currently looking for some fire-resistent foam to add to my Brinks box. This will be used to transport back and forth.

I'm guessing it would be safer to put the container outside the car in the shade. The car can bring the temp up (depending on the day).
psycho_klown66 is offline Find More Posts by psycho_klown66
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:15 AM
Joined Mar 2004
291 Posts
Yeah, I was concerned about one bad pack burning up all the lipos in the box. That would not be good. If I made at least 2-3 good compartments maybe it would protect the "innocent" lipos in the box.

Good point about just using several boxes. I should have also mentioned that there is a smaller box that is only $5 or $8 ea... and about half the size of my smaller one or less. They would make a nice cary case, and you could just put a couple packs in each one.

That's a pretty cheap and easy solution.

Where do you get the brinks boxes for $10?
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:58 AM
Joined Jan 2002
6,587 Posts
WalMart
RD Blakeslee is offline Find More Posts by RD Blakeslee
Old Dec 15, 2004, 08:30 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
RD
Thanks for the tip on the Brinks Security Box from Walmart.
Nice sized box and with a $8.74 price tag, you don't have to store all your eggs in one basket.
Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Dec 15, 2004, 08:34 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Yikes, they're down to $8.74 now?
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:21 PM
Zeroman
Vancouver Island
Joined Jun 2003
57 Posts
Am i missing something here.If you have an air tight steel container, why would you put vent holes in it.If there is no oxygen,theres no fire.I know very little about Lipo's but im all most certain they wont burn in a vaccuum.Regards Chris
chris haberland is offline Find More Posts by chris haberland
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:41 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,016 Posts
chris,
I think the concern is that the container could be overpressurized to the extent that it would fail. I concur with you that we have a no oxygen/no fire situation but the thermal energy released by the cell is an unknown in regards to it's abiity to heat the air inside the container and therefore increase the pressure. Could probably calculate that from the amount of energy in the battery..........
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Dec 26, 2004, 11:08 PM
Zeroman
Vancouver Island
Joined Jun 2003
57 Posts
That makes sence hoppy.I new it could not be that simple.Chris.
chris haberland is offline Find More Posts by chris haberland