HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2001, 07:13 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Mar 2001
88 Posts
Paint for Grumman Albatross?

Can anyone recommend what type of paint I should use on my albatross?
Jedd is offline Find More Posts by Jedd
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2001, 11:06 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
I used rc car paint on mine - the fiberglass fuselage got a coat of primer over the sanding at the join; 400 grit sanding, then one light coat of white to save weight.

On the wing tips, I used International orange
from a can; used 000 steel wool first to rough the surface ("gives it tooth," said my local paint guru)

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old May 26, 2001, 11:59 PM
Folsom,Ca,USA
Joined Apr 2001
992 Posts
Hi,
Enamel, like Formula U, is always safe.
Any of the laquers or dopes will destroy the foam in the wing or most other plastic parts.

When is doubt, try it on a scrap piece

I have use the spray paint sole to match the Ultracoat flim on plastic with good results

Dave
DaveW is offline Find More Posts by DaveW
Old May 27, 2001, 09:34 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Sep 2000
153 Posts
Hi Jedd,

I am using Rust-oleum spray primer and paints. I have fiberglassed the wing and tail. Be sure to prevent the contact with the bare foam.
Steve_S is offline Find More Posts by Steve_S
Old May 27, 2001, 10:29 AM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Mar 2001
88 Posts
I used white and true-red ultracote to cover the wings. I wasn't planning to paint the whole fuse, just the red and blue stripes, as well as the de-icing boots and nacelles.

Terry,
Did you use the stock plastic wingtips? I test fit them and wasn't very pleased with the way they fit!

Steve,
Which albatross are you building? Hobby-Lobby's? I think I remember reading somewhere that you were going with a glow kit?
Old May 27, 2001, 01:54 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Sep 2000
153 Posts
Hi Jedd,

Yes, I am building the Hobby-Lobby kit. As for the wingtips I made mine out of balsa block. I did not like how the plastic wingtips fit either.
Old May 27, 2001, 02:27 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Mar 2001
88 Posts
Steve,

Do you have any pics of your progress. I am curious about the glassed wings. The only mod I've made to the kit is flaps. How much weight did the glassing add? If you haven't ordered props already, check out the varioPROPS. I ordered mine from EAM. I was very impressed when I got them.

Jedd
Old May 28, 2001, 12:31 AM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Jedd - Yes, I used the stock wing tips. I had no problem with them fitting.

The floats were another story - the top parts would not mate to the bottom parts without leaving a "lip" around the horizontal plane of the float, at the join area. Ugly. So - am waiting for some good soul to try to make some with expanding foam...and maybe send me two. Of course, if I don't have something in 3 weeks, I better start carving balsa, because come mid-July, I will be flying the Albatros in the seaplane meet on the back side of Mt. Hood (Oregon).

P.s. There are trophy and cash prizes for electrics at this event, through 3rd place: First = $100; 2nd = $75; 3rd = $50...plus the trophy and accompanying bragging rights for the next 12 months. =8-)

Terry AMA # H20FLY
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old May 28, 2001, 09:57 AM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Mar 2001
88 Posts
Terry,

I haven't even messed with the floats yet. I've been so busy building the rest of the plane. I'll have the majority of the plane done this week, then start experimenting with the floats. I'll keep you posted with my progress.

Jedd
Old May 28, 2001, 11:19 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Sep 2000
153 Posts
Hi Jedd,

Yes, I can send you a picture soon. I just finished the last of the paint!!! As for the weight of the glass I do not have exact amount. However, Jim Ryan did a review on the HVP Catalina (MAN March 1998) which has approx. the same size wing, He said it added about 1.5 ounces of weight.

As for props, I just got some two bladed ones to start with but, the varioPROPS sound like they are very cool. I know the Terry has them also and likes them very much.

I think the floats are OK. I glued them with lip then sanded the lip down to a even (around the float) 1/16 of an inch. I think it looks OK
Old May 30, 2001, 10:46 AM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Mar 2001
88 Posts
Steve,

Do you think the floats are pretty much water tight? How did you attach them to the wing?
Old May 30, 2001, 10:53 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Sep 2000
153 Posts
Hi Jedd,

I emailed you some photos of my airplane and float setup.

The float strut and mount is made of aircraft plywood. As for the floats being water tight they are!!! I put them underwater and looked for air bubbles.

When I glued the floats together, I sanded the mating edge well then I used thick CA to glue them.