HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2004, 09:28 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
396 Posts
Rave
Need suggestions on Stinson SR9 color scheme

This is my first attempt at scale aircraft and I am just completing a Top Flite Stinson Reliant SR9 100" ws. I would appreciate links to picture site as all I can find is red, white, black, each with the usual Stinson flash down the side and on the wheel pants. I am looking for something more colorful, yellow, blue, etc as the main color. I am also trying to find full figures in 1/5 scale for this same airplane, male and female. Any assistance is appreciated.
Sackie is offline Find More Posts by Sackie
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:03 PM
Pontificating Member
Atlanta
Joined May 2003
4,297 Posts
here are a couple

http://images.google.com/images?q=St...ff&sa=N&tab=wi
tone is offline Find More Posts by tone
Old Dec 18, 2004, 11:25 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,239 Posts
Here's a website with scads of Reliant pics. BTW, I'm building an electric conversion of an old Berkeley Stinson Reliant SR9-C ( modified as an SR-8 flat windshield panel version) ( See thread under Electric-Scale Modelling.

http://www.stinsonreliant.com/
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jan 22, 2005, 08:45 PM
Beeton Ontario Canada
Joined Nov 2003
71 Posts
Stinson Reliant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackie
This is my first attempt at scale aircraft and I am just completing a Top Flite Stinson Reliant SR9 100" ws. I would appreciate links to picture site as all I can find is red, white, black, each with the usual Stinson flash down the side and on the wheel pants. I am looking for something more colorful, yellow, blue, etc as the main color. I am also trying to find full figures in 1/5 scale for this same airplane, male and female. Any assistance is appreciated.
Could you tell me what the quality of the Kit is,money well spend or?
Would sure like to know.
H. Bruhn
Hans Bruhn is offline Find More Posts by Hans Bruhn
Old Jan 22, 2005, 10:40 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Bruhn
Could you tell me what the quality of the Kit is,money well spend or?
Would sure like to know.
H. Bruhn
Hi Hans, the quality of the kit is good BUT......I have built 4 kits and scratch built a Pylon Racer .40 sized prior to this kit and I must advise that it is a long build and a complicated one as well. You will reach some points where you will wonder 'how am I to do this?' and some you will figure out as you make mistakes as there are some complex areas where the instructions do not help, one such area is bending the balsa sheeting multiple ways over the top and the bottom of the wing, remember the wing shape?...from root increases and at rib 5 I think, it decreases to the tip, complex bend, you must glue to front and using much ammonia soak and bend then glue to sub spar but only from tip to rib 5, then bend sheet to meet front between 5 and root and glue, then bend to sub spar and glue....lots of CA glue and remember that Ammonia retards the drying of CA glue, so watch your fingers...
Fuse formers are construced from many pieces, for former 3 about 16 I think, kinda get to you after a while. But nice looking airplane when finished. Also I had to contact Top Flite when I reached the point of gluing the canopy top front to the former...they have stated that you BUTT JOINT the PVC canopy to the EDGE of the TOP of Former 3 with medium CA, well I refuse to glue like this so I took some scrap square balsa and rounded one corner with a sanding block cut into 3/4 inch pieces and glued to front top edge or former, rounded the edge to match shape of former 3 and then glued PVC canopy to this scrap.
It is a truly good kit but NOT ONE FOR BEGINNERS. I have installed a larger engine than needed, I am using a US Engines 41 and have 3 servos in tail and will still need some weight in tail to balance. Hope this helps.
Last edited by Sackie; Jan 22, 2005 at 10:42 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:13 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,239 Posts
I'm getting ready to cover my old Berkeley SR-9/now SR-8. Building and converting this old fashioned kit to electric R/C has been a chore with more head scratching than building. The structure is probably as complex as your large TF version but I think that larger is in some ways easier to work on. I'll bet the die cutting is lots better. My kit was produced after Duke Fox bought out Berkeley and the dies must have had round edges by then. I wondered about the need for jig saw puzzle formers and other parts in this kit too. I'd like to see GWS make a park flyer Reliant with nicely molded foam gull wing for all the Reliant lovers out there.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:23 AM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
396 Posts
Hey E-Challenged, have you as yet selected your color scheme?...I find the basic Red or White schemes too plain. I have completed mine to the point of needing to mold epoxy with filler around the edge of the windshield for a nice look but can't get any true SLOW epoxy locally so waiting until I travel to a LARGER city to purchase some to complete the build. Other than that everything is complete with the exception of covering/painting.
Old Mar 06, 2006, 05:12 AM
Joined Mar 2006
1 Posts
stinsonreliant.com
dwils is offline Find More Posts by dwils
Old Mar 06, 2006, 08:24 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,919 Posts
[/IMG]Here's my cream and blue SR 8.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Mar 07, 2006, 03:48 PM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,924 Posts
Eric Anderson's SR9

One of the prettiest Top Flite Stinsons I have ever seen has to be Eric Anderson's green-and-cream rendition. Elegant and stately. A real trophy bird.
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Mar 09, 2006, 02:06 PM
Humble, TX
Joined Dec 2003
138 Posts
The military version of this airplane was the AT-19, which has some pretty neat camo schemes. Many of the RAF airplanes had yellow, or yellow and black striped undersides. A good google search will bring up quite a few of these:

http://rwebs.net/ghostsqd/at-19.htm

http://www.war-eagles-air-museum.com/at-19_1.html
jetmex is offline Find More Posts by jetmex